shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help advise on this round cut diamond

Diamondfresh

Rough_Rock
Would this be a good purchase? Approx USD8,000.

Screenshot_20190409-012629_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20190409-012326_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Screenshot_20190409-012643_WhatsApp.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190409-012326_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20190409-012326_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 62

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check how it scores on the HCA tool (under the Tools tab at the top of the forum) - you are looking for a score under 2 to indicate the crown and pavilion angles work well together.

I think this stone might be shallower than 'optimal' but might, therefore, have good spread.

Are you able to get an ASETscope image of it from the vendor?

You can compare prices using the search tool at the top of the forum.

Either select only AGS000 stones (to ensure excellent light return) or, if you are looking at GIA stones, use these guidelines to make the filters show only stones that fit within the Pricescope-recommended ranges:

Table 54-58%
Depth 60-62.4%
Pavilion Angle 40.6-40.9 degrees
Crown Angle 34-35 degrees (maybe up to 35.5 or even 36 with a shallow (40.6) pavilion angle)

When the crown angle increases, the pavilion angle should decrease, and vice versa. (e.g. 34c/40.9p but 35c/40.6p)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
58/34/40.6 actual angles is a good combo.
GIA rounding can be problematic because if the mains dip below 40.45 it can cause issues.

Diamondfresh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. I am concerned about the 58% table which is at the border of the guideline. I will request the asetscope.

Diamondfresh

Rough_Rock
58/34/40.6 actual angles is a good combo.
GIA rounding can be problematic because if the mains dip below 40.45 it can cause issues.

When u say, it is a good combo, does it means that despite 58 being wide, it could produce sparkle/fire comparable to other triple ex diamonds?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
When u say, it is a good combo, does it means that despite 58 being wide, it could produce sparkle/fire comparable to other triple ex diamonds?
It will blow a lot of gia ex steep deeps out of that water across a wide range of lighting.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a shallow stone with an HCA score under 1, I believe that it will also perform better when dirty (which stones often get without regular cleaning).

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’d like to see a couple of available diamonds with small tables, more fire, higher crown, look at these. They are both less than 8K, all pass HCA under 1, an F Vs2 and an E Vs2. The E is stunning

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab
oooh, that second one looks nice - small table, fat arrows, higher crown... should be a ball of fire!

I think that's the sort of thing that @sledge would want to upgrade to :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh, that second one looks nice - small table, fat arrows, higher crown... should be a ball of fire!

I think that's the sort of thing that @sledge would want to upgrade to :)

o_O o_O o_O

Nice find. Look how those proportions play out. Small 54 table, 35 crown & 40.6 pavilion result in 16% crown height! Depth is good at 62.1 and girdle isn't overly fat either at 3% medium. Those arrows look fat & chunky too, and who doesn't love that when given a choice? Reporting as 75, but we know that really means 73-77 with GIA but I think it's right at that 75 range on actual. Lots of elements for a very firey stone that will result in a sparkle bomb.

I'd love to see an ASET and H&A images, if they have them available.

One concern -- clouds are the GRADE SETTING inclusion. Also, there is "additional clouds not shown" in the notes on the cert. Normally a VS2+ gets all my love, but I'd want BN to pull this stone and wiggle it around in various lighting conditions and confirm it's not cloudy/hazy under certain conditions and not affecting any light performance as the identified clouds are on the table. I know it's more alarming on an SI1 stone, but I'd want the warm fuzzies if I'm being honest.

Either way, you should place this stone on reserve so a lurker doesn't snatch it while they confirm the cloud issue. I don't think BN does advanced images, so you probably need to buy your own ASET and H&A scopes and test at home. That's $100 or so for both scopes, which is money well spent IMO. Have the diamond shipped loose so you can use the scopes more easily, and you don't get money wrapped up in mounting the stone yet. If it doesn't check out, then use BN's return policy to get a refund and start over. If it does, then you can ship back and have BN mount in one of their settings or use a local jeweler.

As far as me poaching it, I'd love to but money is tight now. I'm 8 days away from saying I do to my beautiful bride. I'm hemorrhaging money left & right. But mainly, her setting has those little swirls that wrap around and form a halo and there is a very thin air gap between the center stone and that halo effect. The current stone is 6.20 mm and I'm afraid 6.46 mm (like this stone) would make me lose that design element.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, the stone I purchased my fiancee has very similar specs to the first stone you inquired about.

57.9 table, 60.1 depth, 33.9 crown, 40.7 pavilion & 76 LGF

It's part of the BGD Blue collection, has a great ASET and H&A images to boot.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...0.867-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104098623002

But personality wise, the larger table and shallower crown with a medium pavilion result in a stone that favors a little more white light return. Don't take me wrong, it's still got plenty of sparkle and fire. But it's a very different personality than the other stone I commented about above which is going to favor more fire and less white light return.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results