shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help evaluate two spinels

adora90

Rough_Rock
Hi all..
I’m into red and blue stones lately =)2 and looking to purchase these two gems.. both are natural spinels.. weight is about 2 carat..
I understand it’s difficult to evaluate from these photos alone but your opinions would be much appreciated
IMG_2155.jpeg IMG_2153.jpeg IMG_2155.jpeg IMG_2152.jpeg IMG_2160.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2156.png
    IMG_2156.png
    547.7 KB · Views: 1

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
If you look for vivid red, I would not consider either of these

They both will look considerably less vivid and red than what you may expect from the pictures. The first one has some grey modifier that will be a lot more noticeable in person. The second one is really dark orangish, almost brick red and will back out in most lights.

For red spinel try higems_ on instagram, he usually has a good inventory at decent prices

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one reads more red for me. They are both quite pretty though!

With the second one ask if it ever blacks out and also try to get more pictures in office lighting and cloudy day lighting. I like that it's red red but I worry that it has the potential to be dark.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
The first is a very pretty muted peony or rose pink, which I personally really respond to.
The second is going to be a dark brick in most lighting, that doesn't mean it's not going to sparkle or be pretty- but it will certainly be moody in different lighting.
You'll have to see both in motion, though, that's a certainty.
Not every spinel has to be industry ideal to be amazing and it comes in so many wonderful shades.

adora90

Rough_Rock
Exactly my thoughts.. the second seems a little too dark under normal light.. Pricing is under $500 each for both stones..

Edit : the pink stone is 400+ while the deep red stone is slightly cheaper

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
The first one is the better stone. It has a little gray but not much. Nice stone if you are on a budget and the price is right.

The second one has way to much orange modifier and will go brown in some lights.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Exactly my thoughts.. the second seems a little too dark under normal light.. Pricing is under $500 each for both stones..

Edit : the pink stone is 400+ while the deep red stone is slightly cheaper

Just seen this. The pink stone (though I'd call it a light red) being under $500.00 is a very good deal and miles better that the other stone.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First is going to probably be nice but a soft pink red shade -- a little like a dusky pink to sunset pink. You could ask for a shot on a white paper background as grey will be slightly amplifying the colour, if they're willing to provide more photos then a back of the hand shot will also help you get a read on the colour.

Second has a lot of brown, will black out and go muddy in most lighting.

Neither is vivid red. But price of vivid/neon red is more like 1000-2000 per ct. these days even from an Instagram source.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the colors are accurate (generally they are not), I love the first one. Second one looks more garnet than spinel/ruby to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results