shape
carat
color
clarity

please help with this oec gia certification

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missismene

Shiny_Rock
we have chosen a oec diamond ering. my fi wanted to have it gia certified. so the report came back today and we were a little disappointed.

when we had chosen the diamond it had read h color/sI
and now this is what the report says.

old european cut
7.70*7.79*4.84mm
color K
clarity I1
td 67.4
table size 47%
girdle-extremely thin to slightly thick
fl-none
cutlet large
polish good
symmetry fair
comments-additional clouding is not shown. surface graining is not shown.

any input?
i love the diamond and the setting. i have pic if it would help anyone to let me know if this is a good purchase.
i am happy with the color, it faces up very light. i tried on quite a few oec diamonds and noticed the warm color in others. while i do like that in a stone, i really liked this one for some reason.

the diamond is priced around 7.5K
should fi negotiate a lower price due to the grading?

thank you for any advice.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the ct weight?

missismene

Shiny_Rock
I was on the old wold diamond website and saw many priced comparatively.
But many of those were EGL certification.
What makes you think the price is high? I really appreciate honest opinions, so thank you!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is the ct weight and what does the setting look like?
price sounds high but need more info.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I changed my post! I accidentally converted the measurements to ct weight based on a standard round brilliant.

And we would love to see pictures.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
If they were prepared to sell an H SI1 for $7,500, then yes. I tried to get some comps and came close at Old World Diamonds. Similar color and clarity to what you were graded at came much closer to $5.5-$6. Does your price include the mounting? Pictures would help too, because if it is especially beautiful to the eye, or good clarity, that could justify a higher price. Remember, old diamonds do not follow the same hard number guidelines that modern cuts do.

missismene

Shiny_Rock
okay the diamond is 1.54ct and the setting is a delicate platinum setting (i am leaving it in original setting.)
i will post a co of pics.
thank you so much!
my fi is a number crunching fact finding nerd! and doesn''t understand my love of this diamond. but i love him for wanting to try hard to get me the best ering he can. i just love this one!

myringad11.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
just an example of the band.
i am making a more delicate wedding band.

myringwithsampleband11.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
pic of the stone taken out of the setting.

stone21ad 11.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
side view of loose stone.

stone31ad11.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
last one, sorry if this is overkill. i just do not know what is important for you guys to see.

stone221ad11.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I remember this one! Yes!! I just checked your first thread. It is a very, very pretty stone

Does it say on the GIA document what the grade setting inclusions were? That may make a difference. If they were naturals on the girdle, instead of eye visible inclusions in the diamond, that would need to be taken into consideration. However, if they are chips that indicate a very thin girdle and a stone susceptible to easy damage, that too would affect the $$. All in all, $7500 isn''t a bargain, but neither do I think it is excessively high.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Does the price include the setting? Price is high for a K I1 stone alone.

It's very pretty! If you can negotiate a lower price--couldn't hurt.

--or just love it and enjoy! Congrats!

missismene

Shiny_Rock
thank you, i just love the stone.
the price for the ring was approx 8.5K with setting. but i plan to embellish it a little with etch work and miligrain. but not too much. to me it really does not need it.
so maybe talk to him about lowering the price of the stone a little as one poster suggested?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yah, I''d try to get the price lowered. It''s lovely! Please come back with more pics when it''s finished. Glad you love it--a beautiful ring!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with coatimundi
It is a beautiful diamond, and I''d try to negotiate a slightly lower price. Not that there''s anything inherently wrong with K/I1- but the price should be commensurate.
You''d think old mine and OEC diamonds should be a lot less than modern cuts- but the fact is, they are not really that much less- especially if they are nice ones.

missismene

Shiny_Rock
that is what we are going to try to do. negotiate a slightly lower price.
does anyone have an idea of how to come up with this conclusion (the price?)
we do not want a big deal or something, we want to pay what it is worth.
i know it is pathetic of me, but i wonder if he paid for it under the same assumptions and needs to price it somewhere to even profit.
i know i shouldn''t concern myself with that but i am saying i want to pay what it is worth.
comparing this stone to the other oec diamonds on old world diamonds it is hard to find a comparable esp. a gia certified.
so when i am looking at egl certs, how do i compare the two?
as would a k in gia equal a j or somehting in egl-
or should i give up and have a glass of wine?
i am tired of trying to figure out the diamonds!
thank you for your help. it has bar far been the best help with my ering search.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 6:36:11 PM
Author: missismene
that is what we are going to try to do. negotiate a slightly lower price.

does anyone have an idea of how to come up with this conclusion (the price?)

we do not want a big deal or something, we want to pay what it is worth.

i know it is pathetic of me, but i wonder if he paid for it under the same assumptions and needs to price it somewhere to even profit.

i know i shouldn't concern myself with that but i am saying i want to pay what it is worth.

comparing this stone to the other oec diamonds on old world diamonds it is hard to find a comparable esp. a gia certified.

so when i am looking at egl certs, how do i compare the two?

as would a k in gia equal a j or somehting in egl-

or should i give up and have a glass of wine?

i am tired of trying to figure out the diamonds!

thank you for your help. it has bar far been the best help with my ering search.

#1--have a glass of wine.
1.gif

EGL can be soft on color grading by. EGL US is a bit better than EGL. Color and clarity are where you are going to see big price jumps. It was sold to you as an H SI and it isn't. It's up to you how you want to proceed. Just do a little pricing research and approach the vendor with your info--if you'd like. No harm, no foul.

It's gorgeous and you love it--drink your wine and enjoy!

missismene

Shiny_Rock
thank you, i will take your advice.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Have you had your wine yet?

I agree with the general consensus on the pricing. I always say that people need to judge these pieces with their eyes and not what the paper says. If the fact that the diamond came back an K vs an H and an I1 vs an SI1 does not make you love it any less, then....

However, I would still approach your jeweler with this information and take it from there. Was the clarity grading due to factors other than bearding, nicks, chips on the stone? If the clarity was dinged due to the reasons mentioned, but is actually eye clean, then you can also take that into consideration.

Now, for the good news: The diamond appears to be a good make for an OEC - its very pretty!

missismene

Shiny_Rock
erica,
i am settling in with my glass and making crab cakes for fi. thank you for the advice. i love it but i really s appreciate you response.
the cutlet is large, i did not mention that, does this have any affect on the previous info that i posted?
i love the cutlet. but want to make sure about the cutlet being large.
thanks again!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The culet (not cutlet
1.gif
) has nothing to do with the above, so no worries about that.

You bought the diamond and NOT the paper - hope that helps you somewhat (assuming your jeweler does not budge on the price, that is).

Good luck to you and enjoy your vino!

ps: Grace here, not Erica (but I forgive you)
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results