shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with my path to proposal and y diamond selection

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I've decided after 3 years, it's time to get the ball rolling on a proposal. After tons of research with my girlfriend we have selected a custom design by Mark Schneider for the setting and now need help on the diamond. Its a platinum band in their florette design, with a yellow gold head of their dainty design. After the original drawings, she has not seen anything other than diamonds.

What I'm really having a hard time figuring out is if the diamonds are good deals.

The first is a 1.03 fancy with what look like good specs for 10k. The second, the one on the wax, is slightly cheaper for a bit under 10k, but the specs don't look nearly as good. I've attached the certs below. Any help? Keep looking? Do Lebish, James Allen, or Diamonds by Lauren have better or the same specs at better prices?

img_9378.jpg

20150919_0.jpg

20150919_1.jpg

20150918_180845.jpg

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock
Re: Please help with my path to proposal and y diamond selec

Final cert.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate any input.

20150919_104737.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

That's a pretty setting (I know that isn't your question). ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Fancy colored diamonds aren' t the same as white diamonds at all. Completely different animal. It's all about color, color, color.

I would ask the moderators to move your post to the colored stones forum. They should be better equipped to help you there.

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock

Thanks both! First posts so I'm just getting my bearings.... Hopefully the mods can move it over there.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

The second one is I1 so is it even eye clean? I wonder why the GIA reports only list table and depth % even though they are round brilliant cuts. Color is very important but it appears neither of these may be exceptionally cut. Polish and symmetry only being good on the latter in conjunction with the aforementioned lead me to wonder just how well it performs.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

I agree that you will probably get more input in the CS forum. :wavey:

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock

Hi Solgen, thanks for the input. Honestly, this is all new to me so I'm kind of struggling through. Imo the S1 looks very nice until you put it under magnification. I'm guessing the color masks the imperfections... I just want to get the best I can for my money.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to get this moved?

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock

Hi All,

I figured I bump the question with an update. I really didn't like the abrupt transition from the florette band to the dainty head so i've asked for an adjustment on the wax. I'll update with more pictures when it comes through.

Head design inspiration http://www.markschneiderdesign.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-engagement-rings/dainty
Band design inspiration http://www.markschneiderdesign.com/engagement-rings/floral-engagement-rings/florette-engagement-ring

img_9406.jpg

img_9407.jpg

img_9409.jpg

img_9411.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

Littlehouse|1442812279|3930091 said:
Hi Solgen, thanks for the input. Honestly, this is all new to me so I'm kind of struggling through. Imo the S1 looks very nice until you put it under magnification. I'm guessing the color masks the imperfections... I just want to get the best I can for my money.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to get this moved?

I'm squinting to read the report, but it looks like I1 to me not S1. I would not purchase this stone as you should be able to find a better clarity grade in a yellow diamond. Color is everything in a fancy colored diamond (FCD) and sitting in the wax molds it is impossible to judge color at all. Round brilliant cuts are a little harder to find than other cuts in FCDs as some other cuts are more conducive to getting the most color out of the rough.

The other diamond is internally flawless- so you're paying a premium for that. I would contact Leibish and DBL to see what they might have in the size, color intensity, and cut you want. Although I haven't priced fancy yellows for awhile, the prices you're quoting seem awfully high.

eta- pretty setting!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

ok- just checked DBL's site and no yellow round brilliants listed, but you could call David and see if he has something not listed. Leibish has a couple on their site, but many times they also have inventory not listed so might be worth an email. Are you totally set on a round brilliant or is a square cushion a possibility? Lots more availability in cushions. And prices were more in the $8000.00 range (some less and a few a bit more) for around a carat in a fancy yellow. For $10,000.00 you should be able to get a fancy intense yellow.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Isn't it kind of late to decide on which FCD you want to use when the wax is ready? In doing it backwards like this, you become very limited as to the diameter measurements of the FCD.
1. FCD is all about colour, so find the colour you like best
2. I am not fussed whether it is I1 or SI1 or IF, as long as it is both eye clean and mind clean for you.
3. For 10K, you should able to purchase something with stronger saturation than a Fancy Yellow.

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock

pinkjewel|1442968657|3930708 said:
ok- just checked DBL's site and no yellow round brilliants listed, but you could call David and see if he has something not listed. Leibish has a couple on their site, but many times they also have inventory not listed so might be worth an email. Are you totally set on a round brilliant or is a square cushion a possibility? Lots more availability in cushions. And prices were more in the $8000.00 range (some less and a few a bit more) for around a carat in a fancy yellow. For $10,000.00 you should be able to get a fancy intense yellow.

Hi Pink, I'm definitely going to call and see what everyone has. I'm actually planning on visiting DBL in Dec, but I'd love to close the deal on this a little earlier. From what I've seen, the round has more sparkle and that's the winner from my g/f. I've noticed that the cushions are cheaper, but it's all about her. Thanks for the input and the hope for a Fancy Intense. I'd be ecstatic.

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1443016471|3930823 said:
Isn't it kind of late to decide on which FCD you want to use when the wax is ready? In doing it backwards like this, you become very limited as to the diameter measurements of the FCD.
1. FCD is all about colour, so find the colour you like best
2. I am not fussed whether it is I1 or SI1 or IF, as long as it is both eye clean and mind clean for you.
3. For 10K, you should able to purchase something with stronger saturation than a Fancy Yellow.

Hi Chrono, I'm not sure if I'm doing it backwards as this is my first time... that being said, Mark Schneider has been amazing and has told me they will adjust based upon what I eventually get. I told then it will be between 1 to 1.2 carats so thats what they have it set up for now. I'm trying to hold out for fancy intense so thanks for the hope. I think it's going to be a challenge at 1 carat though.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade

If she's into sparkle, do you really want to do a yellow diamond?

As mentioned above, fancy colored diamonds are not best suited by round brilliant cuts, as they are cut for brilliance. You will see more cushions and radiants in fancy colored diamonds because they *hold* more color.

Waxes are relatively cheap. I wouldn't worry about taking that into consideration as you make your decision. But I would choose the diamond first before going ahead with anything else. The diamond is the most important, and expensive part.

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock

She definitely wants yellow, but we my have to look into cushion more if they hold the color better. Round just plays up the sunflower theme a little better on the setting. I got some updated wax pictures today so I'll have to post those up tomorrow. Any suggestions on places to visit at the LA diamond district?

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock
Hello all:

Instead of cluttering another thread I figured I would update this one. Unfortunately my girlfriend lost her job a couple times, and spending $15k-$20k on an engagement ring was going to take a backseat to keeping a roof over our head. I really didn't want her to settle, so I put the ring on the back burner until we sailed into calmer waters. I think that time is now. I've uploaded the latest drawing of her engagement ring and wedding band, in yellow and clear diamonds, below. This was done right before we hit a little bump in the road. Note: They do the wax for both at the same time for fitment, they are not attached permanently.

The first thing I would like to do is get the diamond. I'm aiming for an eye clean 1 carat fancy intense yellow diamond in a cushion shape for a max of $5k. Is this doable? Will I have to drop down to fancy color, or possibly lab made? Any leads on where I should be looking? I have Mark Schneider looking and also a friend at Optima Diamonds. Anyone else I should be looking into?

I'm also not positive that I will be staying with Mark Schneider because it seems as though their settings are extremely expensive compared to other places. They already have a wax made, $300, but I've heard that will be nothing compared to what I save. Does their reputation and quality of work demand the high price? Any other high quality Jewelers I should be looking at? I've heard the design is pretty simple, and I'm hoping to stay in the $10-$15k range for everything, including taxes. Hopefully on the lower end. The total quote from Mark Schneider, with a $10k stone, was close to $20k. I'm hoping to meet with them this weekend to discuss, and move forward. I'll keep you posted.
yellow 1.jpg

Thank you all so much for your help!:mrgreen:

David

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock
Hi Sparklies,

Thanks for the link. I'd love a vivid, but unfortunately the .5 carat would be too small for the design I attached. I do think the wax may have to be re-done, because the original stone was 1.25 c, but I'm not sure it would proportion out right with anything less than 1 carat. I may be OK with something like a .9 that sizes up well, but I'm not sure.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all:

Thank you all so much for your help!:mrgreen:

David

You might get setting quotes from GreenLake Jewellers and David Klass (call don't email him). GLJ is likely expensive, but maybe less so than your current maker. They have a number of designs with this nature-leaf feeling. You can also look at simplifying the design by removing the bottom 5 diamonds on both bands. The diamond removal will not be a huge cost-saving, but that would allow you to raise your diamond budget. Also, you can put of the production cost of the wedding band until the wedding is closer.
https://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx#,O,MTG-1
David Klass: (213) 489-4569

If it were me, I'd put far less into the setting and more into diamond. Something to bear in mind is that colored diamonds are often cut to retain weight at the cost of performance. If you want excellent performance and color, you will be looking at a much higher cost. Personally, I prefer a well performing diamond, but if you've looked at enough colored diamonds maybe your GF is clear.

Here are few that look like the color range you are looking for but lower clarity. Make sure to compare cushions by spread in mm not by weight. Cushions can be cut in a variety of ways and hit the same weight.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...tense-yellow-i1-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r7361

These are pretty, but smaller than your goal.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...ancy-yellow-si2-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r7241
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...vs2-cushion-cut-gia-extraordinary-stone-r5058

Edited to add:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-CERTIF...NTIQUE-MINE-/401478006214?hash=item5d79f435c6

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-22_19-45-2.png
    upload_2018-1-22_19-45-2.png
    200.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another thing to consider with your design people is that fewer diamonds extending down the ring will make it possible to change the size...........if necessary down the road. Diamonds extending a long way can make resizing impossible.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0F35F8BD-F39F-4C97-9D9A-D1E4522947D6.jpeg 80618671-5EF1-43D2-B2F6-C869FA42C8EC.jpeg 5A2E2243-2605-43E6-A9A6-473E605329CF.jpeg I know you want a diamond, but for a beautiful yellow colour and a much more economical price, you could go with sapphire. Well cut yellow / golden sapphires can be very sparkly.
Here are my two - and this is me with an iPhone and natural (overcast though) light - about as basic as it comes.
If your budget is tight and you have that exquisite setting, don’t let it down with a too small, too “ok enough” diamond. Get a nice sapphire at the right size to do justice to the setting and in a few years time when finances improve, swap it out for that amazing fancy yellow diamond of your dreams.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've never heard of the jeweler you were working with. I agree with others that you should put more into the center stone and less into the setting.

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock
You might get setting quotes from GreenLake Jewellers and David Klass (call don't email him). GLJ is likely expensive, but maybe less so than your current maker. They have a number of designs with this nature-leaf feeling. You can also look at simplifying the design by removing the bottom 5 diamonds on both bands. The diamond removal will not be a huge cost-saving, but that would allow you to raise your diamond budget. Also, you can put of the production cost of the wedding band until the wedding is closer.
https://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx#,O,MTG-1
David Klass: (213) 489-4569

If it were me, I'd put far less into the setting and more into diamond. Something to bear in mind is that colored diamonds are often cut to retain weight at the cost of performance. If you want excellent performance and color, you will be looking at a much higher cost. Personally, I prefer a well performing diamond, but if you've looked at enough colored diamonds maybe your GF is clear.

Here are few that look like the color range you are looking for but lower clarity. Make sure to compare cushions by spread in mm not by weight. Cushions can be cut in a variety of ways and hit the same weight.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...tense-yellow-i1-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r7361

These are pretty, but smaller than your goal.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...ancy-yellow-si2-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r7241
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...vs2-cushion-cut-gia-extraordinary-stone-r5058

Edited to add:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-CERTIF...NTIQUE-MINE-/401478006214?hash=item5d79f435c6

Thank you so much for the reply! I will definitely give David a call to see what he can do for me, and LOVE the vivid stone. What great color.

I was thinking about removing a couple of the diamonds, and stopping half way up the setting like the Tiffany Novo. I'm guessing this may be more comfortable for her as well... "I've never worn a ring in my life"

That is a very solid point on weight vs. size. Any ideas on what the face should measure? I'm hoping to get a face that looks like a well cut 1 carat round. I'm hoping a bright color will make up for a "smaller" diamond.

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock
0F35F8BD-F39F-4C97-9D9A-D1E4522947D6.jpeg 80618671-5EF1-43D2-B2F6-C869FA42C8EC.jpeg 5A2E2243-2605-43E6-A9A6-473E605329CF.jpeg I know you want a diamond, but for a beautiful yellow colour and a much more economical price, you could go with sapphire. Well cut yellow / golden sapphires can be very sparkly.
Here are my two - and this is me with an iPhone and natural (overcast though) light - about as basic as it comes.
If your budget is tight and you have that exquisite setting, don’t let it down with a too small, too “ok enough” diamond. Get a nice sapphire at the right size to do justice to the setting and in a few years time when finances improve, swap it out for that amazing fancy yellow diamond of your dreams.

Wow! Those Sapphires are beautiful! I especially like the first picture posted. Round is our preference, but all the jewelers I talk to say round diamonds don't hold the color well. They also seem to be more expensive. Maybe Sapphires are a different animal. Where should I be looking if I want to price out Sapphires? My girlfriend actually said she would rather have a Sapphire than a lab diamond because they were pulled from the ground that way. Are yours irradiated?

Thanks for the ideas!

Littlehouse

Rough_Rock
S

SparkliesLuver

Wow! That second one is stunning! The color, clarity, and cut are all awesome! I'm going to call on this one to see if I can get anymore pictures. I'm wondering why it's so cheap....

Completely agree! When you call, you might see if they can put it on hold for you (while they get you more info and decide). Someone else may have the same thought. ;-)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
18769F54-B646-4227-B5D3-7167F7434333.jpeg Hi, no it’s the natural colour, but I don’t know if it’s heat treated because I haven’t had it assessed. I would presume it is as it’s a common practice. It’s a good size, about 2.5 carats, though that might be too big. It isn’t perfect, it has a minuscule chip to the bottom. It’s hard to see unless you look closely but it’s a little lighter toned to one part of the girdle (outside edge) and slightly more orange in another area. Sapphire naturally have “colour zoning” so they cut them to minimize the obvious changes.
If you’d like it, let me know, it’s not one I’m keeping.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results