shape
carat
color
clarity

Please let me know what you think of this Diamond

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

Can you help me see if this ring is worth the price?

Price: $5600
Carat: 0.8
Cut: Ideal (Excellent on the GIA)
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint
Depth: 62.2%
Table: 56 %
Crown: 35%
HCA: 1.6

Dimensions: 5.93 * 5.98 * 3.70mm

download_0.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I don't know how to edit the original post..
but the Pavilion is 40.8

banana_tau|1312570849|2984956 said:
Hi Guys,

Pavilion: 40.8%

download_0.jpg

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
Definitely can drop to VS. I was hoping to find something in the VS ranges and can use the money difference to get a slightly bigger rock, but I haven't been able to find it.

Can I also get some suggestions on the vendor? I see ppl here going with whiteflash, JamesAllen and BlueNile. Are these the biggest and best ones? How good is GoG or BG?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I was just about to ask what your preferences are because, while the stone is priced well, you may be able to select larger stones with your budget (if that is of interest). I'd say you can drop to VS and even color (to G) without really noticing. All of the vendors you mentioned have good reputations. You may want to select a setting as that may dictate who you'd prefer to get the stone from (it may be easier to have one vendor do everything). Any setting preferences?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
On clarity SI1 and SI2 may be eyeclean but VS should be. With regard to color, it's really individual. You may not see a difference and your SO might. Do you know your (your SO's) preferences or color sensitivity? I think a G is still pretty white, but my diamonds are H/I/J so I clearly am not too color sensitive.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I personally own a .92 E SI1 eyeclean diamond from top sides no inclusion to be found. The only clarity characteristic was a crystal and I can't find it anywhere, my appraiser had a hard time finding it with a loop so I would not say they will never be eyeclean. In that token if it were me I would call WF on this one and see if it is eyeclean. It has less things going on the clarity plot than a lot of vs diamonds.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2645107.htm

And if it was me with the money I saved I would buy a 5 stone band to accent the solitaire setting you have picked out.

http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/five-stone-shared-prong-diamond-wedding-band-813.htm\

Here is my diamond

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1351711.asp

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
Thanks both for your answers.

As a guy, i'm finding it very hard to guess what my gf will like :) So it's sort of a guessing game at every end. Is she color sensitive? Will the color be off when girls look at each others' rings? Will getting SI's inclusion be visible? So that's why i'm sorta choosing the safer side (with VS level clarity and F or higher color). but that made the diamond smaller than I'd like.. and the lack of $$ doesn't help :)

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
btw, farmer gurl's diamond scored 1.4 on the HCA! That's very good, right? Does a lower HCA number really make it more sparkly?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
banana_tau|1312577509|2985012 said:
btw, farmer gurl's diamond scored 1.4 on the HCA! That's very good, right? Does a lower HCA number really make it more sparkly?

When talking about scores under two on the HCA --lower doesn't equal better. HCA is used to reject stones over two (although there are great stones over 2 as well).... So as long as it's under 2 it's great, doesn't have to be close to 0 to be "better" or the best.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
banana_tau|1312577430|2985011 said:
Thanks both for your answers.

As a guy, i'm finding it very hard to guess what my gf will like :) So it's sort of a guessing game at every end. Is she color sensitive? Will the color be off when girls look at each others' rings? Will getting SI's inclusion be visible? So that's why i'm sorta choosing the safer side (with VS level clarity and F or higher color). but that made the diamond smaller than I'd like.. and the lack of $$ doesn't help :)

If there is anyway you can learn her preferences, I'd recommend it. She may prefer size vs. colorless range, for example. If you want it to be an absolute surprise, then just check the return policy!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
banana_tau|1312577509|2985012 said:
Does a lower HCA number really make it more sparkly?

No. The HCA is a rejection tool only. It simply draws a "chalk outline" based on three main data points and predicts performance potential. Diamonds from 0.0-2.0 are considered equal - any differences will depend on cut-specifics such as precision/symmetry, minor facet details, brillianteering etc. Even some diamonds at the 2.0+ threshold can be perfectly fine, depending on their specifics.

1.4... 1.8... 2.0... 0.8... All could be equally fantastic. And/or they could have notably different "looks" depending on specifics.

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
thanks guys for the feedback :) i was looking to find HCA that's even lower... now it's good to know 0 - 2 is the same 'quality', and can search for other attributes.

I do want it to be a total surprise. so wish me luck!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Let us know what you decide and post photos! Good luck!

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
I was looking on blue nile, and foudn diamds that are slightly lower in clarity, but higher scores in other ways (very slightly bigger), polish is excellent, no flourescence.

Diamond 2:
Price: $5800
Carat: 0.82
Clarity: VS1
Polish: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 55 %
Crown: 34%
HCA: 1

Diamond 3:
Price: $5800
Carat: 0.81
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.2%
Table: 58 %
Crown: 32.5%
Pavilion: 41%
*Culet: Pointed
HCA: 0.8

But Diamond 2 and 3 are from BlueNile, so no idealscope.

So the question is, is the polish and fluorescence upgrade (and very slightly size upgrade) worth the drop in clarity and the lack of an idealscope?

Thank you soooooo much everyone!! this forum is awesome!

banana_tau|1312574254|2984987 said:
Sorry, I don't know how to edit the original post..
but the Pavilion is 40.8

banana_tau|1312570849|2984956 said:
Hi Guys,

download_0.jpg

troJane

Rough_Rock
hmm, paying $200 more 0.01 or 0.02 carats more? Suggestion, check out the mm to get a better idea.

But i do like stone#2 traditional tol cut, triple excellent, & no flourescence.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I plugged the numbers into the HCA and Diamond 3 looks better for spread than #2. Not sure it's worth more money over diamond 1.

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
The last question I have is, how important is the idealscope?

Since only diamond #1 has an ideal-scope, and the rest of the attributes have trade offs, should I still consider the BN ones?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Well, you can just be a bit more certain about what you're getting with the IS. But BN has a generous return policy so you can always order and return if it not as beautiful as you want it to be.

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I took some time to look at more diamonds, and I am now looking at the following:

Price: $5750
Carat: 0.81
Cut: Excellent on the GIA
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.3%
Table: 58 %
Crown: 34%
Pavaillion: 40.8%
Dimensions: 6.03 * 6.05 * 3.64
HCA: 1.1
hca.jpg

And here's the idealscope
is.jpg
Comment from Gemologist: "This diamond has great light performance which is indicated in the widespread red/pink colorization of the idealscope image. The diamond`s cloud is located under the table and its feather is in the pavilion. As expected, the diamond faces perfectly eye clean. Diamond is beautiful and bright and has great fire and brilliance."

How does this compare to the diamonds above?
Is this a good diamond? Again, No experience with buying diamonds. Any advice is greatly welcomed!

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

Any comments? Was hoping to finalize these couple of days.. THANKS!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good too. Idealscope image about the same level.

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
any more comments? any negatives? just very anxious :) It's a big purchase!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold11|1314827087|3006715 said:

Stonecold's "looks good" is worth fifty of a regular posters comments. You are good to go.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1314841869|3006974 said:
Stone-cold11|1314827087|3006715 said:

Stonecold's "looks good" is worth fifty of a regular posters comments. You are good to go.

haha so true.

it looks like a great choice :)

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
thanks guys :) just wanted some re-assurance. and definitely got it from u guys!!! thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results