shape
carat
color
clarity

Please vote on solitaire for my new spessartite

Which mounting for a 9mm spessartite

• 18k yellow gold swirly solitaire (no diamonds) from Adzia (eight prongs)

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • 18k raised bezel solitaire from BGD

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
At the end of the month I will be receiving this gorgeous 9mm spessartite from Litnon. That means I need to get into fund-raising mode for the mounting.

I'm sure I want to go with 18k yellow gold and no diamonds. My two final designs are an 18k swirly solitaire from my favorite designer, Adzia. There will be 8 prongs instead of the 4 shown in the picture. The shank will be 3mm wide. Otherwise it will look like the picture.

The second is the raised full bezel solitaire from Brian Gavin Diamonds. The entire piece would be in 18k, including the bezel. Shank on this would also be 3mm. Both options are about the same price.

I'd like to hear what your choice would be, and why. Thanks.

37897.jpg

Adzia solitaire.jpg

5365Y18-5.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a profile view of the BGD bezel? As of now, my preference leans towards the prong setting, especially since it boasts 8 teeny tiny prongs. I just have a weakness for such things. :cheeky:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the BGD setting which is sort of surprizing for me because normally I like my settings to have a littl more jazz if you know what I mean. But there is something so appealing to me about your spess in that two tone setting :cheeky:

Can't wait to see what you decide on Uppy!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here's the side view of the BGD halo.

5365Y18-6.jpg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
The 8-pronger, for sure. I love that kind of look. I'm planning on getting another 8-prong RHR in the new year, so this is very inspiring for me :twirl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extremely difficult decision now that I see it's a very open profile on the bezel setting but the slight edge still goes to the 8 prong setting.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
bezel that spess....why risk damage?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezeling only protects the girdle, not the crown facets. Is BGD okay with bezeling a slightly included spessartite?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Lesley did reply that bezeling could cause damage, and they would not be responsible for any damage that may occur.

What is the Mohs for spess? Are all garnets the same?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, they aren't. I believe demantoids are the softest of the garnet family. Spessartite is about 7, I think? Bezeling is probably fine if the stone is clean but I always get nervous when there's inclusions near the girdle if considering a bezel setting. It could very well be fine but I don't like unnecessary risks on stones I love.
http://awesomegems.info/garnet.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they're both nice. The BGD setting appeals to people that like a more modern streamlined look, and the prong setting appeals to those that like more ornate and traditional jewelry. I will say that the advantage to a prong setting is that you can always reuse the setting, and/or maintain the stone (have it repolished for chips, etc. . . ). Once you bezel the spess, it's probably in there for life, and if it has a pretty faceted girdle, you won't be able to see it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1320943500|3058684 said:
No, they aren't. I believe demantoids are the softest of the garnet family. Spessartite is about 7, I think? Bezeling is probably fine if the stone is clean but I always get nervous when there's inclusions near the girdle if considering a bezel setting. It could very well be fine but I don't like unnecessary risks on stones I love.
http://awesomegems.info/garnet.html

Demantoids are around a 6.5 on the hardness scale, and are softer than spessartites, tsavorites, and other garnets.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the bezel but that's only because I like bezels setting with an open pavilion. I love looking at the pavilion of colored stones.

I think the decorative setting is pretty, and perhaps safer for setting the stone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love the setting from Hunt Country--holding a tourmaline; in their 2010 archive thumbnail. Next on my list--and I think your stone would be awesome in it--albeit it looks quite "high".

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the pavillion is open and light will perform nicely even though bezeled.

while a bezel will not protect against facet damage and only girdle damage as noted above, there is no way i wouldn't want to protect that girdle....if the inclusions are not an issue at the girdle, that is. set in prongs and with those inclusions, well, one wrong hit and bye bye spess. shattering would be possible....and while it is possible to fracture even a diamond, a spess with all that "sugar" is going to have more than its fair share of "issues".

however, prong set as a pendant and you'd be fine......

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I can't see a way to vote on your poll, but I vote BGD. I think it would be stunning in that simple bezeled setting. Don't like the other setting, eight prongs would look fussy I think.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adzia because the beauty of these spessartites is partially related to their inclusions which scatter the light. JMO. If you bezel it, the effect is gone. This is when it turns into a slightly included stone.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, you know how I love Adzia!

I think, while different from your e-ring, the BGD would also not be enough different. The Adzia would be unique and unlike anything else you own.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the Adzia best. I like a modern streamlined setting but..for this stone I really am seeing it w/the prong setting. More complementary.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it were a smaller stone, I would say Adzia.

But considering the size and the color punch, I would keep it as streamlined as possible, so bezel. I don't think the bezel would kill the glow at all.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I figured the bezel, since it is completely open at the pavilion, would actually allow more light to reach the stone than the pronged setting would.

When the stone arrives I'll get a better idea how significant the sugar is and the general impact of the stone.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
oh bezel, yummy bezel :) That's my vote =)

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I think adzia, even though I love the bezel.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love both! I think you should wait until you see the stone in person before you decide. Whichever one will be the "safest" would be my vote b/c they are both gorgeous!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here's another serious contender that has been thrown into the mix. It is the Julia bezel solitaire with milgraining on the top only.

JbEG Julia.jpg

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I love the modern look of the bezel ring - I think it will compliment the awesomeness of your gemstone.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1322079579|3067873 said:
Here's another serious contender that has been thrown into the mix. It is the Julia bezel solitaire with milgraining on the top only.

I love the Adzia one, but if going for a bezel, I'd definitely choose this one! Gorgeous!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like prong set for this one because I would like seeing the pavilion on the tilt angle to enjoy the color more when worn.

If bezel, I prefer the JBEG one.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for the Adzia setting, but actually, I don't think you're going to be able to make a mistake by choosing one of those three settings. When are we going to get to see more photos of this beauty?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I get paid at the end of the month, and I'm going to include expedited shipping! Can't wait!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results