shape
carat
color
clarity

Please recommend settings for a 0.555! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alstroemeria

Rough_Rock
Hi,

We''ve got the diamond, and now we need some help for the setting. Basically we need something simple that would really complement/accentuate the beautiful stone we have. The specs for the stone...

0.555 F IF
5.35 - 5.37 (diameter)
3.22 (depth)
Crown 34
Pavillion 40.9
Table 56%

Ring size 6

So we have combination of a small stone and big finger.

With all the factors in mind, any recommendations?

Pictures / sketches / comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

alstroemeria

Rough_Rock
I would like to add that we''re also thinking of heart prongs. Would that be practical for a stone that small? And would it cover too much of the stone?

Another question is whether the platinum prong is hardier than white gold? Several threads I''ve been reading seemed to give conflicting comments. We need something secure for fear of losing the stone.

Another dilemma is whether to go for 6 prong (more secure) or 4 prong (more of diamond showing).

I''ve been researching for the past few months and the more I read, the more confused I am on which setting to choose.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, have you looked into the "Show me the ring section" under the Eye Candy folder??? There are almost 30 pages of rings in there for you to go through.
3.gif
You could also go onto any of the e-vendors site and look at their settings for inspiration.

For you, if you dont intend on changing the setting, then go ahead with platinum. You may also want to consider a setting with side stones or melee so that it will cover the span of your finger and thus not look so "small" on your finger. You might not be able to find someone who is able to make the heart prongs for you....

My personal preference is for 4 prongs and WG because I like to change my setting.

alstroemeria

Rough_Rock
Hi Tomatoe,

I have looked through those pages prior to posting. Once again, good work and keep it up!
36.gif

It''s great to see information like stone size, finger size, hand pictures, gallery pictures, etc as they gave me a feel of how the ring would be like in real life. Unfortunately, most of the rings are really huge. Okie, not the rings, but the stones!
3.gif
And somehow I feel that certain designs are meant for bigger rocks. And daintier fingers.

I doubt I''ll be changing the setting at all. So it''s probably platinum.

So far, I''ve been given a quote for the heart prongs by a local jeweller - US$290 (WG) and US$590 (PL). Only fear is that the stone would be overwhelmed by the prongs.

Thanks for your suggestions... will keep that in mind when I "shop" around.

Meanwhile, keep the pictures coming!

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Any type of prongs can overwhelm a stone if not done properly, you have to emphasize to the jeweler that you want the prongs to be as small as possible without sacrificing the integrity of the prongs. The prices you''ve been quoted are quite steep, but if they''re good then go for it!!!

alstroemeria

Rough_Rock

Hi tomatoe,

Thanks for the advice. I''ve seen prongs that are really tiny (smaller than those on the pictures), but I really wonder if they are sufficiently "hardy".

Agreed that the price is a bit steep, specially for platinum. That''s the place where I got the stone, but now I''m having second thoughts asking them to set it.

Just trying out the uploading of photos.

One of my mum''s rings.

Specs
0.45 G VVS2 H&A
Size 6

Alstroe1.jpg

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure you''ve seen the miniscule claw prongs done by Leon Mege and some others who go the custom-route. I reckon that you shouldn''t worry too much about the strength of the prongs, but remember that you should bring them in to a trusted store at least once a year for cleaning and a check on the prongs. Also take note to get the strongest mix of platinum available here.
face23.gif

alstroemeria

Rough_Rock
Oops... the picture''s too large for comfort. Is there any way to remove it?

Let me try again...

Alstroe.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
34.gif
Small prongs.... are sturdy enough when they are short. It is not safe to have tiny prongs floating 1 cm high above the hand. But the prongs needed for, say, a basket seting can be realy tiny. All these guys need to do is "clamp" the stone to the basket as opposed to hold it floating in the air. The tip of such prongs would look like a bead of metal under 1mm in diameter.

Also, the more prongs there are, the smaller each of them should be. So 6 prongs should show more diamond than four prongs.
The logic does not hold with those "tiffany style" peg head stamplings - but it surely does with hand made settings. You may see antique jewelry with stones set with 10 or 12 prongs, each smaller than you can pick up from an arm''s length.
5.gif

I would definitely mention this 0.2 to the jeweler in charge with your ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results