shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE share setting suggestions!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I have decided that I need to get my yellow diamond set - and relatively quickly. It is currently living with my parents in the States. I was originally planning on viewing it loose, then deciding whether to keep or return. However...this plan sets me up for huge inconveniences later, in terms of lack of local talent for setting, or international shipping/insurance/taxes for overseas setting. So the plan is to now have it set before June.

This is my sunny girl:

yellowcushion.jpg

Now, she has medium blue fluoro, so I want to make sure there is a decent amount of yellow gold surrounding her to play up the yellow when in natural light. I was even considering bezel setting her. I'd also like some sort of side stones or melee to emphasize the color difference and provide a bit more finger coverage.

No halo.

No highly intricate work (pierced or otherwise 'busy' settings).

I love more simple antique settings, things you see on Mels Antique Jewelry Too (and can't afford :lol: ).

Has anyone seen any settings that would look nice with a stone like this?

I am really getting stuck when thinking of what direction to go with this project and I don't have months to kick around various ideas. :sick:

kt

Shiny_Rock
Oh that is so lovely! How about a James Meyer-esque style? I love his stuff, it's classic, slightly vintagey and very simple!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Great suggestion, I've always really admired his work as well. It's a shame I can't actually have HIM do the setting, but such is life. I think the stone might suit it well, being a more square shape rather than elongated.

I also came across this setting earlier and thought it was interesting (not sure how it would look with a less elongated stone though).

ring2_19.jpg

And the other general shape I'm really liking is the antique solitaire/leaves combo (thanks for the picture, JbEG!)

JBEG-petal-shank.png

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I love the two-tone double bezel idea, with just a bit of milgrain or granulation, similar to the first setting you posted. Your stone is gorgeous, by the way!

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
justginger|1330779101|3139868 said:
I have decided that I need to get my yellow diamond set - and relatively quickly. It is currently living with my parents in the States. I was originally planning on viewing it loose, then deciding whether to keep or return. However...this plan sets me up for huge inconveniences later, in terms of lack of local talent for setting, or international shipping/insurance/taxes for overseas setting. So the plan is to now have it set before June.

This is my sunny girl:

yellowcushion.jpg

Now, she has medium blue fluoro, so I want to make sure there is a decent amount of yellow gold surrounding her to play up the yellow when in natural light. I was even considering bezel setting her. I'd also like some sort of side stones or melee to emphasize the color difference and provide a bit more finger coverage.

No halo.

No highly intricate work (pierced or otherwise 'busy' settings).

I love more simple antique settings, things you see on Mels Antique Jewelry Too (and can't afford :lol: ).

Has anyone seen any settings that would look nice with a stone like this?

I am really getting stuck when thinking of what direction to go with this project and I don't have months to kick around various ideas. :sick:

Oh, this is a Leibisch pic! Beautiful color, congratulations. I spoke with Aviva regarding my own search for a FIY and she mentioned that, whenever they do the setting themselves, they set the stones in a YG cup to enhance the color.

I tried on the very simple Tiffany YG bezel setting, and loved it, though usually I like more finger coverage (most of their stones are around 1 ct.) Small but gorgeously understated, if there's such a thing.

tiffany bezel.jpg

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
You could try this type of setting in YG as well. Personally I would go for colorless or other yellow sidestones, with any kind of color would work depending on your taste.

chaumet pierre couleur.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results