shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with pear diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Luckyleslie

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I am new here and desperately need some expert help. I want to upgrade my pear shaped diamond pendant of .50 Carat to a larger one. Perhaps just under a full carat so that there is enough of a difference to notice. I don''t have much to look at where I live, but did see one that looked very pretty to me. The store only had the one, so I had no others for comparison. My concern is the table percentage of 64%. Please take a look at my info and tell me what you think.
GIA
0.92 Pear
color - G
Clarity - VS1
depth percentage 62.4
table percentage 64
polish - good
symmetry - good
Flourescence - faint
Girdle - med-thick
culet - none
Measurements - 7.80-5.51-3.44 (ratio 1.42)

Like I said, it looks pretty and I really like the shape. Nice fat teardrop. I know the table is large. Is this cutting down on the brilliance? With no comparison, I don''t know what it should look like. It has a Diamond Dossier so I don''t have the crown and pavilion angles. The price is $4000.
Thanks so much for any help.
Leslie
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Leslie
35.gif

Fancy shapes are tricky to judge by numbers, your own eyes are the best judge of beauty and they seem to approve of this diamond? However, numbers give you a place to start, so here is a cut class chart you can use.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc3.asp

Also here is the very useful shape selector which might be of help too

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc3.asp

Sorry I can't be of more help!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Luckyleslie and Welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

Just for comparison, I did a search from the Homepage for Pear shapes, 0.90-0.99, G VS1 and came up with the following diamond from James Allen: 0.91 G VS1 61% Table 64.3% Depth 1.54 L/W $3710.

This may give you an idea about pricing. You could probably expand you search by a couple color and clarity grades and find even more.

Typically, the L/W on a pear should be around 1.5 - 1.75. The one you saw was a little fatter. The other thing you should look for is the bowtie effect. There is a bowtie in just about every pear, oval and marquise cut diamond - you just want to minimize it.

Here is a link to another Cut Grade table: AGA Rules for Pear Cut Grades.

Lorelei gave you great advice - the beauty of the stone is really up to your own eye.

PearNut

Rough_Rock
Luckyleslie,

I am also new to this sight - I don''t have much experience on the details of the stones - but I have a 1ct, G, VVS2 pear and LOVE IT!

I am actually looking to reset my stone because of wear and tear (18 years) on the setting and every B&M I walk into that I mention that I''m looking at settings ask me, what are you looking for - princess cut or round?

I love the fact that a pear is not very popular (and they poo-pooed it on Sex and the City) and I agree with the other postings that you HAVE to LOVE it!

I can''t wait to see your new ring! Good luck in your search.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results