shape
carat
color
clarity

Please tell me this EC is a dog

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
It's a while since I have hunted down any new projects, but on a whim I came across this stone today and something about it called to me. Especially when DH said "go for it". It's not the best time for a new stone purchase, but it's not the worst. Any opinions? Is it worth a follow up call? Screenshot_20180124-212341.png

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a while since I have hunted down any new projects, but on a whim I came across this stone today and something about it called to me. Especially when DH said "go for it". It's not the best time for a new stone purchase, but it's not the worst. Any opinions? Is it worth a follow up call? Screenshot_20180124-212341.png
I like that sort of contrast pattern on ECs but we'd need to see the video to analyse how well it performs when in motion - call and put it on hold, then post the link :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that sort of contrast pattern on ECs but we'd need to see the video to analyse how well it performs when in motion - call and put it on hold, then post the link :)

Ditto. Cannot gauge an EC with still photos...

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I put it on hold. Is it worth an ASET? Any others out there worth looking at?

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not the worst performer, the central band of facets all seem to be pretty active, but the facets on the narrower ends aren't amazingly active.

I think that centre band is also a bit 'on/off' - as in when it moves round, the centre band of facets seems to operate together, meaning that it perhaps has lower scintillation at tilt angles than other stones.

Does that make any sense??

I'm no expert so please do await others with more experience to chime in!

What's your budget / desired parameters?

I've guestimated it's between about $7.5k - $10k, K upwards and VS2 upwards, and have searched JA accordingly. I like these:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.02-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3470064
Seems to have slightly less of a strong 'band' in the middle, with decent contrast patterning, plus seems to have active facets across the stone.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.03-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3710330
This one appeals because I think my personal preference is for the 'thinner lines' of the contrast pattern, although the centre band is lacking slightly in brightness/contrast when directly face-on. It does also 'window' slightly in the bottom facets of the thinner ends when at tilt angles, but not too badly.

This one seems to be very different to other cuts, though - a lot 'chunkier'! - and I'm not sure it would perform that well in real life.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-991917
That said, I know @valeria101 does find the unusual attractive... :D lol

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny If it didn't (have) cut corners, #991997 might be somewhat my style - in a sketchy kind of way ,-)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put it on hold. Is it worth an ASET?

One vote in favor.

Then,

The second one picked by @Ooo... #3710330 seems rather ekegant with its long-ish shape. There is allot of light in the video & I want to believe that the ASET will be mostly RED too.

Last edited:

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Of ooohshiny's picks, I like #2 also. It has a more elongated traditional look. Nice.

#1 also might be a contender.

No on #991917. While I can appreciate the quirky, it is likely darker than a K with the IGI cert, and would likely perform as what I would refer to as a glassy stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Digressing

No on #991917.

It is too harsh, even for me.

I did not care to think why, in terms of faceting, in the post above, then remembered that three instagrams already explain how tight index differences between pavilion steps (bittom-up the diamond is more like a pyramid than a dome) make for stark contrast, compared to a 'dome' pavilion pooling light ... A lesson in step cut pavilions, without crowns, without cut corners !

Here they are: Bottom-up, Face-up & Sideway

I am not sure if the same appear in the other shots of small, topless step cuts there.

2c

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Digressing

It is too harsh, even for me.

I did not care to think why, in terms of faceting, in the post above, then remembered that three instagrams already explain how tight index differences between pavilion steps (bittom-up the diamond is more like a pyramid than a dome) make for stark contrast, compared to a 'dome' pavilion pooling light ... A lesson in step cut pavilions, without crowns, without cut corners !

Here they are: Bottom-up, Face-up & Sideway

I am not sure if the same appear in the other shots of small, topless step cuts there.

2c
Interesting!

So you are saying that step-cut pavilion facets that look like a 'pyramid' create stronger contrast patterns (therefore scintillation?) than 'dome' shaped pavilion facets??

That is the first I have heard of it!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you are saying that step-cut pavilion facets that look like a 'pyramid' create stronger contrast patterns (therefore scintillation?) than 'dome' shaped pavilion facets?

Contrast yes.

Scintillation, no - on the contrary.

Do you have a DiamCalc license ? I am not sure if I still do ...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contrast yes.

Scintillation, no - on the contrary.

Do you have a DiamCalc license ? I am not sure if I still do ...
'Scintillation' may have been the wrong word!

(I was trying to refer to Serg's previous posts about increased brightness through increased contrast!)

No DiamCalm license here, unfortunately :( Would be great to play on it, though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results