shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Share Your Lab Grown Emerald Cut Diamond Thoughts.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love emerald cut diamonds. In fact, it was always one o my favorite diamond cuts for as long as I can remember. Elegant, sophisticated and oh so grown up IMO.

Now that Lab Grown diamonds are available I was wondering if anyone here has a lab grown emerald cut diamond, or has seen in person a lab grown emerald cut diamond? Who is it from and what do you think about it? I am very interested in hearing about the options available and learning your thoughts.

Thanks.

Sharing an emerald cut diamond I saw and tried on in person. Swoon.

20.75EMERALDCUTDIAMOND.JPG

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Post #27 has some photos from the vendor prior to shipping to Jilliri0218:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Speaking as a fellow Emerald Cut lover….
I’ve been delighted to see so many beautifully cut Lab Grown Emerald cuts.
The lower cost of rough allows cutters to cut for beauty as opposed to weight. So you’ll find stones right below carat benchmarks ( ie 2.90cts) that surely would have more meat left on the stone ( cutting to 3.00cts) in an Earth Mined Diamond.
In terms of color, imperfections and transparency: one does need to carefully vet candidates. For example- some LG stones graded H color look great… yet others have a grey cast to them.
But we could also make the same statements about EM diamonds ( need to be vetted)
Personally, I love being able to offer much larger stones at much more affordable prices.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think most of us have had very positive experiences with our lab stones. I don't have an EC but got a beautiful lab Asscher last year. Earth mined Asschers are not cheap and as @Rockdiamond touched on, it's hard to find a well cut step-cut. That and cost are two reasons why I chose to search in the lab pool and I have no regrets. I did look at ECs for a while, and Rhino has some very nice ones.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @vintageinjune, I appreciate the links.

Personally, I love being able to offer much larger stones at much more affordable prices.

Thanks @Rockdiamond, it's opening up a whole new avenue for those of us who love step cuts but can't afford to get the size we want in them. I have not yet seen a lab grown diamond and hope to get to explore this option further in person at some point in the (near) future.

I think most of us have had very positive experiences with our lab stones. I don't have an EC but got a beautiful lab Asscher last year. Earth mined Asschers are not cheap and as @Rockdiamond touched on, it's hard to find a well cut step-cut. That and cost are two reasons why I chose to search in the lab pool and I have no regrets. I did look at ECs for a while, and Rhino has some very nice ones.

I have to find your thread (if you started one ). I am glad you are enjoying your beautiful Asscher diamond.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have to find your thread (if you started one ). I am glad you are enjoying your beautiful Asscher diamond.

Please let me know if you can't find it. I vowed not to go below a K (it's an L) but I couldn't pass up the cut and perfect 1:1 ratio. The warmth is just a hint of gold but best of the all, the steps and windmills are very clear. I hope you find the perfect EC. They are amazing too and would definitely consider a lab EC.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please let me know if you can't find it. I vowed not to go below a K (it's an L) but I couldn't pass up the cut and perfect 1:1 ratio. The warmth is just a hint of gold but best of the all, the steps and windmills are very clear. I hope you find the perfect EC. They are amazing too and would definitely consider a lab EC.

I found it and it is beautiful! Wear in good health and blingy joy!
I think I need to start saving for an EC. In the size I want it (8 carats LOL) is still a lot of money. Darn my huge hands. :cry2:

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think I need to start saving for an EC. In the size I want it (8 carats LOL) is still a lot of money. Darn my huge hands. :cry2:

Thank you! Ooohhh... 8 carats.... That will be something. Good thing you can get impressive length on ECs and clever settings can provide some great coverage too. I hope your journey to your dream stone isn't a long one!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m with you @missy - step cuts are impossibly elegant!

Following with interest! I also want a lab cut asscher or emerald cut one day, I prefer antique styles. I’ve seen some stunners from Distinctive Gem on their site, wonder if he could do a custom cut..

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
CF18B6AD-2A8B-4690-89E6-C72933CEF7F9.jpeg 19C37207-818E-402A-8836-BEB0AB085C55.jpeg

Not the most amazing photos, but I have a 1.7ct lab emerald ring I love, e-w style solitaire. I swap it out with my natural diamond engagement ring or wear it as a RHR sometimes. Love having lab as an option to try out a step cut!!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Huge hands?! You’re so petite!! What is your finger size?

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
I purchased one this year and love it. No regrets. The emerald from Parks Fine Group and set by VC. Not the best photos, just a quick iPhone shot at work when I first got it. I have an earth mined emerald that I need to get around to selling. It was beautiful in its own way but this setting was on my top 5 list of settings I love and the old stone would not have worked with it.

Attachments

• A3D9551A-6BEA-4623-817E-571F2AFC793F.jpeg
    A3D9551A-6BEA-4623-817E-571F2AFC793F.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 84
  • 961E9798-1D19-4E47-B7A4-DF8BA85A60D4.jpeg
    961E9798-1D19-4E47-B7A4-DF8BA85A60D4.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 115

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge hands?! You’re so petite!! What is your finger size?

My ring finger fluctuates quite a bit (because of Raynauds and osteoarthritis) but my ring finger is about a 6/6.25. Take my word for it though my hands are big. And I am not petite per se at 5' 5.5" though I know as one gets older one does shrink in height. ;( The fingers/hands don't though...:cry2:

CF18B6AD-2A8B-4690-89E6-C72933CEF7F9.jpeg 19C37207-818E-402A-8836-BEB0AB085C55.jpeg

Not the most amazing photos, but I have a 1.7ct lab emerald ring I love, e-w style solitaire. I swap it out with my natural diamond engagement ring or wear it as a RHR sometimes. Love having lab as an option to try out a step cut!!!

That ring is so beautiful on you @FL_runner :love:

I purchased one this year and love it. No regrets. The emerald from Parks Fine Group and set by VC. Not the best photos, just a quick iPhone shot at work when I first got it. I have an earth mined emerald that I need to get around to selling. It was beautiful in its own way but this setting was on my top 5 list of settings I love and the old stone would not have worked with it.

Gorgeous. Love the setting too. :love:

I’m with you @missy - step cuts are impossibly elegant!

Following with interest! I also want a lab cut asscher or emerald cut one day, I prefer antique styles. I’ve seen some stunners from Distinctive Gem on their site, wonder if he could do a custom cut..

Yes he can do custom cut and I am with you re antique styles however I am still learning about emerald cuts so don't know that much yet about the difference in appearance regarding modern vs antique emerald cuts. I have seen antique step cuts in person (not emerald cuts though) and definitely my preference. But I have to evaluate the difference in emerald cuts as that is not my area of knowledge. Yet.

Thank you! Ooohhh... 8 carats.... That will be something. Good thing you can get impressive length on ECs and clever settings can provide some great coverage too. I hope your journey to your dream stone isn't a long one!

Thanks @monipod, unfortunately for what I want it will be a long journey I believe. Though you never know. Luckily I am very patient (sometimes haha) and will enjoy the search and of course appreciate you sharing the journey with me.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@missy I meant petite more like slender rather than short :) Anyway I think you have lovely hands!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love emerald cut diamonds. In fact, it was always one o my favorite diamond cuts for as long as I can remember. Elegant, sophisticated and oh so grown up IMO.

Now that Lab Grown diamonds are available I was wondering if anyone here has a lab grown emerald cut diamond, or has seen in person a lab grown emerald cut diamond? Who is it from and what do you think about it? I am very interested in hearing about the options available and learning your thoughts.

Thanks.

Sharing an emerald cut diamond I saw and tried on in person. Swoon.

20.75EMERALDCUTDIAMOND.JPG

10909573.jpg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
My emerald is a lab diamond. I honestly probably would not do it again. I wish I would have skipped it or waited. I went with a lab grown simply because I was not ready to spend that type of money on an emerald cut in a mined stone.

I think that the prices are still fluctuating so much and I paid more for my stone than I would have paid currently.

I think lab grown is absolutely fine, but I think It's anybody's guess to what it does in the future as far as value and ability to resell if you ever want to part with it.
with it

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My emerald is a lab diamond. I honestly probably would not do it again. I wish I would have skipped it or waited. I went with a lab grown simply because I was not ready to spend that type of money on an emerald cut in a mined stone.

I think that the prices are still fluctuating so much and I paid more for my stone than I would have paid currently.

I think lab grown is absolutely fine, but I think It's anybody's guess to what it does in the future as far as value and ability to resell if you ever want to part with it.
with it

Thanks Eliza. I agree we don’t know where the prices are going. That’s my main hesitation (besides the cost of an 8 carat lol). I never plan on reselling so that isn’t a major concern of mine. Rather I would hate paying a premium now only to see prices of the lab diamonds fall significantly in a year or two.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Eliza. I agree we don’t know where the prices are going. That’s my main hesitation (besides the cost of an 8 carat lol). I never plan on reselling so that isn’t a major concern of mine. Rather I would hate paying a premium now only to see prices of the lab diamonds fall significantly in a year or two.

My gut instinct is the prices are still going to drop. I know a lot of people disagree with that but I think they will.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My gut instinct is the prices are still going to drop. I know a lot of people disagree with that but I think they will.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me. I also feel that’s probably what’s going to happen. Gives me more time to save in any case. Plus, if it does for whatever reason increase in price I just won’t get it then. It’s not critical. I hope no one gets upset with me for saying this lol. For me, it’s just a want. Not a need.

Having said that I would so love a beautiful big emerald cut diamond. Maybe one day…

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

with it

I struggled with this as well. My husband suggested to think of it as a piece I would keep and enjoy. So, after totally forgetting about resale, I took the leap and placed an order. I'll see how it all works out in a few weeks.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Eliza. I agree we don’t know where the prices are going. That’s my main hesitation (besides the cost of an 8 carat lol
Darn!!! 8cts????? Now that’s a spicy meatball!!!!lol
Seriously- this does bring up an interesting aspect to me.
As of now, it’s not that easy to find 6ct+ sizes. Why? I’m not sure enough to answer factually.
Bit I also share a skepticism of the prices of the really large LG’s.
I feel far more comfortable 3cts and down in terms of prices and long term stability.
Remember , just like Earth Mined diamonds, cutting really matters. The way the color works matters. Who you buy it from matters - especially if one wants great service and specialized settings.
There’s always going to be a “race to the bottom” to see who can shave services and quality to sell as cheap as possible…. And a segment of buyers looking for better stones and services. IMO that will sustain prices of lab growns 3ct and under.

TinsieCat

Rough_Rock
I looked all over for a 2.8-2.99 carat EC. Ended up going to lab, and don’t regret it one bit. I went with a jeweler that is probably the most expensive for lab, but still saved OVER 50% on the stone compared to mined. Even if this is worthless tomorrow, I still end up making more money by investing the other 50%. The lab price difference is enough now that I feel it’s a financially sound decision to choose that option. (Of course diamonds are never a good investment. I’m talking about if you HAVe to get a diamond and I HAVE to ;-) .)

I could have saved more if I went with other jewelers, but I needed a concierge to help me source the right stone. If I were looking for a more common shape like rounds or ovals, I probably would have went with Tianyu. That’s riskier though and more of a gamble on cut.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Just added a preloved square-ish emerald cut that I saw on Jon's website.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results