shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help - UPS Lost Heirloom Diamond Ring

OsGirl

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Please let me know if this posted in the wrong place but I thought I'd start here. My sister-in-law (husband's sister) left her jewelry at our home when she was staying with us. She asked us to ship the items to her as we wouldn't be seeing her again for some time. Included was their grandmother's (who has long since passed away) wedding ring which she wears as an every day ring on her right hand.

We shipped it though the UPS store at Staples and I insured the package at $5,000. Well, long story short - it was lost in delivery. UPS opened a claim on the lost package but now to recover, they want us to provide proof of value. They suggested finding a like object at another store but I have no idea how to do this for an heirloom product. I'm unsure if she has insured on her own (I hope so but somehow with the way this has played out, it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't) but she has been traveling for work and I haven't been able to get in touch with her to find out.

Has this every happened to anyone before? Does anyone have suggestions on how we can get this resolved?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am under the impression UPS insurance doesn't cover jewelry, but I guess it must if they are asking her to find a similar piece

To find a comparable, I would check etsy or ebay. Was it art deco? Old european cut stones? Mid century?

Oh, PS. You sound sweet since you want to help, but this is really her issue that she needs to resolve. (Friendly reminder...)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am under the impression UPS insurance doesn't cover jewelry, but I guess it must if they are asking her to find a similar piece

To find a comparable, I would check etsy or ebay. Was it art deco? Old european cut stones? Mid century?

Oh, PS. You sound sweet since you want to help, but this is really her issue that she needs to resolve. (Friendly reminder...)

UPS will only deal with the sender who took out the insurance.
It is going to take both of them to resolve this.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I forgot about that.

What a pain this is. OP since UPS tracks everything, do they think this is internal theft?

OsGirl

Rough_Rock
Yes, I forgot about that.

What a pain this is. OP since UPS tracks everything, do they think this is internal theft?
They didn't say. I dropped it off at the Staples/UPS store but according to their tracking it was never picked up. It may have been internal theft at Staples but who knows. :/

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did UPS ask what was in the package? Presumably if a value is given of $5000 for insurance purposes, they must've realised it would be jewellery or the like, or am I being too sensible?

I've used FedEx for jewellery, and had to declare the value for them to calculate the cost of insured delivery, I've also had something delivered by them that they'd somehow managed to break in transit, and the sender claimed. AFAIK they paid up because I got a replacement.

OsGirl

Rough_Rock
Well, they helped me package it securely so they could see that it was jewelry. They did calculate amount I owed to insure based on the value that I wanted (I came up with $5000).

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If it was never picked up that is an internal issue there at the packing place. I would go in and see the Manager and point out who helped you with it and take any receipts you have. It seems your fight will be with the store and not UPS if it never made it into transit. Ask SIL for pictures to show the manager too. That will be helpful. Sending you great vibes that her jewelry can be found.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They probably have video from when it never made it to pick up. UPS probably picks it up at the store. I would bust the thief!

metro

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. I think this might be an internal theft at Staples. I think you really need to talk with the manager or regional manager. If you have your mailing receipt, it might have the name of the person who helped you with your package. At the very least, the manager can see who was working that day and narrow done the folks who came in contact with your package. I would bet this wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened within that store, and I would press the issue firmly, but courteously with the manger. Good luck to you!

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid that you lost huge amount of money shipping with UPS. First, if they cover anything they will pay you only $1000, because this is their top amount of coverage for jewelry according their Terms and Conditions. Don't think that if they ask you for document that prove your declare value of the article that this means they will pay you something! Regardless your declare value if it's jewelry they cover up to $1000. But UPS can also pay you nothing, because Staples is their franchiser, not their UPS property. UPS could ask you to present a signature from their UPS driver or signature from the UPS center (as they ask ME for such signature in a similar to your story situation). I'm telling you this because I have very sore and bad experience with UPS and a huge loss of money, being unknowable and uninformed to ship jewelry with this company!
Never ever ship jewelry with UPS!
I also would advice you to file a police report and let the police investigate this case! Do not relay on the UPS insurance, as I told you, they will not pay you, or if they pay, the amount will be no more than $1000.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would your sister have receipts or photos of any of the jewelry pieces? That would be a start.

But for you in the future and those reading this post, here are some suggestions on shipping jewelry for an individual:
1) The safest way to send jewelry is by USPS Registered Mail insured. That is the most secure method and it would be extremely rare for there to be a loss. You receive a receipt and a postal worker is not going to risk losing their job (and going to jail) to steal your package. The item is locked at each point in its travels, and every hand that touches the package has to sign their name. It can take a week or even two or more to arrive, so you can't do this at the last minute if there is a time deadline. But it is safe. You'd also have to have proof of the value of the items to make a claim if there was a loss.
2) Never reveal what is in a package you are sending.
3) Never allow the people at the shipping location see what you are sending.
4) Never send valuables at a location such as UPS store, Staples, etc. If you did use FedEx or UPS, it needs to be one of their actual staffed locations, but we have been told they really do not cover loss of jewelry for individuals, or else the limit is really low. Maybe it is $5k if they are telling you they'll cover it. It's been awhile since I have checked.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"a. No service shall be rendered in the transportation of articles of unusual value. Articles having a value or declared value of more than $50,000 (U.S.) - $500 (U.S.) for packages containing jewelry - will not be accepted for transportation. The maximum liability assumed by UPS shall not exceed $100 (U.S.) regardless of the declaration of value in excess of $100 (U.S), provided that the shipper complies with the terms and conditions of the services hereby established. The maximum liability per package assumed by the applicable insurance company shall not exceed $50,000 (U.S.) - $500 (U.S.) for packages containing jewelry - regardless of the value in excess of the maximum, except for packages containing jewelry, in which case the maximum value or declared value per package is $500 (U.S.) per package and the maximum carrier liability per package is $500 (U.S.)."

https://www.ups.com/content/pr/en/resources/service/terms/ground.html

marksbcss

Rough_Rock
4) Never send valuables at a location such as UPS store, Staples, etc. If you did use FedEx or UPS, it needs to be one of their actual staffed locations, but we have been told they really do not cover loss of jewelry for individuals, or else the limit is really low. Maybe it is $5k if they are telling you they'll cover it. It's been awhile since I have checked.

I second DS' advice. I recently bought some earring jackets from BGD. Only $200, but they would only ship them FEDEX, to an actual FEDEX staffed location, not a franchisee. It was a slight hassle, driving an extra 30 minutes... But nothing like the hassle of making and following up on a lost shipment claim.

fruxo

Shiny_Rock
If it was never picked up that is an internal issue there at the packing place. I would go in and see the Manager and point out who helped you with it and take any receipts you have. It seems your fight will be with the store and not UPS if it never made it into transit.

Although likely internal issue, I'd be careful throwing too many accusations around. It could just be that ups forgot to scan when they picked up package. That's happened to me (not ups).

Basically I was given tracking number, but after being stuck on "shipment information received" or something for a week, I called store. They said it had been shipped. I called shipping company and that were firm that they had definitely not picked up package and that it's still with the store.

After a few more calls and a few days later, the store re-sends the product to me as it was "lost in mail". The day after, the first shipment arrives at doorstep. Despite what shipping company claimed, they had clearly picked it up.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPS damaged artwork I had mailed. Dad mailed it and didn't insure it but their policy will insure it auto for 100$-which is what it will cost to repair the matting. Basically they have screwed me out of the claim saying it wasn't packaged 'properly' even though I sent them a quote to get it repaired, they picked up the damaged artwork from the person who got it, and pics show that it basically was sat on and bent.

I'm so sorry. I thought UPS was a safe bet too. I now insure everything though upic. Its a third party company but they actually dont insure private items, just things you've bought/sold/have an invoice for. The way around this is by making a paypal invoice, marking it paid as cash to the person you are shipping the item to (in your case, your sisters own property).
Nothing can replace her grandmas ring. I've been dealing with UPS for a MONTH and everything you submit needs to be on 'company letterhead' which not many people use anymore so I highly suggest dealing with the appraiser. Does she have pics I hope?

Hugs!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"a. No service shall be rendered in the transportation of articles of unusual value. Articles having a value or declared value of more than $50,000 (U.S.) - $500 (U.S.) for packages containing jewelry - will not be accepted for transportation. The maximum liability assumed by UPS shall not exceed $100 (U.S.) regardless of the declaration of value in excess of $100 (U.S), provided that the shipper complies with the terms and conditions of the services hereby established. The maximum liability per package assumed by the applicable insurance company shall not exceed $50,000 (U.S.) - $500 (U.S.) for packages containing jewelry - regardless of the value in excess of the maximum, except for packages containing jewelry, in which case the maximum value or declared value per package is $500 (U.S.) per package and the maximum carrier liability per package is $500 (U.S.)."

This appears to say that the max jewelry coverage is $500 if I am reading it correctly. I don't understand why they took her money for $5k of insurance. We have been told here for years not to send jewelry by Fed Ex or UPS due to limited coverage. Vendors have private insurance that allows them to ship with them.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, plus like you said, I think this is Staples's problem. I think once the claim is submitted, the problems are going to come out.....

OP, I hope this goes easy for you

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This appears to say that the max jewelry coverage is $500 if I am reading it correctly. I don't understand why they took her money for $5k of insurance. We have been told here for years not to send jewelry by Fed Ex or UPS due to limited coverage. Vendors have private insurance that allows them to ship with them.
At my local Staples stores, DS, the Staples employees who handle the customers wishing to do drop-off shipping are primarily responsible for taking care of all the in-house print jobs; I imagine they don't receive a lot of training-get tested on their knowledge of the ins and outs of UPS policies.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, Molly, and definitely the best reason to only use FedEx and UPS locations...except not for jewelry!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some good news.
1.gif
I finally realized tonight that the quotation and link whitewave provided here:
is from a page re UPS's ground delivery services in Puerto Rico.

So I waded through UPS's April 2017 Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States:
https://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf
and am happy to say there is nothing like the PR ground shipping exclusion in that 33-page document. The only gem-jewelry exclusion/limitation, relevant to non-international shipping, pertains to "unset precious stones, and industrial diamonds" (page 6, first column under Items Not Accepted header).

But... on page 5, you'll see that Staples expressly falls within their definition of Third-Party Retailer. From page 15:
For any Package shipped by the Third-Party Retailer with a declared value in excess of $1,000, the Third-Party Retailer must provide a copy of the high value control log to UPS at the time of tender of the Package
["time of tender" meaning when the Staples employee gives the packages to the UPS driver making the pick-up]​
Based on my 'net surfing tonight, it seems the "high value control log" page for the ring package would have been automatically generated by the computer at the Staples counter once that $5000 declared value was entered, and you paid for the shipping with the additional charge.
Years ago, high value UPS packages were marked with a strip of red tape, but someone eventually realized that this was a virtual Steal Me invitation, so UPS discontinued that practice. High value packages apparently don't get the same level of attentive safekeeping as they move through the UPS system as the US Postal Service gives to Registered Mail, but in addition to the logs (which are supposed to be signed), there are reportedly metal cages at the UPS depot centers where high value packages are supposed to be stored when they come off the truck, before the packages go on their way. And high value packages automatically require the recipient's signature; shouldn't be, e.g., left on the doorstep.​
And it looks to me that the most anyone can expect -- regardless of the value declared -- is $1000 if the Third-Party Retailer failed to provide the UPS employee with the high value control log (see 1st full paragraph in left-hand column on p. 31).

I'm still holding out hope that the ring will soon resurface safe and sound, so you don't have to deal with any of this any longer! :pray:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything crossed that it turns up safely.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some good news.
1.gif
I finally realized tonight that the quotation and link whitewave provided here:

is from a page re UPS's ground delivery services in Puerto Rico.

So I waded through UPS's April 2017 Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States:
https://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf
and am happy to say there is nothing like the PR ground shipping exclusion in that 33-page document. The only gem-jewelry exclusion/limitation, relevant to non-international shipping, pertains to "unset precious stones, and industrial diamonds" (page 6, first column under Items Not Accepted header).

But... on page 5, you'll see that Staples expressly falls within their definition of Third-Party Retailer. From page 15:
For any Package shipped by the Third-Party Retailer with a declared value in excess of $1,000, the Third-Party Retailer must provide a copy of the high value control log to UPS at the time of tender of the Package
["time of tender" meaning when the Staples employee gives the packages to the UPS driver making the pick-up]​
Based on my 'net surfing tonight, it seems the "high value control log" page for the ring package would have been automatically generated by the computer at the Staples counter once that $5000 declared value was entered, and you paid for the shipping with the additional charge.
Years ago, high value UPS packages were marked with a strip of red tape, but someone eventually realized that this was a virtual Steal Me invitation, so UPS discontinued that practice. High value packages apparently don't get the same level of attentive safekeeping as they move through the UPS system as the US Postal Service gives to Registered Mail, but in addition to the logs (which are supposed to be signed), there are reportedly metal cages at the UPS depot centers where high value packages are supposed to be stored when they come off the truck, before the packages go on their way. And high value packages automatically require the recipient's signature; shouldn't be, e.g., left on the doorstep.​
And it looks to me that the most anyone can expect -- regardless of the value declared -- is $1000 if the Third-Party Retailer failed to provide the UPS employee with the high value control log (see 1st full paragraph in left-hand column on p. 31).

I'm still holding out hope that the ring will soon resurface safe and sound, so you don't have to deal with any of this any longer! :pray:

Oops, sorry about that!!

TrueBlue

Rough_Rock

But as Staples took the $$ for the insurance, I'd argue they should be on the hook for the additional $4k of coverage. Arguably they were negligent in holding themselves out as able to insure the jewelry to that value, and the OP wouldn't have used them had they told her the max coverage was $1k, not the $5k she needed and requested.

I would start dealing with Staples' regional management, who should be asked to provide proof that they handed over the package to UPS, or be prepared to pay the $4k (in addition to the $1k from UPS; or the full $5k from Staples, if UPS get funny about not having received the package at all). Perhaps that might just shake it loose?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is interesting that they now apparently cover jewelry, but I'd never send through a third party retailer that has part-time hourly employees taking those packages. I looked at the document Molly referenced and it does say this claim needs to be pursued through Staples and not UPS.

"Third-Party Retailer The UPS Store® locations are independently owned and operated by licensed franchisees of The UPS Store, Inc., a subsidiary of United Parcel Service, Inc., and are not agents of UPS. Other ThirdParty Retailers are independently owned and operated businesses and are not agents of UPS. UPS assumes no liability other than to the Third-Party Retailer as the Shipper of the Package, for lost, damaged or delayed Packages sent by the Third-Party Retailer. Any such liability to the Third-Party Retailer is subject to the limitations set forth in the Terms. All inquiries regarding Packages shipped by any Third-Party Retailer must be directed to the Third-Party Retailer that shipped the Package. UPS will deal solely with the Third-Party Retailer in all matters concerning Packages shipped by any Third-Party Retailer including, but not limited to: tracking/tracing requests; claims and guarantees; C.O.D. preparation and remittance; return of undeliverable Packages; proper packaging and labeling; and billing. Even if UPS responds directly to customers of the Third-Party Retailer regarding tracking requests, UPS will not be liable to those customers. The Third-Party Retailer is solely responsible for the issuance of any refunds and claims to those who shipped Packages by the Third-Party Retailer. For any Package shipped by the ThirdParty Retailer with a declared value in excess of $1,000, the Third-Party Retailer must provide a copy of the highvalue control log to UPS at the time of tender of the Package. The Third-Party Retailer shall not ship any articles which UPS does not accept for transportation. The Third-Party Retailer shall indemnify and hold harmless UPS in any action against UPS arising from the loss, damage, or delay of a Package shipped by the Third-Party Retailer."

What exactly is on your receipt from Staples? Does it state the insurance amount?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know this is not helpful but I absolutely hate dealing with UPS and will always try to avoid it. Occasionally I am forced to receive parcels through them when they are the only shipper a seller will use. I get much better service from FedEx (both sending and receiving). FYI, whenever I ship with FedEx, they want the package contents disclosed, and if jewelry, they will only insure up to a certain amount.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know this is not helpful but I absolutely hate dealing with UPS and will always try to avoid it. Occasionally I am forced to receive parcels through them when they are the only shipper a seller will use. I get much better service from FedEx (both sending and receiving). FYI, whenever I ship with FedEx, they want the package contents disclosed, and if jewelry, they will only insure up to a certain amount.

Just a note. I realize this does not apply to this instance, but if you should ever be sending an item to a jeweler who has secondary insurance for shipping with UPS and FedEx, I strongly advise contacting the jeweler to ask for a shipping label with insurance. Doing so uses the jeweler's insurance to cover your items, and we seem to have few problems with the shipments. (And definitely MUCH quicker than registered mail.) Our coverages are also MUCH higher than you can get since we are using supplemental insurance to protect our packages.

Your jeweler will also assist you in knowing which locations are the locations staffed by UPS or FedEx employees. For Example, the Kinko's and FedEx Office locations are staffed by FedEx employees who do know the rules. The jeweler can invoice you for the shipping and your worries will be much less.

By the way, if you are doing Hold for Pickup, always ask your jeweler to find a FedEx or UPS staffed location. They will know to only allow YOU to sign for your package. If an employee of the pickup location should sign for the package, then the insurance from the sender's policy is cancelled at that moment.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results