shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help to see if this is a good lab diamond

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been looking for a diamond for ering. Lab diamond is the only thing that can make it happen with a tight budget. I came across this diamond and thought it looks stunning. What do you think about it? Do you think it has the grey blue ish tone? It seems like the range of lab diamond can vary a lot. This one is a significant more expensive than the other CVD ones that the cert states may have had post grown treated. Does having post grown treatment matter? I am asking because those ones are much cheaper and I am trying hard to bring the cost down due to financial reasons.

This diamond is at least H color and VS2

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• E59B9051-457C-4133-B96D-902A6DB67B42.jpeg
    E59B9051-457C-4133-B96D-902A6DB67B42.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 21
  • C35E7ED8-276B-4E9D-8684-8B6BDA2C4E6D.jpeg
    C35E7ED8-276B-4E9D-8684-8B6BDA2C4E6D.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 18
  • A64D81B9-DA40-4234-93CA-671FE78C3816.jpeg
    A64D81B9-DA40-4234-93CA-671FE78C3816.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 18

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with a vendor who thoroughly vets CVD stones for you, it's possible to find a good one, but otherwise I'd stick to stones without post-growth treatment. I don't think I see blue nuance in the video, but the proportions of this stone may lead to a more obstruction than what you'd want to see in an e-ring.

We could help you search if you provide your budget and desired specs.

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Thank you Kim! Do you think the stone above is look greyish? I thought this stone was good since the picture looks good and the hca score was low. Do you mind telling me know why you think the proportions may lead to obstructions?

I was hoping to get 2.5 - 3 carat at around $5,000-$6,000. I am not sensitive to color and okay as long as eye clean. Thank you!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Kim! Do you think the stone above is look greyish? I thought this stone was good since the picture looks good and the hca score was low. Do you mind telling me know why you think the proportions may lead to obstructions?

I was hoping to get 2.5 - 3 carat at around $5,000-$6,000. I am not sensitive to color and okay as long as eye clean. Thank you!!

No, I don't believe I see any greyish tone. The crown and pavilion angles are both just a bit on the shallow side, but it may still be worth bringing the stone home to view in person. I did a quick search and couldn't find any other HPHT stones within budget.

If you're willing to compromise on the size, the cut doesn't get any better than this, and it's well under budget.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @Kim N that it doesn't appear gray/gray-blue.

The back ground seems to give a bit of an optical illusion effect, but I think I'm seeing some yellowish tinting out towards the edges of the girdle and crown indicative of a Type IIa diamond. If the jeweler has this one on-hand, then have them place it face-down (pavilion up) in a white viewing/grading tray to confirm if there's any gray, steely-blue, or light blue tint

Screenshot_20220209-065139.png

Screenshot_20220209-065106.png

Last edited:

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
No, I don't believe I see any greyish tone. The crown and pavilion angles are both just a bit on the shallow side, but it may still be worth bringing the stone home to view in person. I did a quick search and couldn't find any other HPHT stones within budget.

If you're willing to compromise on the size, the cut doesn't get any better than this, and it's well under budget.

Got it. Do you think having the vendor to send me the ASET/IS of the stone I posted would be helpful?

And the 2 carat stone you sent is stunning!! Thank you so much! For a second I thought it was a sample picture :razz: I noticed there are a lot of options within the price range but they seem to be treated after being grown :/

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
I agree with @Kim N that it doesn't appear gray/gray-blue.

The back ground seems to give a bit of an optical illusion effect, but I think I'm seeing some yellowish tinting out towards the edges of the girdle and crown indicative of a Type IIa diamond. If the jeweler has this one on-hand, then have them place it face-down (pavilion up) in a white viewing/grading tray to confirm if there's any gray, steely-blue, or light blue tint

Screenshot_20220209-065139.png

Screenshot_20220209-065106.png

That's some good tips. I will ask the vendor and revert back! A side question, is HTPT usually more expensive than CVD diamond? Thank you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That's some good tips. I will ask the vendor and revert back! A side question, is HTPT usually more expensive than CVD diamond? Thank you!

HPHT *can* be a little more expensive, but there's way less risk over most diamonds cut from CVD rough, in my opinion.

CVD can be perfectly fine, but I highly recommend that you buy from a knowledgeable jeweler that will properly vet them to rule out common problems associated with the CVD growth method.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got it. Do you think having the vendor to send me the ASET/IS of the stone I posted would be helpful?

And the 2 carat stone you sent is stunning!! Thank you so much! For a second I thought it was a sample picture :razz: I noticed there are a lot of options within the price range but they seem to be treated after being grown :/

Yes, definitely ask for an ASET/IS of that stone. And I agree that there aren't many options without post-growth treatment.

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Hi @Kim N @DejaWiz , thanks for helping me. I just got the ASET/IS/GemEx pictures from the Vendor.. it seems like here are quite some leakage (green on the ASET picture/the light pink in the center of the IS image). What do you think?
IdealScope-01.jpg Officelight black-01.jpg ASET black (Fancy)-01.jpg GemEx-01.png
SCANOX HD-01.png
ASET white-01.jpg

Last edited:

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
The GemEx is only showing very good for brillance, do you think it matters? The price is on the higher side but still within the range I can accept. I would have to say I was a bit let down when I saw the images as I was comparing it to the old diamond (see below) I have at the moment. It seems like the old diamond preforms better. Will I be able to tell the difference with naked eyes?
OLD DIAMOND.png OLD DIAMOND ASET 2.png OLD DIAMOND ASET.png OLD DIAMOND IS.png

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
The GemEx is only showing very good for brillance, do you think it matters? The price is on the higher side but still within the range I can accept. I would have to say I was a bit let down when I saw the images as I was comparing it to the old diamond (see below) I have at the moment. It seems like the old diamond preforms better. Will I be able to tell the difference with naked eyes?

Simple answer - the old diamond is more microscope pretty. Will the eyes be able to see the difference? Maybe. Maybe not. I'd lean toward maybe not as the new one still has very nice scan results.

If you have a diamond that nice why are you looking to replace it?

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Kim N @DejaWiz , thanks for helping me. I just got the ASET/IS/GemEx pictures from the Vendor.. it seems like here are quite some leakage (green on the ASET picture/the light pink in the center of the IS image). What do you think?
IdealScope-01.jpg Officelight black-01.jpg ASET black (Fancy)-01.jpg GemEx-01.png
SCANOX HD-01.png
ASET white-01.jpg

Can you have the vendor double-check that the ASET and IS images correctly match this diamond? The arrows seem noticeably skinnier in the ASET and IS images compared to the photo in the OP and compared to the photos in the GemEx report.

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Simple answer - the old diamond is more microscope pretty. Will the eyes be able to see the difference? Maybe. Maybe not. I'd lean toward maybe not as the new one still has very nice scan results.

If you have a diamond that nice why are you looking to replace it?

Thank you! The old diamond was from the previous relationship so I no longer wore it. It is a 1.5 color K but it is stunning in person. The color doesn't bother me too too much but I do see tint from time to time. Now that my boyfriend and I are being serious about the future, I am looking to buy a new diamond. And since I have DSS I wanted to get a bigger one lol

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Can you have the vendor double-check that the ASET and IS images correctly match this diamond? The arrows seem noticeably skinnier in the ASET and IS images compared to the photo in the OP and compared to the photos in the GemEx report.

Thats a good call! I did expect fatter arrows. I emailed the vendor but they said that was the correct one. :???:

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I took a long break from finding a diamond due to personal issue. I saw a diamond online that looks nice but its a CVD with post growth treatment. What do you think? Is this one better or worse than to the last one? Diamond proportions and details are in the video below. Thank you!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I took a long break from finding a diamond due to personal issue. I saw a diamond online that looks nice but its a CVD with post growth treatment. What do you think? Is this one better or worse than to the last one? Diamond proportions and details are in the video below. Thank you!

That looks really nice. If the price is good then I don't see any reason not to recommend. It looks like it has the slightest hint of brownish tint, but that wouldn't rule a stone out for me if the price is right (I like that tint). It's cut well; not a perfect super-ideal, but FAR from a dud.

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
That looks really nice. If the price is good then I don't see any reason not to recommend. It looks like it has the slightest hint of brownish tint, but that wouldn't rule a stone out for me if the price is right (I like that tint). It's cut well; not a perfect super-ideal, but FAR from a dud.

Oh I thought it was the warmth of the color of the stone instead of a brownish tint! I didn’t know if it would be visible in naked eyes or if I am okay with that. :/ comparing to the one I posted above (the one with a 54 table 33.7 CA) which one do you think is better?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Oh I thought it was the warmth of the color of the stone instead of a brownish tint! I didn’t know if it would be visible in naked eyes or if I am okay with that. :/ comparing to the one I posted above (the one with a 54 table 33.7 CA) which one do you think is better?

What are the specs of this one?

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Hi @DejaWiz - please see pictures attached

Attachments

• EA1D54D7-46E3-40BC-8A11-49F6EF7F2BD9.jpeg
    EA1D54D7-46E3-40BC-8A11-49F6EF7F2BD9.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 19

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Specs are gorgeous...this would be one that I would put on the short list, if I were shopping.

Thank you! Do you see any common Cvd issues with this stone I.e. brown hue (mentioned by @muiscloveranthony), strain lines that cause them to look fuzzy/ cause birefringence?

Comparing this one with the HPHT one (54 table, 33.7 CA, and 40.5 PA). would you pick this Cvd one over the HPHT even the Cvd one has post growth treatment? The price are comparable for these two.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Do you see any common Cvd issues with this stone I.e. brown hue (mentioned by @muiscloveranthony), strain lines that cause them to look fuzzy/ cause birefringence?

Comparing this one with the HPHT one (54 table, 33.7 CA, and 40.5 PA). would you pick this Cvd one over the HPHT even the Cvd one has post growth treatment? The price are comparable for these two.

The proportions are more favorable for the CVD diamond in regards to what I, personally, like to see.
Assessing the CVD characteristics (other than hints of tint) is nearly impossible since the quality of the video isn't quite good enough to be able to see down to that level of detail.
If this diamond is on-hand with a jeweler that you are working with, then you may want to inquire about an assessment for stria, birefringence, haze/fuzz, etc. An ASET or Ideal-Scope certainly wouldn't be a bad thing, just so you have confirmation of optical performance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results