shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help a newbie to choose b/t 2 AGS diamonds !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamantNoir

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
I came across this site and must say everything on here extremely informative, very impressive. I was wondering if someone could offer opinions about these two diamonds both from AGS (The first is cheaper than the second by 1525). This is a very large purchase for me so i don''t want to make any mistake. Thank you

Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.67 - 6.70 x 4.11 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 1.5 (G)
Clarity Grade: AGS 4 (VS2)
Carat Weight 1.113
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments:
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Table: 55.5%
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown Height: 15.6%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.2% to 3.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43.1%
Star Length: 53%
Lower Girdle Length: 76%
Total Depth: 61.5%
Culet: Pointed

Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.69*6.71*4.12
Carat weight: 1.13
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.4%
Table: 56.4%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: ID
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Crown Angle: 34.0°
Crown %: 14.70
pavilion Angle: 40.9°
pavilion %: 43.20

The first is cheaper than the second by 1525. Thank you in advance

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Without IdealScope pictures, I won''t choose between the two.
This price difference is strange, especially when you know that fluorescence should make a diamond slightly cheaper.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The second stone''s carat is incorrect, AGS gives 3 decimal places for carat weight. Also what are the dates on the report?

DiamantNoir

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the responses. Sorry i don''t know what IdealScope pictures are. To Stone-cold11, you are right the size of the second stone is 1.133 to be precise. As for the date, it''s November 2008 and the date of the second is not available ( it''s hidden a long with the report number by the vendor. I am wondering why they did that)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

From the info we have, I prefer the second diamond, do you have any images such as Idealscope or ASET please? If the second is indeed sold as a hearts and arrows diamond, do you have hearts and arrows images or can the vendor supply these?

DiamantNoir

Rough_Rock
Thank Lorelei. May i ask why you choose the second stone over the first ? I learnt that med blue fluorescence will make the stone cheaper a little. I try to figure out why the prices are so different for very similar stones besides the fact that the second stone has HA cut.

B106-020ID.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that is all there is. The H&A cut branding, MB fluor only accounts for at most a drop 3-5% I think. IS looks good, I assume that is the second stone's IS?

I was asking the date because most stones that I see do not adjust their prices downwards with the drop of new purchases, so old stones, usually have higher prices, think that peak around Oct last year. But don't think this is the case for this stone as the #1 is also from that era. Get the IS for #1 and we can compare. If it looks good and you are not that hung up on getting a H&A, looks like a good deal.

DiamantNoir

Rough_Rock
I think that is all there is. The H&A cut branding, MB fluor only accounts for at most a drop 3-5% I think. IS looks good, I assume that is the second stone''s IS?

--»yes, that is the image of the second stone. I requested the same image for the first but the vendor does not have it. Is the decision to choose the stone based solely on these images?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 2:41:58 PM
Author: DiamantNoir
Thank Lorelei. May i ask why you choose the second stone over the first ? I learnt that med blue fluorescence will make the stone cheaper a little. I try to figure out why the prices are so different for very similar stones besides the fact that the second stone has HA cut.
Without an Idealscope image, even though the first is an AGS0 cut grade, the angles are steep and I have seen distinct leakage in some of these combos. So I would choose the second in preference at this stage.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 3:08:43 PM
--»yes, that is the image of the second stone. I requested the same image for the first but the vendor does not have it. Is the decision to choose the stone based solely on these images?
These images determine the cut performance, #1 as Lorelei states, is close to the edge and add in the fact that the angles are an average of 8 facets'' value, some of facets might be of an angle that allows leakage. With an IS we will be able to see if leakage is present.

#1 stone is from another vendor?

DiamantNoir

Rough_Rock
The first stone is from Blue Nile and the second is James Allen. Queenmom, is that strong fluo bad thing ? my friend said i should stay away from it.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 3:35:19 PM
Queenmom, is that strong fluo bad thing ? my friend said i should stay away from it.
I don''t think Paul cut it if the stone was milky.
Some fluorescent diamonds can be milky, I don''t think this one will be but you can ask the vendor.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 3:35:19 PM
The first stone is from Blue Nile and the second is James Allen. Queenmom, is that strong fluo bad thing ? my friend said i should stay away from it.
OIC, then they won''t provide an IS. Strong Fluor is not a bad thing, just personal preferences, I have 1 very strong blue and another also crafted by infinity still with Wink, that I have yet to see personally. As long as the stone don''t exhibit oily/hazy look in the sun, which only a very small number does.

DiamantNoir

Rough_Rock
Now i may sound naive but the Blue Nile customer service representative that i spoke with told me that i may not find a comparable stone as this one at that price. She also mentionned this stone''s proportions fit in their signature ideal cut diamonds but for some reasons she is not certain why it was there as Ideal cut. My question is the first stone may/ may not great diamond but it is certainly a good diamond given all numbers there ?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 3:48:42 PM

Now i may sound naive but the Blue Nile customer service representative that i spoke with told me that i may not find a comparable stone as this one at that price. She also mentionned this stone''s proportions fit in their signature ideal cut diamonds but for some reasons she is not certain why it was there as Ideal cut. My question is the first stone may/ may not great diamond but it is certainly a good diamond given all numbers there ?
It * should* be a good diamond, the thing is though it has borderline steep and deep angle ranges. This might show as leakage, however if so it might not be visible to the naked eye, or it could be to a small extent. Without Idealscope or ASET images there is no way to tell but I have learned with my experience here to treat these with caution. BN do have a good return policy so if you wanted to order it to see what you thought in person then you could do so.

Also there is rarely a problem with strong blue fluorescence.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 3:53:00 PM
Author: Lorelei
BN do have a good return policy so if you wanted to order it to see what you thought in person then you could do so.
Ditto.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 3:48:42 PM
She also mentionned this stone''s proportions fit in their signature ideal cut diamonds but for some reasons she is not certain why it was there as Ideal cut.

It is not their signature ideal because it is not their in house stone, that is all. They are a drop-shipper with access to different vendors inventory.

DiamantNoir

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the input. As Lorelei suggested I will order the first stone and see if it''s the one. Now please give me your thoughts with what setting i should go for, I''m torn between these 2. I''ll post the wedding band as soon as I receive it. Thank you

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/Common-Prong-Engagement-Ring.html

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_7798?filter_id=1&collection_id=236

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 10:18:52 AM
BNile encore
Are you having BN set the diamond or just ordering it to take a look at the loose stone? It can be easier to have the vendor who sold the diamond set it in case something happens during setting ( rare but not unheard of), that way they will usually take responsibility and provide a replacement.

DiamantNoir

Rough_Rock
Morning Lorelei,

I personally prefer the JA setting. The 1.8 mm will showcase the stone more. Like I said, i am torn now between the 2. Should i order them seperately ( the setting from James Allen and stone from BNile) and have the stone mounted at a local store or i should i have it all done by BNile ? What do you think Lorelei?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results