shape
carat
color
clarity

Please look at these specs and comment

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ready

Rough_Rock
This is the stone I viewed today. Looked very nice. Could I get comments on the specs and the asking price of $7000? I think I'm beating this thing to death. I have an analytical mind and this search is going to drive me crazy!

Weight 1.31 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color G
Clarity VS1
Measurements 7.11 - 7.09 x 4.36 mm
Depth 61.4
Table 55.0
Crown 15.5
Pavilion 43.2
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Comments IDEAL CUT
UGS Appraisal Value

ready

Rough_Rock
Just plugged these into the HCA and it yielded a 1.1. Excellent on everything but spread, which was very good. Not sure what this means, however, other than it seems favorable. Comments?

ready

Rough_Rock
I should add that this is the stone that I viewed upside down with an H&A scope and could very readily see the defined hearts. I did not look face up at the arrows, however.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a great deal! If it did well on HCA and the specs look okay and you liked what you saw...for $7k I'd say its a great deal! We paid a similar amount for a 1.27 G VS1 with a non-ideal shape...because in that price range we were having to look at SI1 and I liked the VS category much better. Where is your broker/where did you see the stone..I want to go there too! :)

What sort of lab certification report does it come with? GIA, AGS, etc?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a great deal! If it did well on HCA and the specs look okay and you liked what you saw...for $7k I'd say its a great deal! We paid a similar amount for a 1.27 G VS1 with a non-ideal shape...because in that price range we were having to look at SI1 and I liked the VS category much better. Where is your broker/where did you see the stone..I want to go there too! :)

What sort of lab certification report does it come with? GIA, AGS, etc?

ready

Rough_Rock
Mars, thanks for your comments. It is a small diamond broker in Dallas. The cert is an EGL, which is the only thing that might be a detraction. However, it is EGL Los Angeles, which I understand is one of the better EGL labs. I believe the VS1 part, because under 10X I could not see any flaws. I also placed it next to an EGL "H" color stone (I know that EGL may be off a grade) and it did indeed appear whiter...especially when viewed from the bottom on white paper. I am a novice, though!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like a great price, I am very jealous ;-) If you are on the hedge, see if you can have the diamond taken to an independent appraiser before purchase, sale contingent on the appraiser results matching up to what the broker is telling you. We are taking ours to an appraiser this weekend, but we already bought it (though we have the option of an exchange if it is not satisfactory).

I believe I have seen on here that EGL LA is more of a strict grader than an int'l EGL lab, so you are probably okay!

ready

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara (sorry I typed Mars in previous note, slip of the finger). The $7K was his asking price, too, so I'm wondering if he'll move off of it a bit. Oh - I should mention - for the setting I'm interested in (simple thin platinum 6-prong), he is asking about $500. This seems high, so maybe he's making up some margin there. Depending on the number of good vs. bad reactions I get from this site, I may offer the $7K and make it contingent on him throwing in the setting/mounting. What do you think?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The $500 seems reasonable for a platinum basic 6 prong setting, esp if the diamond is a deal at $7000. You could try to offer him $7k for the package and see if he goes for it, the worst he could say is no, right? What is the sales tax in Texas..you might have to factor this in. Our price had tax included, and here in CA that is a hefty chunk of change as our tax is 8%.

One thing a girlfriend who used to work at a jeweler said to me (I don't know if this is true or not..but figured I'd mention it here), is not to get a solitaire set in 6 prong as it hides more of the diamond than a 4 prong. However, I know alot of people like the 6 prong look. Anyway, maybe one of the experts can tell us if the 6 prong really does hide more of the stone than a 4..then you can make a more informed decision! :)

ready

Rough_Rock
You know, I like the 4 prong better myself. However, my girlfriend has mentioned 6 prong. I wish that she would favor 4 prong because I agree with you. I'm not going to be wearing it I guess :).

Sales tax in Dallas is an exhorbitant 8.25%. I guess that's the price for not having any state income tax in TX. The price of $7K I mentioned does NOT include that. Yikes.

ready

Rough_Rock
Any other comments about this stone? Thanks!!!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a great stone, Ready. Lots of fire, lots of light return. Should be a real screamer.

I've had good experiences with the EGL-LA lab. It wouldn't hurt though to have the stone confirmed by an independent appraiser, with the option to return. It's a reasonable request, and most jewelers will go along with it.

Otherwise, it looks like all lights are green.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Rich,

Burnin the oil heh? I'd have to ditto Rich's comments. ANYTHING from an EGL lab I would have 2nd checked and ALWAYS make sure you have the option to return as well.

Rhino

ready

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I really like the stone (although I wish it was 10 points bigger). However, I don't think there's a real noticeable size difference. The other choice is a 1.37 H VS2 w/an HCA of 3.1. I liked the H until I saw the one at the top of this discussion.

ready

Rough_Rock
Leonid, could you run this stone through the Diamond Calc for me? I would REALLY appreciate it! This site has been great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results