shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paulg14

Rough_Rock
Can someone please give me some advice. I have been doing a lot of research before buying the diamond. I was quoted $7800 for the following diamond including platinum setting. 2.03c I color SI2. EGL-USA certified.
Now I am a little weary of the EGL tag due to the numerous posts on the board. The dealer seems to be trustworthy. He has spent a lot of time (I have been back several times) explaining/showing etc., where most others did not want to do any of this.
The diamond is beautiful. I can not see any imperfections and the color looks great. I just want to make sure I am not getting ripped off. Additionally, can someone please comment if I should stay away from EGL certs. Thank-you

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Hope I am not speaking out of turn here. Many on here are WAY more experienced and knowledgeable than little old me. That said, here goes.
1.gif
In my experience for a Princess cut diamond (didn't shop for any other cuts), EGL is less reliable. EGL USA is more reliable however than say EGL Belgium or elsewhere. That is not to say all EGL cert's are not good. They just are not as strict. So an I color may not really be an I. It may be, but may not be. If you know the jeweler, feel good about him/her, they have a good reputation that you have heard of for years by multiple sources and most importantly, you love the stone. Then great, you are probably fine with that. I myself ended up getting a GIA cert stone after deciding against an EGL stone. That EGL though was from an unknown source. If the jeweler I did buy from showed me an EGL and I liked it, I would not have hesitated to buy from him. I am babbling, but I think somewhere in here I am making sense.
confused.gif
The biggest thing I've learned by shopping and living on this site is that if the stone speaks to you, that is most important. The rest is secondary. Lastly, if you want to know for sure before you pull the trigger on that stone, take it to an independent appraiser. If the jeweler is worth their weight, they will be glad to let you do so. Do not use someone they recommend though, get a name from this site or others you trust. Hope I am (at least somewhat) helpful.
9.gif

paulg14

Rough_Rock
One more thing to add. It was a round stone

Abazias

Rough_Rock
Hi!

As long as you are aware, that EGL certificates can be more lenient than GIA and AGS certified diamonds, it is fine to purchase an EGL stone. The color may be closer to J color but you said it looked nice and white and you said the SI2 quality was eye-clean. There is more to a diamond’s price than the color and quality to consider. The most important thing is the cut of the diamond. Look at the AGS chart under round to get an idea where your diamond falls. The diamond price looks very good if the diamond has a nice cut. You can find some good deals with an EGL graded stones and this might be one of them.

Good Luck,
Felicia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results