shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help!!

Asha Williams

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

My partner and I have been designing my engagement ring for months with a jeweler that we choose on Esty. Her work looked amazing and she has hundreds of amazing reviews.

We settled on custom 8mm cushion halo moissanite and diamond ring. She sent us final pictures of the ring yesterday and I’m just not happy with how the halo turn out.

Not only do I hate the gaps in between the diamonds throughout the halo setting, they aren’t spaced out evenly. The diamonds on the left side of the halo are spaced out farther apart then the diamonds in the right side of the halo. The diamonds on the top and bottom of the halo aren’t evenly spaced out either. It looks weird to me and poorly done, especially given how my boyfriend spent on it :(

I’m not sure what the setting is called where there are no gaps in between the small diamonds on the halo but that’s what I would like instead. She’s already shipped out the ring and I want to ship it back and ask her to fix it… but is this something that could be fixed without compromising the entire ring? Does anyone know the name of the halo that I am describing?

Is there anything else that needs to be fixed? Thank you so much! 6D6141D3-9117-4EA4-8F6E-5D340BCDC8EE.jpeg D2CA586B-CD01-4BEE-834D-850C45167D24.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the designer would have to re-make the ring (not just fix it) to get what it is you are looking for. I think the kind of halo you might be referring to is called "french cut pave." If that is not it, then it might be "bead set pave."

I fully agree. I think it needs a full remake. Are there big blown up pictures of exactly how you want your ring to look? I think that might be your best bet to show your jeweler how you want the ring to look.

Not only are there large gaps between each stone in the halo, there is a significant gap between the center stone and the halo, so much so that you can see all for prongs of the each melee. So you see lots of metal on your halo.

There is no "name" for the type of halo you want. You want a very well made halo with finely done pave, and the melee stones set tightly next to each other and slightly tucked under the center stone. It's not easy, and a few very skilled craftsman can do it. Here are some links to halos done by Victor Canera. You can just use these pictures to show your jeweler how you want the halo to look.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from wanting a totally different style of pave setting option ( I would show the jeweler pictures of what you wanted, not just use verbiage)

I think it’s only fair to compare the issues you see in the melee placements with other macro photos from this same vendor of comparative styles.

Asking ‘what else might need to be fixed’ from us looking at this photo, without seeing the jewelers other work- in this case I don’t feel to be fair.

Edited to add- seeing the vendors listing pictures of the halo melee work you thought you were getting - would be helpful.

Congrats on your engagement!

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately this is pretty standard for jewelry that is mass produced (not all, of course, but often stuff from Etsy looks like this). It will need to be remade, and if you want it to look like a "tight" halo, you will likely need to go with a higher end vendor.

To balance cost with quality, I would personally contact David Klass.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from wanting a totally different style of pave setting option ( I would show the jeweler pictures of what you wanted, not just use verbiage)

I think it’s only fair to compare the issues you see in the melee placements with other macro photos from this same vendor of comparative styles.

Asking ‘what else might need to be fixed’ from us looking at this photo, without seeing the jewelers other work- in this case I don’t feel to be fair.

this is a good point--I should have noted that. If the vendor has other work that looks like this, then it's hard to imagine that he or she can remake it.

Asha Williams

Rough_Rock
I think the designer would have to re-make the ring (not just fix it) to get what it is you are looking for. I think the kind of halo you might be referring to is called "french cut pave." If that is not it, then it might be "bead set pave."

Thank you so much!

Asha Williams

Rough_Rock
I fully agree. I think it needs a full remake. Are there big blown up pictures of exactly how you want your ring to look? I think that might be your best bet to show your jeweler how you want the ring to look.

Not only are there large gaps between each stone in the halo, there is a significant gap between the center stone and the halo, so much so that you can see all for prongs of the each melee. So you see lots of metal on your halo.

There is no "name" for the type of halo you want. You want a very well made halo with finely done pave, and the melee stones set tightly next to each other and slightly tucked under the center stone. It's not easy, and a few very skilled craftsman can do it. Here are some links to halos done by Victor Canera. You can just use these pictures to show your jeweler how you want the halo to look.

This is so helpful. Wow. Thank you for helping with the language of it all. I knew it looked off.

Here are some pictures of rings posted on her Instagram and esty shop and examples of halos I love and examples I shared with her. Some of these rings are priced lower then how much we spent on the one above. My fear is that she won’t remake it due to her “no refunds or exchanges” policy.

5D80D276-E782-487D-85D8-7B1E11DCB899.jpeg 68515D85-17CE-4C25-B289-3A3CBBF412CF.jpeg B6BE0AA7-1C0E-45D9-9A78-15C1843A5DA6.jpeg 09857393-1654-4C84-B952-37E16C14BD88.png

Asha Williams

Rough_Rock

Edited to add- seeing the vendors listing pictures of the halo melee work you thought you were getting - would be helpful.

Thank you so much!

Here are some other examples of her work. This is what I told her I wanted.

D12964A3-60FD-49C5-A0EF-711377F44C81.jpeg DFCB5965-36B1-49B0-93B8-478FDA1B6427.jpeg 1F75F979-D3D4-4982-A7A0-A02C58B39E34.jpeg

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
This can be super stressful to see such magnified photos. Sometimes, in person, the small details don’t bother you. I hope you fall in love with it when it arrives! ❤️

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the morganite pear halo style is what you want, and at least shows the vendor is capable of it.

I wouldn't use the "S&P" diamond as inspiration because it looks very messy to me.

PS. the double halo looks significantly less well made than yours, so I also woudn't use that one as inspiration

Asha Williams

Rough_Rock
This can be super stressful to see such magnified photos. Sometimes, in person, the small details don’t bother you. I hope you fall in love with it when it arrives! ❤️
Aw thank you. I do feel so stressed, I’m not sure why. I was going to wait until he proposes to see it in person but know I want to see it in person as soon as it arrives just in case we need to have it redone. Which kinda makes me sad. Idk, am I over thinking it? @MamaBear

Asha Williams

Rough_Rock
I think the morganite pear halo style is what you want, and at least shows the vendor is capable of it.

I wouldn't use the "S&P" diamond as inspiration because it looks very messy to me.

PS. the double halo looks significantly less well made than yours, so I also woudn't use that one as inspiration

Yes, I think so to.
I really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
@Asha Williams, no you are not overthinking it! This is a big purchase so it’s natural to fret a bit. Just remember, “don’t worry about tomorrow’s trouble today”! One step at a time…. =)2

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if it’s not the same construction style/quality as the vendor advertised -
That’s an issue - or it would be to me.

I can appreciate ‘things looking different’ in person vs macro photography and what one can see with the unaided naked eye.
But comparing macro photo to macro photo - getting like-for-like is somewhat important IMO. What a vendor advertises vs what they produce for you?
I don’t think that’s unreasonable to think /believe that way?

Another factor would be the cost of the mounting itself. Is it a reasonable outcome for 1k, but maybe not so for 2.5k??

910495B6-E233-46C4-9914-EAC97A6B95E0.jpeg A4995C7F-40E4-4B04-9A93-57EBCB1613BB.jpeg

Asha Williams

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your thoughts everyone! I really appreciated many of your affirmations and reassurances. The ring arrived yesterday and my partner wanted me to try it on just in case we needed to send it back. As soon as he put it on I cried! I actually love it!!!! We aren't officially engaged yet because he wants to formally ask and is planning a proposal. While it's not what I was envisioning, it's actually quite stunning. To those of you who said the gaps wouldn’t be visible to the naked eye were correct. And while the halo isn’t perfect, it’s still really pretty. Thank you again. Here is a pic of it in person. Excuse my nails, I'll have those done before the proposal lol

F6E92A43-D111-4C27-B99F-6420DF87F441.jpeg F0BAA430-D2AA-4313-B99F-1AD0E3E423E9.jpeg

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I’m so glad to hear that you love your ring. You’ll never see a magnified version while wearing it on your finger. =)2 It’s very pretty.

Best wishes on your upcoming engagement.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you love it
And congratulations!!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
awwww..it is beautiful. Zoomed in photos are so deceiving. Congratulations I'm so glad you love it.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your thoughts everyone! I really appreciated many of your affirmations and reassurances. The ring arrived yesterday and my partner wanted me to try it on just in case we needed to send it back. As soon as he put it on I cried! I actually love it!!!! We aren't officially engaged yet because he wants to formally ask and is planning a proposal. While it's not what I was envisioning, it's actually quite stunning. To those of you who said the gaps wouldn’t be visible to the naked eye were correct. And while the halo isn’t perfect, it’s still really pretty. Thank you again. Here is a pic of it in person. Excuse my nails, I'll have those done before the proposal lol

That's beautiful!! Looks wonderful on you

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! So glad you love it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really sweet! So happy that you love it. Many congratulations to you and your fiancé.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! I know you were worried, and I want you to know that it looks fantastic on you!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much!

Here are some other examples of her work. This is what I told her I wanted.

D12964A3-60FD-49C5-A0EF-711377F44C81.jpeg DFCB5965-36B1-49B0-93B8-478FDA1B6427.jpeg 1F75F979-D3D4-4982-A7A0-A02C58B39E34.jpeg

those are beautiful, i can see why you went with her
i hope when you get it in person it is much more pleasing to the eye than the photos she she sent you

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

F6E92A43-D111-4C27-B99F-6420DF87F441.jpeg F0BAA430-D2AA-4313-B99F-1AD0E3E423E9.jpeg

oh wow !
and we have our happy ending :kiss2:
:kiss2: :kiss2:
im so happy for you
also congradulations to both of your upcoming engagement

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
The rose gold is beautiful against your skin tone!! I am so glad you love it!! Congratulations! :appl:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Aww; the ring looks beautiful on you, and I am so happy that you love it! :love: So now you just have to weather the suspense of the proposal... please come back with details afterwards, and congratulations in advance!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results