shape
carat
color
clarity

Please urgent! here''s what he told me...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TSNARE

Rough_Rock
For those of you who have read my "argh! what does this mean?!" post:

The jeweller contacted the people who did the OGI for me this morning. He said that the word millenium on the OGI label refers to he fact that the measurements obtained by the OGI fall within a range of specifications/measurements that DeBeers classifies as "millenium."

He was careful to note, though, that this diamond is NOT one of THE DeBeers millenium diamonds, which he explained was a promotional effort DeBeers made in 2000 where they laser inscribed a select # of diamonds and provided them in special cases.

It is simply that "millenium" also has some kind of technical meaning to DeBeers, and since a DeBeers mine was the source of this diamond, when the OGI measurements revealed that the stone angles and specs fall within the "millenium" range/classification stipulated by DeBeers, the OGI report was labelled with the word "millenium."

The jeweller seems to be telling the truth, and he has been very patient with me. DOes this sound like a reasonable explanation?

I'm ready to buy today, because unfortunately I have no more time to wait! I can at least say that the stone looked great under fluorescent light bulbs and mixed fluorescent/standard overhead light bulbs.

I GREATLY appreciate any last advice. I'm grateful to everyone on this board who has been patient with me through this experience as well. You've all been a great help.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Tsnare,

"RED ALERT"

To my knowledge there is no such thing
as "millenlium" specifications for diamonds.

Yes, In the year 2000, there were 2000
diamonds cut with a laser inscription that
reads "millennium". But thats as far as it goes.

Perhaps, some one else could substantiate
these claims?

Buy Informed!

TSNARE

Rough_Rock
Hey Kirk. Thanks as always for your help.

I called up one of the appraisers at AGA (Dave Atlas' group, right?)

She was VERY friendly and patiently listened as I vented and voiced my concerns about this matter regarding the OGI and the "millenium" heading.

She admits that she's never heard of this either. However, she told me that they've seen lots of stones that have old labels/names appended to them that aren't necessarily anything to worry about. I think she said that, e.g., EGL used to use some kind of label like "millenium" on some of its older stones. She said there may be something similar going on with this GIA stone.

She said that she doesn't think I should stress about it, and that it sounds like a great stone. She says I should also take come comfort in the fact that the OGI label depth and table numbers so closely correspond to the GIA.

Granted, one may argue that the jeweller could be forging an OGI or something, but to be honest, it seems like a reputable place and it has been recommended by multiple consumers on the diamondtalk forum who live in my area.

I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the stone in the next hour and a half or so, but I will hold out for more opinions here until then.

Kirk, again, thanks so much for your support.

TSNARE

Rough_Rock
I THINK I FINALLY SOLVED THIS MYSTERY! SEE MY "HA! RESOLUTION" THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results