shape
carat
color
clarity

Please let me know if this is a good deal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparklefreak

Rough_Rock
I am currently choosing my first RB and would like to seek the experts'' views on whether this is a good deal. Specs:

Colour: E
Clarity: VS1
Carat: 1.37
GIA Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Depth: 61.4%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Thin
Crown Angle: 35
Pavillion Angle: 41.2
Price: Approx 14,500 to 15,000

I plugged the numbers into the HCA and it only turned out a score of 3.5 and that it is worth buying is the price is right. In this case, is "the price right"?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I''m not a round expert, but this price seems high to me, especially since it''s probably not an AGS0. Here''s a couple from Whiteflash that are only a bit smaller in weight than this stone and are AGS0. The color is lower than the stone you picked, but I don''t think that would matter too much. They are also considerably cheaper than the one you picked out, and G is more than adequate color wise to most people.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-179762.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-210364.htm

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi sparklefreak,

It could be a good stone, but with your crown and pavillion angles (that''s why it scored what it did on the HCA), I would really want to see an IS image. Is there any way you can get one?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sparklefreak, welcome to the forum.

Did you try to compare prices for similar diamonds listed in the internet (run a search from the front page). You would probably find similar diamonds listed in the web for $1k-$2k cheaper but for local store it is probably reasonable.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I think the price seems a bit high, too. I''ve been looking at quite a few for future reference and similar quality stones have been about $9-10,000.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 6:29:23 AM
Author: Pricescope
Sparklefreak, welcome to the forum.

Did you try to compare prices for similar diamonds listed in the internet (run a search from the front page). You would probably find similar diamonds listed in the web for $1k-$2k cheaper but for local store it is probably reasonable.
Agreed. Also, that is a rather rare size, which can cause the price to go up a bit too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, and welcome! What you will learn if you stay on here long enough is that if you go with an ideal cut stone, you can easliy go to F, G or even lower color because the stone will face up very white. Now there is not a thing wrong with getting an E color, however, I''d never sacrifice the cut to get an E color. So you may want to read the tutorial on this site as well as the excellent one on the Good Old Gold site:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here ya go:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-210304.htm ($9613 with wire and pricescope discount)

You also need to look at the diameter measurement to see how large the stone actually looks. The stone you listed might not appear larger than some stones with a smaller carat weight because of the way it is cut. So always list the diameter when you list specs. The one I just listed is 7mm which is a nice size.

Sparklefreak

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks for your very helpful comments. Sorry Ellen, I don''t have an IS image of the stone (maybe because neither I nor my jeweler have an IS). You also mentioned this is a rare size. My jeweler actually advised that this is a value-for-money size as you are getting close to a 1.5 size but without paying the premium which comes with sizes like 1 or 1.5. Would it be advisable then to go bigger?

I am actually comparing 2 stones now. The other one has the following specs

AGS cert triple 0 (please note this is under the old AGS cert format)
colour: G
weight: 1.34
clarity: vs2
depth: 62%
table 56.4%
crown: 34.6%
pavilion: 41%
fluorescence: negligible
price: USD10,500 to 11,000

sorry i don''t have images of this. would this be a better buy? it doesn''t rate too well on the HCA either (if i recall correctly it''s a score of 2 point something).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkle, you still did not list the measurements of the stones, and without them, there is no way to really evaluate the stones.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 7:28:10 AM
Author: Sparklefreak
Hi everyone, thanks for your very helpful comments. Sorry Ellen, I don''t have an IS image of the stone (maybe because neither I nor my jeweler have an IS). You also mentioned this is a rare size. My jeweler actually advised that this is a value-for-money size as you are getting close to a 1.5 size but without paying the premium which comes with sizes like 1 or 1.5. Would it be advisable then to go bigger?

table 56.4%

sorry i don''t have images of this. would this be a better buy? it doesn''t rate too well on the HCA either (if i recall correctly it''s a score of 2 point something).
Your jeweler is right, in that yes, you''re getting the look of a 1.5, but many jewelers put a wee bit of a premium on that. However, you''re still going to pay less than if you jump to the 1.5, so no, try and stay under.

Again, (although this one is better) it''s the crown and pavillion angles that are causing the HCA score. If you have definitely decided you want one of these two, look at both and compare. Try and get to a window in the store, or better yet outside, as jeweler lights hide a multitude of sins.

If there are others to consider, because we can''t get an IS image, if you could find ones with a PA of say, 40.7-40.9, that would be "safer". There are fantastic stones with a 41 PA, I own one. But, they need to be tightly cut, and an IS helps.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 7:42:36 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Sparkle, you still did not list the measurements of the stones, and without them, there is no way to really evaluate the stones.
ds, I think we can tell a lot about the stones without them. I doubt they''re horrific, or would be enough not to buy. But they would be nice to know.

Sparklefreak

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 7:42:36 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Oh sorry, I just realised where to find the measurements (that is how inexperienced I am! =)).

OK here goes. The E VS1 is 7.16-7.20 x 4.41 mm

The G VS2 is 7.01-7.07 x 4.37mm.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2007 7:28:10 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for your very helpful comments. Sorry Ellen, I don't have an IS image of the stone (maybe because neither I nor my jeweler have an IS). You also mentioned this is a rare size. My jeweler actually advised that this is a value-for-money size as you are getting close to a 1.5 size but without paying the premium which comes with sizes like 1 or 1.5. Would it be advisable then to go bigger?

table 56.4%

sorry i don't have images of this. would this be a better buy? it doesn't rate too well on the HCA either (if i recall correctly it's a score of 2 point something).
Here's a comparison stone that is a new AGS000 hearts and arrows stone for around $10,300..but it is G VS1 and 7.04mm. What size are these diamonds?

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-210364.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, thanks. that is better!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The E stone is bigger than the G. But I feel like the E is overpriced compared to the G. If you have to buy from this jeweler, then I guess I''d pick the G. But the WF stone I just listed gets a higher clarity grade and is better cut for the same or less money. So you have to decide if buying locally is worth getting a stone that is not quite as good.

Sparklefreak

Rough_Rock
Hi diamond seeker, ellen, thanks for the analysis and the recommendations. I''m actually choosing the stone for my own e ring so I want to be sure that I am getting the best for the money he is paying. I have been browing good old gold and whiteflash for the past 2 weeks. I absolutely love the stones there but my concern is that I live in asia and will have no way of viewing the stones before purchase.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkle, I totally understand your hesitancy. I was the same way, and I live in the US!
2.gif

I have since bought from both these companies, sight unseen, although I had learned enough to know what I''m looking at.

You really can''t go wrong buying from either of these companies, and I would not say that if it weren''t true. We would be more than happy to help you find what you''re looking for, if you decided to go that route, and would not steer you wrong. We''re an honest bunch, as are these companies.
5.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, Sparkle! I am like Ellen in that I came on here also looking for a diamond for our anniversary. Over time, I knew what to look for and did buy from Good Old Gold. Then, I wanted diamonds for earrings, and I bought those at WF. I believe Ellen did the exact same just a little ahead of me! My stones are just gorgeous, and better than any I found locally. We don''t mean to sound pushy, it''s just that we hate seeing people settle for less than they can get elsewhere.

Sparklefreak

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 8:07:23 AM
Author: Ellen
Sparkle, I totally understand your hesitancy. I was the same way, and I live in the US!
2.gif

I have since bought from both these companies, sight unseen, although I had learned enough to know what I''m looking at.

You really can''t go wrong buying from either of these companies, and I would not say that if it weren''t true. We would be more than happy to help you find what you''re looking for, if you decided to go that route, and would not steer you wrong. We''re an honest bunch, as are these companies.
5.gif
Thank you very much! I will go do my homework and once I have narrowed down some more stones, I will definitely come back and seek opinions! Btw, I noticed that Goodoldgold actually has the solasfera, star 129 and eighternity and I have seen hearts on fire and gabrielle diamonds here. What do you guys think of this?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 8:17:20 AM

Thank you very much! I will go do my homework and once I have narrowed down some more stones, I will definitely come back and seek opinions! Btw, I noticed that Goodoldgold actually has the solasfera, star 129 and eighternity and I have seen hearts on fire and gabrielle diamonds here. What do you guys think of this?
You are welcome!

I''ll be honest, I have never seen those, so I really couldn''t comment on them. For that, it would be best to talk to GOG.

I have seen HOF though, and just his regular stones, and WF''s, are JUST as pretty, if not more.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results