shape
carat
color
clarity

Please recommend your SF Hairdresser

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so I know there was an old thread on this but all the information seemed to be either outdated or outside of San Francisco.

I''m EXTREMELY fussy about my hair (if its cut properly it shouldn''t need to be styled at all), and I would love peoples'' recommendations for your hairdresser in San Francisco. I''d like to keep it under $100 for a cut, but I''m flexible about that if the person is totally amazing. My hair isn''t especially difficult, but I do really want someone who will listen to what I want, who is willing to make suggestions about what will look good with my face shape, etc...and its a plus if they are friendly/like to talk (the silent ones make me a little nervous, but again, if they are truly amazing I''d overlook it, but I get very nervous getting my hair cut and I find it soothing when someone is nice).

Anyway, please share your recommendations - who you use and why you use them, and if you don''t mind sharing what kind of hair you have and what you ask/look for in a hairdresser.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You NEED to go to Letitia at Level Four Salon on Sutter, just off Union Square. Joo works there too and is also very, VERY good. Check out Citysearch for all the glowing reviews about them. I was with my former stylist for 8 years (at 77 Maiden Lane) before I finally decided I needed a change....I thought highly of her and wasn''t going to settle for just anyone. After dabbling with 4-5 different stylists, I found that Letitia and Joo really stood out. They are very experienced, young without being too young (mid-30s), and in touch with the latest looks as well as with what suits your face, personality, and lifestyle. They REALLY listen and don''t "improvise."

I believe their cuts are around $70. Good luck! (btw, you must come to a SF Bay Area PS GTG sometime!!!)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
KD - is it you who used to use someone named Tiffany at a place called Bamboo Salon. I found a recommendation for her on Yelp as well, and I actually called her. She called me back but it was hard to hear her - she was calling on her cell phone. I don''t know why, but that made me kind of nervous that I couldn''t hear her super well. On the other hand, I''ve never had a good experience at a bigger salon. I tried one in Boston that came incredibly highly recommended from every source I could find, and I tried several different stylists and was displeased with all of them. Same thing at a highly recommended place in Providence, RI. So I''m actually nervous about either option. If you have indeed been to both, can you tell me more about one vs. the other?

Thanks so much for the recommendation and sorry to be so paranoid - I''m just so nervous about my hair
3.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi AG! Tiffany was my ex-stylist, who had been at 77 Maiden Lane for years and years. She recently started her own salon along with a partner (Bamboo) and her business line is her cell. (you contact each stylist directly for appts there) She''s VERY chatty, kinda hyper, and really listens to what you want to do with your haircut. By far, her strength is the precision of her cuts. She can build a lot of body into her cuts, which comes in handy with fine hair like mine. Her only downside (and the reason why I left her) is that although her cuts are awesome, she has a limited repertoire when it comes to styling. She leans heavily towards "sculpted" looks, i.e. hair that doesn''t move in the wind. She''s great at doing 60''s style buoffants complete with backcombing and TONS of hairspray. Not so good at the natural looks.

Both Joo and Letitia, on the other hand, were extremely creative with their styling techniques. Letitia did this really cool pin-curl technique that left soft, big waves in my hair. So pretty!! Both of them are really into the soft and swingy look, and I''ve never had a problem with them lacquering my hair up too much. Their salon, Level Four, is definitely NOT a big salon. I''d describe it as smallish- medium and very friendly.

HTH!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
KD - thanks so much for the clarification. Level Four and the two stylists there sound much more my style. I think I will give them a shot. My mom and I have a date to hit the sales around Union Square on Thursday so I''ll see if I can get an appointment then.

Thanks so much for the recommendation - it does sound pretty cool from the reviews on Citysearch.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results