shape
carat
color
clarity

Please tell me about the fluorescence in my diamond...

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
My ring has an uncerted centre stone (antique ring, bought as is, etc). It is an estimated in setting as a K so is likely lower, but I suspected it might have some fluorescence. I was curious so I got a little UV/Blacklight flashlight today to check out my suspicions and here are the results taken in a dark room!:

img_1747_0.jpg

img_1744_2.jpg

I assume those two stones in the cluster are very strong, but what about the centre stone? I am thinking faint or medium?

This is just for my own personal interest, I just think it's pretty cool. I am going to go home tonight and try this on my small selection of other diamonds too! :)

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I believe the center is medium and two stones in the halo are very strong. Your ring is pretry!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks RockBrat!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Any estimation given based on pictures online is, of course, a best guess. There are very smart people on this forum that may get it right, or they may miss by a bit. It might be worth the cost of an independent appraisal to satisfy your own curiosity.

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
That's very cool. I did the same thing to some older antique rings I have—and I too was shocked at the results of seeing a couple of diamonds light up like fire with fluorescence!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In addition to considerable debate over the impacts of fluorescence, there is also inconsistency in the way fluorescence is observed and evaluated. Part of that stems from the light source used to activate the fluorescence.

What you see with any particular UV light source may be quite different from what the lab graders see in their grading environment.

GIA did a study in 2013 of several commonly used UV light sources and found wide variation in output of the specific fluorescence stimulating wavelengths. Consequently, the fluorescence reaction observed will be quite different among these devices.

Having said all that, the accent stones do appear to be very strong. The center stone looks intriguing. It's not really glowing very much, but in the image it appears to have a blue hue.

Very interesting :think:

I agree with DiamondHawk, if you are interested in learning more, go see a qualified appraiser. Many times they will not charge very much if you just want a quick consultation. You may also learn other interesting things about your ring!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool pictures! and cool ring!!

Of course an in person inspection is needed for total surety- but I'd say 95% sure your center stone has no fluorescence.
The fact that two of the side diamonds are lighting up the way they are is why I feel comfortable making this assessment.
That shows us how a stone with flouro would react in this lighting setup you used.
The two stones lighting up are most likely medium or strong blue.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll play! Hmmm...PS XBox or PS Playstation?

Nope. I'm busting out my PS Wii... Just saying, clearly, we're all quarterbacking from our armchairs on this one ;-)

That said, I'm pressing Left-Shift-B!

It's the same play Rockdiamond just called on his Commodore 64... :sun: ...None and 2 Strong Blue.

How would that hold up in actual assessment? No idea. But those are groovy photos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results