shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your thoughts on settings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
I am thinking ahead to settings... We are going to have a pave setting made that is very similar to the one pictured here. The one we are getting is based on a Tiffany's setting from the 1920s (or 30s maybe, I forget). Anyway, the original pretty much looks exactly like this one, but with these really cool flat prongs -- don't know how to describe them, but I LOVE them.

For the replication, I can get pave down about half of the band, like pictured here -- or full pave -- that goes all the way around the band. The band will be about 2 mm either way...

I like the half pave because it seems more authentic and true to the original, and for some reason it looks more antique to me. I like the full pave because it means a bit more sparkle, and it just makes the ring feel more substancial.

I'm also thinking ahead to wedding bands -- I will probably want a full pave for the wedding band.

My questions are, which do you like the look of more - half or full pave? Any pros or cons either way would be appreciated. Also, do you think a half pave e-ring would look okay with a full pave wedding band?

This will be for a 2 ct cushion, square.

Thanks very much for any feedback.

RINGS copy.jpg

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
The e-ring that I am getting is a full pave band on all sides of the shank (3-sided pave - see avatar). I have tried on many kinds of pave and had all but given up on it because I didn''t find one that I really liked. I tried on mostly half pave bands because I was afraid of resizing issues blah blah blah. I think that the pave all around the ring really makes the ring more substantial and more sparkly. Many people here don''t think that there is a difference, but I have tried on both styles side by side and I prefer the whole eternity band feel.

As for matching wedding bands. If you go half-pave, stick with the half-pave band. If you go full-pave, go for the full-pave band. Mixing the two will take away from the "matching" effect.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
half pave 3/4 down tapering to a point--on a practical note your stones on the botton can be easily damaged and often fall out due to rub/wear PLUS..........and more importantly it looks more authentically antique.... less overkill. I would pair it with a full pave band...............they still match in design and style but its less "thick" and bulky. Less is more................

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
i love it cushioncut! i can't really tell in that picture, but will you be able to wear a wedding band with that?
edit: and i prefer the half pave, i don't like the full because of potential to damage, i know i would have to visit the jeweler more than i would want to.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
That is a gorgeous setting. I''d have to say that for something that gets frequent wear, I personally wouldn''t want the pave to go completely around. I would be too worried about damage. I rarely wear my eternity band for this same reason. I just feel like I have to be extra careful when I have it on.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
If the pave on a stone is done properly you can wear it everyday and not have to feel as if you were going to damage it all the time. One look at my current ring and the part that has the most wear and tear is the top part...the underbelly is still perfectly smooth and shy after 5 years. So..if you *like* the look of a full pave band, go for it, as long as it is high quality....

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a post I found on DT from a thread that I had posted about settings.....

" Just some info...my girlfriend has an amazing ring like #3...it is 3+ carat solitaire and then prong set stones all the way around the band and on the sides as well, with the micro detailing. It is amazing, BUT...she went into a top notch jeweler to have it cleaned and before she left she looked at the ring. A stone had fallen out while being cleaned. Those tiny stones are risky. She has an easy lifestyle and has nanny, maid etc. It is a bit more practical for her to wear daily. These rings are gorgeous, but make me very nervous for someone who uses their hands a lot. (like me, with three babies) "

The above just goes to show that anyone, even those of us who don't use our hands as much, can loosen the stones
32.gif
or have them accidently loosened somehow.

I think you should get whatever you want or whatever you think looks best on your fingers.
I myself would probably get the setting exactly like the picture since that is what you fell in love with.

I would make sure that each diamond is either shared prong set or 4 prong set, rather than pave, just to be on the safe side.
Lastly, about the wedding band, I don't think that it will really make a difference if you go full pave or half, but I like to match things, so I would match it with the e-ring!
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! That style is famous... Cartier's make, 1920's or so. The ring in the picture is the same one posted on Nelson's Ascher page.

There are many types of pave being made, some safter for daily wear than others. IMO, the one row of bead set (=pave with larger diamonds used) with usually millgrained margins is the safest of al - as safe as any stye I can think of. Reena's marvel is made like that.
9.gif

Lots of versions of that vintage Cartier exist. From a reasonably nice concoction sold by Takara (left) to the latest by Cartier themselves (right). One problem with this settings is keeping flattering proportions for smaller diamonds. The ring at Nelson's carries a 5 carat Asscher. Cartier says that their current design is intended for stones 3 carat and above.
I definitely think that a 2cts. cushion can work well with a setting like this - just make sure that this issue is talked about when you order your ring. Finer pave is less easy to make.

CTring.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And... I knew I saw something close done! Here it is (link)

211rc.jpg
antiquestyle_1.jpg

Any good ?

reena

Ideal_Rock
the setting you have chosen is beautiful.

on the eternity vs. not: at my setting person''s suggestion we left a small gap of platinum at the bottom of my ring (the pave stops between 5 and 7 on the clock, if you can visualize that). i wasn''t so concerned about the stones falling out--i figured if a few did here and there over the life of the ring, big deal--from what i understand they''re cheap and easy to replace. not a big deal enough deal to discourage me from going eternity style. my main concern, however, was that my ring size would change (childbirth, too many doughnuts, whatever) and i would no longer be able to wear my e-ring. since i do not really plan to upgrade my e-ring in the future (if well down the road my tastes change or i want more bling or something, then perhaps i''d get a new ring, but i''d always want to hold on to this one), that was a big concern for me.

but, depending on your circumstances, that may not be an issue for you. in which case i''d say GO for it! although i''m happy with my decision as a matter of logic, i DO think that as a matter of aesthetics i would prefer if the ring were eternity style. (although i do agree that it might look more authentically antique if it were half.)

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input. I am looking forward to hearing more!

Ana -- I love that Cartier stone! Big chunky facets! The original ring I posted is from Nelson... It was the most similar thing I could find online. The one I am looking at is super delicate in person. It looks more like this p-scopers ring from the profile, although the shoulders are a bit different, and it wouldn''t be 3-sided pave. I think this setting will work out okay for a 2 ct stone... I''ve just been torn between keeping the more "authentic" half pave, or going all the way with it...

Reena, I agree about the resizing, that is another reason I like the idea of 1/2 pave.

Thanks again everyone!

P.I.C......jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Wow, is that beautiful. WOW!!!!! NO matter how much pave you do on the band, it is going to be an absolutely stunning ring. Kudos!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results