carat
color
clarity

Please recommend a cutter

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello,
I am looking for a cutter that will facet mixed cut in North America. My favorite shape is cushion.
036C8528-77B4-4D7F-8C7B-DC619DD8D859.jpeg F1BE2293-F938-4656-8DC0-30EC0A204470.jpeg

I always want one for my stones to be cut in this style. But the American cutters I have talked to prefer the brilliant cut on the pavilion. I understand that some of my roughs may not be able to be cut in these styles. Thank you in advance.

voce

Ideal_Rock
It would help to know which cutters you've consulted already.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jerry Newman is my usual go-to. He's generally easy to talk to regarding what I want vs what is best.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Gary at Finewater?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Jerry Newman recut my red spinel when another cutter, Dan Stair seemed to dissuade me. I think Jerry has more experience and more confidence working with imperfect material. I should write an email one of these days to thank him.

I have a high opinion of Dan Stair as well since I bought stones he cut and am very happy with the quality of his cutting.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,
I am looking for a cutter that will facet mixed cut in North America. My favorite shape is cushion.
036C8528-77B4-4D7F-8C7B-DC619DD8D859.jpeg F1BE2293-F938-4656-8DC0-30EC0A204470.jpeg

I always want one for my stones to be cut in this style. But the American cutters I have talked to prefer the brilliant cut on the pavilion. I understand that some of my roughs may not be able to be cut in these styles. Thank you in advance.

Is getting rough cut that you own more of a hurdle than finding a cutter to cut in the style you want?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he cut outside stones?

There’s also Dan Stair.

I don’t know but I thought it was worth an ask.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jerry Newman is my usual go-to. He's generally easy to talk to regarding what I want vs what is best.

Maybe Gary at Finewater?

Does he cut outside stones?

There’s also Dan Stair.

Jerry Newman recut my red spinel when another cutter, Dan Stair seemed to dissuade me. I think Jerry has more experience and more confidence working with imperfect material. I should write an email one of these days to thank him.

I have a high opinion of Dan Stair as well since I bought stones he cut and am very happy with the quality of his cutting.

Is getting rough cut that you own more of a hurdle than finding a cutter to cut in the style you want?

Thanks everyone. I have talked to Dan Stair and Jerry Newman. I think both of them can do the mixed cut. Dan is more careful about customers' stone. He worried that I will not be happy because the roughs I have is not perfect and I have not worked with him before. I have worked with Jerry. He does excellent jobs. He prefers the brilliant pavilion from my understanding. I understand that the rough may not fit the mixed cut I want because the step pavilion requires more depth. I have also observed other cutters. It seems like their cutting style is more modern than the antique style I want. I want to have a stone with ideal colour and cut. But the ideal colour rough is very hard to find. So I compromise on the colour and focus on the cut.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I would also try Alternatives Lapidary on Etsy, with whom I've had a positive experience with. He mostly cuts synthetics but does a variety of patterns, and you can ask if he'd do the cut that you want.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would also try Alternatives Lapidary on Etsy, with whom I've had a positive experience with. He mostly cuts synthetics but does a variety of patterns, and you can ask if he'd do the cut that you want.
Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results