shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with diamond specs!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sapphyre

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I have been doing some diamond research and have been reading these forums for a couple days now. ( My eyes hurt from all the reading and seeing all the bling!)

My boyfriend and I are looking for a diamond for my engagement ring. My friend''s mother is able to get diamonds at a cheaper price through her friend that owns a jewelry store. My friend recently got engaged and got a beautiful ring though them as well.
Now I am a complete noob at this diamond thing because I always thought it ended with the 4C''s. After doing some research, it clearly is not. Not knowing all this info ( I still have much to learn though!) I just gave some specs of what I wanted in the diamond... but only of the 4C''s. I wanted a round brilliant 1.00 carat, no lower than VS1, ideal cut and color no lower than G. That is what I told my friend''s mother to tell her friend to find my diamond. She said they would call me when they found a couple of diamonds for me to come in to compare. My friend also convinced my that I shouldn''t go lower for clarity than a VVS1 because she claims she can see the cloudiness in them any lower than that, but that seems to be wrong also after reading these forums.

Now I am kind of worried after reading through these forums because that doesn''t tell a lot of the quality.

What kind of other details should I tell them so that I get a good quality diamond. In terms of specs for table diameter, crown angle, pavillon angle, polish and anything else that I missed, what are "ideal" or an ideal range in each of these and other important factors of a diamond? I am fascinated by the hearts and arrows!
I apologize if this had been touched on these forums but I am going cross-eyed reading on my computer for the past 6 hours!
6.gif

Is there any other advice you knowledgable folks can give me?

Thanks in advance!
26.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would just ask for their best cut...see what they can get for you. hopefully they will have crown and pavilion measurements. you can come back here and compare specs and prices with what you find.
2.gif

best of luck to you!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Belle makes a good suggestion. Also, you could add "AGS0" parameters to give it some teeth. And, if your friend has available to them options with AGS documentation, asking for options with docs dated after 6/1/05, and AGS0...and you''ll be helping to insure the diamond is well cut.

MrBleeker

Shiny_Rock

If you can see things in diamonds in VS1 or VS2 you need to be piloting jets for the air force... !

Either way, if you stick to VS2 or higher, you should be just fine.... you''ll find SI1''s that are just fine as well, just a tad harder and it isn''t always a guarentee especially if you have eagle eye vision.

Best of luck to you with finding a perfect stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results