clarity

Please Vote!

Natural or Lab?

• #1 Earth mined simple solitaire. 90

• #2 Lab created 1.25 simple solitaire

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Please tell me what you would choose to do.

1) Wear a smaller (.90ct) GIA colorless stone as a solitaire

2) Go lab created solitaire for a larger look

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I mean... there will likely be a heavy bias in the lab grown diamond forum for the larger lab grown solitaire.

Personally, I am an un-repentant size junkie. :D Origin for diamonds means little to me unless we are talking antique pieces, but it makes all the difference for others, my mother included.

Ch176

Rough_Rock
It’s really up to you and how you feel about mine versus lab. The visual size difference really isn’t that much unless hitting the 1ct mark is important to you.

Scon_ce

Shiny_Rock
I would avoid making an either/ or decision and just do both if possible: Keep the .90 as-is, or in a low
set or bezeled solitaire for everyday/casual wear. And get the larger lab in a more elaborate setting for dress up.
Clearly I am not any help. I have spent too much time on PriceScope. :)
But, really , after torturing myself with similar choices, I have settled on the realization that I like having more than one ring. And lab diamonds , or smaller earth diamonds, as well as preowned and such, brings the price down and sometimes makes that possible.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Being that this is in the LGD subforum, then my vote goes to taking every penny that would go towards the EGD and get the biggest D-E color VS2 or better clarity GCAL 8X diamond that can be found, which would be a bit north of the 2 carat mark for about $5k.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the same price as a 0.90ct GIA colorless natural diamond, you can get a lab diamond much larger than 1.25ct.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
I mean... there will likely be a heavy bias in the lab grown diamond forum for the larger lab grown solitaire.

Personally, I am an un-repentant size junkie. :D Origin for diamonds means little to me unless we are talking antique pieces, but it makes all the difference for others, my mother included.

Thank you! I recently saw my first lab diamond. I wS blown away! Then I wonder if I would ever look at it differently. But gosh, it was gorgeous!!!

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
For the same price as a 0.90ct GIA colorless natural diamond, you can get a lab diamond much larger than 1.25ct.

I actually tried on a larger one, but honestly, I'm pretty modest when it comes to jewelry, and it was too large for me to feel comfortable. I placed the 1.25 up to my E, and it was significantly bigger, and large enough to stand on it's own. (In my eyes) Just wondering if I would feel bad not wearing my natural diamond. I'm a one ring at a time girl too. Just an ER and hoop earrings for me.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
I actually tried on a larger one, but honestly, I'm pretty modest when it comes to jewelry, and it was too large for me to feel comfortable. I placed the 1.25 up to my E, and it was significantly bigger, and large enough to stand on it's own. (In my eyes) Just wondering if I would feel bad not wearing my natural diamond. I'm a one ring at a time girl too. Just an ER and hoop earrings for me.

ETA: The lab was actually a 1.02, not a 1.25. It was amazing how much larger it looked beside my .90.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Being that this is in the LGD subforum, then my vote goes to taking every penny that would go towards the EGD and get the biggest D-E color VS2 or better clarity GCAL 8X diamond that can be found, which would be a bit north of the 2 carat mark for about $5k.

I didn't know where to post this question. I was afraid of breaking a rule if I mentioned lab diamonds anywhere else haha

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering if I would feel bad not wearing my natural diamond. I'm a one ring at a time girl too. Just an ER and hoop earrings for me.

You can always alternate which ring you wear on which day. Some days you might be feeling the three stone, and other days you might want the solitaire.

I rarely wear more than earrings and a wedding set, although the earrings can be a bit ornate. While I wear my OEC halo most of the time, I have a solitaire I wear, and I'm having a three stone made with a 9mm lab grown royal blue asscher sapphire with modified shield cut purple sapphire side stones in black gold. You know, for when I want something completely different. =D

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I didn't know where to post this question. I was afraid of breaking a rule if I mentioned lab diamonds anywhere else haha

Well, I think you make the right decision. :cool2:

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
@vintageinjune , your staple jewelry sounds lovely! And you sound like someone who knows what she wants...unlike me haha

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
@vintageinjune , your staple jewelry sounds lovely! And you sound like someone who knows what she wants...unlike me haha

I laughed out loud when I read that! I do know what I want, but only because I've been planning my wish list for 10+ years. Only recently (last 2-3 years) have I been in a position where I can mentally and financially afford to start adding pieces to my collection.

Based on your post history though, I do think you want a solitaire. Exactly how you want to go about that is a bit trickier, but if you have the money to buy a lab diamond ring without straining your finances, I say go for it! The worst case, I think, is that you realize you want a bigger solitaire, but you want it in an earth grown diamond. If that ends up being the case, you can get some money back for the lab grown and go from there.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Just food for thought, 1.17, D, VS1, Hearts and Arrows (although needs ASET), for less than $1k:

If/when you want, give the lovely members of PS a budget and we can help find a well priced lab diamond that will knock your socks off. And be big. And sparkly. Very sparkly.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Just food for thought, 1.17, D, VS1, Hearts and Arrows (although needs ASET), for less than $1k:

If/when you want, give the lovely members of PS a budget and we can help find a well priced lab diamond that will knock your socks off. And be big. And sparkly. Very sparkly.

Oooh, that looks like it has serious potential!

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
I laughed out loud when I read that! I do know what I want, but only because I've been planning my wish list for 10+ years. Only recently (last 2-3 years) have I been in a position where I can mentally and financially afford to start adding pieces to my collection.

Based on your post history though, I do think you want a solitaire. Exactly how you want to go about that is a bit trickier, but if you have the money to buy a lab diamond ring without straining your finances, I say go for it! The worst case, I think, is that you realize you want a bigger solitaire, but you want it in an earth grown diamond. If that ends up being the case, you can get some money back for the lab grown and go from there.

@vintageinjune, thank you so much for your time! I do think I could go for a little over 1ct-ish lab solitaire. I do love, love the excellent/ideal cut! 1000 to 1200 is in budget. I'd rather have cut and colorless over size! Of course eye clean too.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@vintageinjune, thank you so much for your time! I do think I could go for a little over 1ct-ish lab solitaire. I do love, love the excellent/ideal cut! 1000 to 1200 is in budget. I'd rather have cut and colorless over size! Of course eye clean too.

These are under $800.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
These are under $800.

I would avoid making an either/ or decision and just do both if possible: Keep the .90 as-is, or in a low
set or bezeled solitaire for everyday/casual wear. And get the larger lab in a more elaborate setting for dress up.
But, really , after torturing myself with similar choices, I have settled on the realization that I like having more than one ring. And lab diamonds , or smaller earth diamonds, as well as preowned and such, brings the price down and sometimes makes that possible.

@

@vintageinjune, I actually tried to purchase the diamond you posted while I was at work today. My wifi connection was weak and my pp payment never went through! I was excited that it could ship so quickly!

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
These are under $800.

@
If you want to go a smidge bigger:

@DejaWiz, you're tempting me! :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@

@vintageinjune, I actually tried to purchase the diamond you posted while I was at work today. My wifi connection was weak and my pp payment never went through! I was excited that it could ship so quickly!

The GemsNY stone may be a bit iffy for a ring due to the 40.5 pavilion. (If any of the pavilion mains dip below 40.45, there could be some unwanted obstruction.)

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
@

I'd take that as a sign you need to go for one of the bigger diamonds. ;-)

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
The GemsNY stone may be a bit iffy for a ring due to the 40.5 pavilion. (If any of the pavilion mains dip below 40.45, there could be some unwanted obstruction.)

Thank you so much! @Kim N

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results