shape
carat
color
clarity

Please price this

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Troppo_zone

Rough_Rock
Hi,

i'm an extreme novice with diamonds so please be gentle.

I've found the following diamond for $3,692USD at a B&M. Is it any good and is it worth the price? It comes with a certificate from IGI (International Gemologists Institute). The following is all the info that was available.

E
VVS1
measurements = 5.8 x 5.85 x 3.44
Fluorescence = none
Polish/Symetry = Good
Proportion = very Good
Table dia = 64%
Pavilion Depth = 43
Girdle = Very thin
Culet = Pointed

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Troppo!!
wavey.gif
Welcome to the Forum.

I would be concerned by a very thin girdle for mounting in an e-ring. Earrings or pendant, maybe OK. E-rings get banged and knocked where other pieces of jewelry don't.

The proportions you posted seem rather odd. Another .7 carat weight I found in the Price Scope listings with a 63% table has measurements of 5.54x5.58-3.47mm. You might want to check the specs on the diamond again.

I would also suggest you visit some different B&M's. Check in the yellow pages, call around, and find Diamond Brokers in your area. Visit a few and look at lots of diamonds. Diamonds that are well cut, side by side with diamonds that are not so well cut. Unless you just absolutely want to have E, VVS, you can trade on color and clarity to get a much better Cut. The quality of make is VERY important. Well Cut diamonds appear visually whiter and briter than their actual color grade. VVS clarity comes at a HUGE premium. You can easily go VS2 or SI1 and still have an eye clean diamond for much less money.
1.gif

Troppo_zone

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info pqcollectibles,

I want to buy over the net but everyone is saying that the cost really should be how it looks. How do i know what i'm gonna get. I know that i should be looking for the cut in the 54% to 63% total depth range with a medium girdle and a 58 to 62% table.

CAn you recommend any sites to me (i'm in Australia)

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
For an Ideal cut Round Brilliant, you want to look for:

53-58% Table, and
58.7-62.3% Total Depth.

Garry Holloway (CutNut) is Australia. MDX is also in Australia. You can contact both of them by doing a Member Search and submitting a Private Message/Email. Most of the Vendors on Price Scope ship internationally as well. You won't have any problems finding a quality stone that is reasonably priced!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results