First Choice
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06302299
1.32/G/VS1/Excellent/Thin to Medium/$12,428
Second Choice
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06302302
1.33/H/VVS2/Excellent/Medium to Medium/$11,191

James Allen
First Choice
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.28-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-645113
1.28/H/VVS2/TrueHearts/Thin to Medium/$9,560
Second Choice
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.26-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-359453
1.26/F/VS1/Excellent/Medium to Slightly Thick/$12,600
Third Choice
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.31-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-767862
1.31/G/VS1/Excellent/Medium to Slightly Thick/$10,630

I am a very newbie. So far I spent so much time on researching online and B&M (Jared, BB Robings, Benbridge, Tiffany etc). I am at the point of making decision now and asking for any expert's help. Any advice would be very helpful.
Currently I am mainly looking for Engagement ring that gives most sparkle. Size is somewhere between 1.26 - 1.4 Carats. Budget would be 10K-13K for diamond. Less would be better but reasonable I know it will be around 10K. for the CUT/Color/Clarity/Size. For James Allen I did ask ASET image for secnd and third choice; however, they told me they dont give out until end of this year :wall:

Important Questions
What would be your advice out of these 5? If none of them are reasonable, then do you have any advice? Any B & M places were I would say charging me around 30-35% more (including 10% tax)[I live seattle area].
I am sure Blue Nile and James Allen are reputable store, but do you prefer one vs another? APR is not an issue since I will just pay from my bank account or credit card.

MISC. Questions (less Important)
Once you buy a ring from Online, then do you usually run some sort of lab test again to be sure?
Any local shops will clean for fee is it crazy expensive?
Once it gets cleaned, then do you check the Inscription or etc to make sure it was your diamond? (sorry I might be worry too much here)
For sizing - do most shops will resize just in case on regular bases if my GF get pregnent or get heavier down the road :oops:

It is my first post so please be nice. Happy Thanksgiving everyone~

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Please Help to select / Minimize from 5 choices. Engagem

I would consider VS2 clarity, personally. You are paying a lot of clarity. I can't get the BN links to work for me. The JA stones are nice.

MISC. Questions (less Important)
Once you buy a ring from Online, then do you usually run some sort of lab test again to be sure?
Any local shops will clean for fee is it crazy expensive?
Once it gets cleaned, then do you check the Inscription or etc to make sure it was your diamond? (sorry I might be worry too much here)
For sizing - do most shops will resize just in case on regular bases if my GF get pregnent or get heavier down the road :oops:

1. You get the ring appraised. We can help you find a reputable local appraiser.
2. Cleaning and prong/stone checks are free (at Tiffany, they will only do so for Tiffany rings) at most jewelers regardless of where you bought it. My husband bought my ring in DE. We lived in NJ. We moved to CA. I can get my ring cleaned and checked for free every day of the week. DO NOT PAY FOR THIS.
3. Not really. Cleaning takes about 5 minutes. They can't set and unset my stone in that time. And I only use reputable jewelers. A reputable jeweler isn't going to risk his livelihood over a 10k stone. You can ask for a loupe after they clean it and check it out yourself if it bothers you. If you have a VS2 or SI1 stone you should be able to tell immediately with a loupe as your inclusions are like birthmarks and you don't even need your inscription.
4. Sizing depends on the style of ring you get. Some are very easily sized (solitaires), others are much harder to size. MOST rings can be sized one size. While your lady is pregnant if her fingers swell, she's probably best off waiting for a while after she gives birth to see if her rings size goes back to normal.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

tota1ecl1pse

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1448525107|3954345 said:

thank you. Let me take look at them.. for BN Links, it seems you have to copy and Paste the LINK.. simple click doesn't work for some reason.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP, you mentioned sparkle. Whiteflash = BEST sparkle

Gypsy would you agree?

Of the three mentioned, I would go with Whiteflash.

tota1ecl1pse

Rough_Rock

LLJsmom|1448552536|3954427 said:
OP, you mentioned sparkle. Whiteflash = BEST sparkle

Gypsy would you agree?

Of the three mentioned, I would go with Whiteflash.

First Choice
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.28-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-645113
1.28/H/VVS2/TrueHearts/Thin to Medium/$9,560

Wouldn't this be best bang for a buck? Unless I am missing something against 2 diamonds from Whiteflash? Do you see something that holds you back against 2 diamond linked from whiteflash other than size? I assume JM probably sparkle more? I am pretty sure F,G,H I would not able to tell color difference unless I put them together next to each other?
I used PriceScope tool and everything was excellent including Spread (sorry not sure what it is... this diamond was the only one with 4 excellent in all category...)
Total Visual Performance 0.7 - Excellent
within TIC range

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

No you are right. I do like that stone. It's a very good value and has a great Idealscope.

Plus JA has 25% off their settings.

How are you going to set it?

tota1ecl1pse

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1448607738|3954602 said:
No you are right. I do like that stone. It's a very good value and has a great Idealscope.

Plus JA has 25% off their settings.

How are you going to set it?

T.T it's sold out by someone else I guess. guess I should make decision from your suggestion.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3508601.htm
I am leaning toward this one now. and setting wise.. Probably something simple but Tiffany style I think?? Personally, I think she would like something simple vs having 'HALO' around it. I heard Halo thing is coming back but... try to keep it somewhat simple. What do you think Gypsy?

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-734.htm
Thinking this one for the band. Platinum. I wonder if they match % off against James Allen... but guess will wait till tomorrow if there is any sort of sale~

tota1ecl1pse

Rough_Rock

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/swan-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-272.htm#divReviews

This one also look very nice to me as band. What to you think vs Tiffany Style? Not to much Halo thing around but enough to give little more accent? I am not sure since the back-side(Back Side of diamond where your finger skin actually touch), it seems slightly pointing? I wonder if it is comfortable?? not scratch?
Platinum Vatche 191 Swan Solitaire Engagement Ring

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Does,she have a.pinterest board.? If so link here. Let's see.what she.likes.

tota1ecl1pse

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1448620109|3954619 said:

She doesn't use much web. she doesn't even use Facebook at all hahaha. I can tell you she is Asian and age around 30 :). I know it doesn't help much.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

tota1ecl1pse|1448647685|3954699 said:

She doesn't use much web. she doesn't even use Facebook at all hahaha. I can tell you she is Asian and age around 30 :). I know it doesn't help much.

ROFLMAO.

No, you are right it doesn't help that much. But I have something that might. Can you answer the below:

1. What is your budget for a setting?
2. How old are you guys?
3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.
4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grundge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes? Anthropologie? Does she like a lot of brand name clothing?
5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones
6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather? Does she buy mostly new or preowned pieces?
7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?
8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige) or are there a lot of colors in there? Blue, purple, red?
8a. Are they branded handbags? Does she wear a lot of Coach? Or Louis Vitton? Or some other brand of handbag?
9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).
10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?
11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her? Does she buy retail (Neiman's, Saks, or does she buy from TJ Maxx and Outlets, mostly?)
12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.
13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)? Or has she expressed a dislike for any styles?
14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?

tota1ecl1pse

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1448658143|3954740 said:
tota1ecl1pse|1448647685|3954699 said:

ROFLMAO.

No, you are right it doesn't help that much. But I have something that might. Can you answer the below:

1. What is your budget for a setting?
1000-2500 I don't think she would wear wedding band... but for wedding purpose we will probably buy something so I rather spend little more extra on actual setting.
2. How old are you guys?
Early 30s
3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.
She probably would not work. If she does, I would say probably somewhere alone the line of running a coffee shop. so she might do some barista work here and there.
4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grundge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes? Anthropologie? Does she like a lot of brand name clothing?
She would be like... dress up to be some what classy~ I would say average she does wear jeans/t-shirt but when we go out she usually wears some sort of dress and coat on top. She does love to wear leather jacket though lol. first I thought she was a biker hahaha when I saw her.
5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones
White medal for sure. I am very positive platinum is what she prefers~
6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather? Does she buy mostly new or preowned pieces?
No Antique. I would say she is def more modern and simple. She usually buy mostly New.

7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?
Not Clumsy... I don't think she would bang her hand often.
8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige) or are there a lot of colors in there? Blue, purple, red?
Bags - usually dark color. Brown/Black. I don't think she owns any beige..
8a. Are they branded handbags? Does she wear a lot of Coach? Or Louis Vitton? Or some other brand of handbag?
I would say she owns few Coach. I have not seen with her with LV or Prada Bag. She is def. into her high Hills but not luxury ones.
9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).
Seattle, WA.
10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?
No Pet. NOt planning for few years :) If we do get a pet, then it would be dog though haha.
11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her? Does she buy retail (Neiman's, Saks, or does she buy from TJ Maxx and Outlets, mostly?)
I don't think she go after any branding. I have seen her buy stuff from thrift store/norstrom reck/TJ Maxx etc.
12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.
She is Funny and very thoughtful person. She is def. not a wild type but appreciate small thing around her that created by Jesus (yes she is very christian). She do not work out on daily bases;however, I believe she spends more time on reading books and enjoy new coffee whenever possible. She does love to wear high hills to make her more sexy? lol
13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)? Or has she expressed a dislike for any styles?
No Heart or Emerald or Princess... She did say I want ROUND. Def. not Three Stone. Halo I feel like it's too much. sine she usually love simple design with slight accent I would say stick with leaning toward solitaire is probbably right. little diamonds around here and there might be ok too but not too crazy.
14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?
She never wear rings.. so it will be her one of the first RING lol. She usually wear studs earring. I only seen few times something hangs on her ear. I think she had star shape neckless but no bling. it's was just simple silver neckless.

here are my replies :) Thank you so much for spending time and looking into few options Gypsy~ :love:

tota1ecl1pse

Rough_Rock

I thought this one might be too much... so it lose center diamond attention? not sure.. Maybe get tiffany style without dyamind for setting and get just wedding ring on this kind maybe? I am not sure if it will fit well or not instead of making a gab between setting and Ring.
Platinum "Knife-Edge Pave" Diamond Engagement Ring & Wedding Ring
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/wedding-sets/knife-edge-pave-diamond-wedding-set-1502.htm

V.S
Platinum "Knife-Edge" Solitaire Engagement Ring and Wedding Ring
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/wedding-sets/classic-tiffany-styl-knife-edge-solitaire-wedding-set-1726.htm

What do you think Gypsy? I was thinking to get a seperate Wedding Ring; however, it seems the setting look some what oval? and bottom is get's slightly thinner.. so not sure if I can buy separate wedding ring easy...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay. That was great. I think you are absolutely right to be looking at platinum solitaires. Sounds like she likes a slightly edgier modern aesthetic than a traditional one in terms of personal style. And I don't see her wanting a Tiffany knock off style.

I think you should let her pick her own wedding band when it is time. It will give her a chance to customize her look. So I would stick with just the engagement ring. That way she can decide if she wants a diamond band, or a plain one or something else to complete her set.

I think this one sounds like a nice fit for her:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/comfort-fit-surprise-diamond-ring-183.htm It's an elegant and sleek solitaire. Modern. Will allow her to wear just about any wedding next to it, and is much more comfortable than a knife edge. Plus it's not a Tiffany knock off. It's its own style. This one is my first choice recommendation.

Alternately, this one:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-729.htm I don't love it as much as the other for her, from your description, though.

Make sure you put the stone you want on hold ASAP.

tota1ecl1pse

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1448675506|3954822 said:
Okay. That was great. I think you are absolutely right to be looking at platinum solitaires. Sounds like she likes a slightly edgier modern aesthetic than a traditional one in terms of personal style. And I don't see her wanting a Tiffany knock off style.

I think you should let her pick her own wedding band when it is time. It will give her a chance to customize her look. So I would stick with just the engagement ring. That way she can decide if she wants a diamond band, or a plain one or something else to complete her set.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/comfort-fit-surprise-diamond-ring-183.htm It's an elegant and sleek solitaire. Modern. Will allow her to wear just about any wedding next to it, and is much more comfortable than a knife edge. Plus it's not a Tiffany knock off. It's its own style. This one is my first choice recommendation.

Alternately, this one:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-729.htm I don't love it as much as the other for her, from your description, though.

Make sure you put the stone you want on hold ASAP.

Thank you Gypsy. I decided to go ahead with this one. I think you are right. It should be comfortable and stylish. Not a copy of some sort. I am not an expert but sounds like comfor-fit probably more comfortable than Knife edge? lol. We will see. So everything should be good now. I might ask you / write on forum to ask MISC questions soon + update once I receive the ring~

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results