shape
carat
color
clarity

Please provide input on this Ideal Cut RB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody,

I am looking at an ideal cut 1.15 F VS2 RB. It has a GIA cert and Megascope report:

6.70 x 6.75 x 4.15
Depth: 61.8%
Table: 57.2% (56.9 - 57.4)
Girdle: Med, faceted (GIA)
1.9% Sl. Thick (Megascope)
Culet: 0.3% V.Small
Polish: Ex
Symmetry: VG
Fluor: None

Crown Angle: 34.8 (34.7 - 35.0)
Crown Height: 14.5% (14.1 - 14.8)
Pavil Angle: 41.2 (41.0 - 41.4)
Pavil Depth: 43.8% (43.4 - 44.2)

Main inclusions are:
Cloud & crystal under the table
Indented natural on pavilion side

It is very brilliant in person (looked at it under
several lighting conditions) but only scores a 3.5 on
HCA and has several "holes" when viewed through the ideal
scope (along edges and under the table). From the ideal scope examples it looks like a "poor."

From the listed stats, can someone explain why this "ideal
cut" scores a 3.5 on HCA and exhibits leakage through the ideal scope? It seems to fall solidly in the ideal range.

Also, is the indented natural something to worry about?

Thanks for your input!
2.gif

RoughRider

p.s. I''ve been absent for a while because they added an internet filter at work! I can view posts but am hesitant to log on to the board because it prompts a warning message.
nono.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your indented natural would really have to be seen to comment but in a VS2 it can't be that bad. Your 41.2 pavilon angle with a 34.8 is the bad combo there and will more than likely give you the dreaded "ring of death" under the table of the diamond meaning alot of leakage where there could otherwise be light return contributing to a more brilliant stone. See if you can find a stone that either trims that pavilion angle up under 40.9 or if you're going to have 41.2 pavilion angles, a crown of 33.6-33.9 would work better with that pavilion.

My .02c

Rhino

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to Rhino.
Also, the pavilion measurements show that they partly fall out of AGS0 proportions. Not a good sign in my opinion.

The indented natural should be nothing to worry about, unless it's eye-visible, but being the stone a GIA VS 2, I doubt it will be overly large and visible, especially if it's on pavilion and does not extend to the crown.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results