shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help to critique this diamond (Pink FCD)

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi I'm considering this gem as a potential center stone, please give your feedback. Between this one, and the one below, which would you prefer and why? Thanks for all your input!

This is a 0.53ct, and the other one I'm considering is below: a 0.44ct

0.53ct-FP-RD-VS2-Pic1.jpg

0.53ct-FP-RD-VS2-Pic2.jpg

.44.jpg

0.44 profile.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I like the .53ct stone because it looks more pink and less peach. The .44ct stone looks more saturated though.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
The .53ct

It's a truer pink, it's above the .5ct mark, it's cleaner and I think the cut is better.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Maybe it depends what you're going for, but I really, really like the first one better. It's a lovely soft shade of pink, while the other is peachy brown in comparison.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Even though its lighter, I like the first one better. Just not loving the color on the second one. And the first one is bigger which is always a plus!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard for me to decide here, so I'll just pull my skull off and let all my thoughts out.

I could not find the first one in Leibish's inventory.
Is it new and not yet listed, or is it another vendor?
Is it graded by GIA?
I'd love to see the report (and if it got a full or abbreviated report) and the price on the first one before deciding which I prefer.

The cut looks better on the first one.
Price and market-agreed-to desirability peaks at the Vivid grade and these are both on the uphill side of the curve.
The color strength of the second one is more saturated, which is usually thought of as better.

Size wise the half carat mark is very significant in the marketplace and adds a lot to its cost per carat, but as a customer that may make me prefer the 0.44.
I'd be getting more weight for my money and a round 0.44 PINK, even with hue modifiers, is still very rare and precious.
If this was meant to wear on my finger forever, so future resale value is not a consideration, I'd lean for an FCD just UNDER a carat milestone.

Clearly the first is a more pure pink, so it's hue is more in demand in the marketplace and the price will be higher.
In the second I detect some orange, salmon, peach, brown, apricot, sunset sky.
This is less in demand and lest costly, but if I like this hue better or equally or the price is so much lower that I see it as a better value, and I'm a type of person who is less concerned with what others think, then lucky me.
Personally, since this for a ring and not part of a complete rainbow collection I also prefer the more pure pink even though the color is not as strong.

The second having an Argyle inscription and GIA-graded VS1 clarity adds to it's resume, and perhaps will appreciate at a higher percentage after the Argyle mine runs dry.
Then again I believe that Argyle inscription increases the price that you are paying today, so maybe it's a wash.
Argyle, and FCD vendors, have been very successful at making everyone think ANY pink from that mine is inherently superior to an identical pink from any other mine. :roll:
(Yes, some hues are distinctively Argyle, but not every hue that gets the Argyle laser inscription.)
Getting VG Symmetry bumps it up since most FCDs are only Good.
BTW there are some fibers on the table in Leibish's two face up pics; those are not inclusions IMHO.

Based only on the info given I'd pick the first one, but that may change when I see the listing and price for it.
I assume the first is much more expensive but is within your budget, but if I discover it's twice the price of the second I may prefer the second.
To me value is a factor to consider.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all, you just confirmed how I felt about the two stones too. Great. I was hoping for the opposite (like, perhaps my eyes were wrong)

On paper, the second diamond is an excellent stone, probably better than the first:
Greater saturation (intense, the first one is fancy)
No modifiers (the first one has a purple modifier)
Better cut (VG on the second stone vs G for the first one)
It has an Argyle inscription (Both are GIA certified. The first one is older, but still full cert. No origin though)
It has better clarity (VS1 vs VS2 for the top stone)
Of course it is cheaper. Which is really important - I'm more than double my original colourless stone budget and vaporising a long of long time savings.

BUT

I'm not buying a cert. My eyes say the second one is less pretty. Sigh.

I really really like the first one. I mean the colour could be deeper, but my budget is already exceeded as it is. If it were more saturated, I just wouldn't be able to consider it.

No Kenny, it isn't twice as much. On a per carat basis, the two stones are quite close in price. Which makes the second one more expensive of course, as it is 0.53, not 0.44.

I'm thinking of a clean mount, almost like a traditional colourless diamond (at this point). So I wanted a nice pure pink colour as it would be alone, not encircled by halo diamonds. Initially I wanted a McTigue setting, but I never spoke to them, and I'm finding all excess budget vaporising insanely quickly and I can't imagine them to be cost efficient.

Where to find an organ dealer? :(

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
first one is fancy purplish pink i take it? and not an argyle stone right?

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
do you know the argyle grade of the 2nd stone? is it 6PR?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the first stone better myself.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Yes you're right, the first is a purplish pink, but the purple modifier in this case seems to just make it more 'true' pink - common in stones I see with less than intense saturation.

No, no Argyle grade of the second gem, but I would guess between 5-6PR.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
acebruin|1308710592|2951630 said:
first one is fancy purplish pink i take it? and not an argyle stone right?

It may be from Argyle but just didn't get the girdle laser inscription.
Many stones that come from Argyle do not get it.
Argyle yields zillions of browns, but none of them get inscriptions.

I have not been able to nail down exactly why some get the inscription and some don't.
In addition to the Argyle laser inscription, certain ones also get a certificate from Argyle with their Argyle color grade, such as 2PP.

I used to think it was above a certain weight or price or saturation threshold, or the FCDs they must be most proud of but I've seen too many exceptions, with and without the stamp and report.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
To play devil's advocate, I much prefer the second stone. IRL I think it will appear far more "fancy" than the first one - the color of the first, to me, looks like it might be fairly pale when set. But, as usual, that puts me solidly in the minority. :wacko:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
@ Kenny: I know... it is really weird. Leibish has 2 stones that look as though god himself sprinkled pepper into the stones, but they both have argyle certs and inscriptions. Both are very cheap - as far as pinks are concerned. Nicer ones which are argyle material and are gorgeous in colour and many times the price don't have them. And the Argyle colour isn't given for many as well.

@Justginger: FINALLY someone takes the stand for my bank account... I was worried you might be right, from the standpoint that like colourless D coloured diamonds they really need a counterpart higher in the colour scale to show that they are D. I was wondering if FCDs are the same. But I think that they are not... in sunlight I believe the top one will look like a soft pastel pink, while the second will still have a more intense peachy semi orangey colour.

Setting will be platinum - I want the colour to stand on its own, without reflecting warm notes from yellow gold.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
This is another picture from the vendor, in a white background box. If i get it, I hope the setting would show a true colour similar to this

Attachments

• 0.53 in box.bmp
    594.2 KB · Views: 803

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like this will be a keeper for you.
With me I'll buy and return an FCD if it's not right for me.
I've bought 18 and returned 6.

I've learned that connecting with a fancy colored diamond is quite personal, mysterious even.
For me it is impossible to be truly sure I want it until the stone is in front of me.
Sometimes it is instant love, but others took a little time to grow on me.

I was very very surprised when I saw trays and trays of FCDs in person in Vegas.
Many I had viewed online a zillion times.
Live is sooooooooooo different from pics when it comes to FCDs.
Not just the hue but the personality and light performance.
I carried in a Vivid Blue and traded it in on the spot for an Intense Blue.
This defies FCD logic, but I was sure it was the right thing to do.
FCDs are weird animals.

If the other vendor also has a money back guarantee and your credit/savings situation could swing it I'd buy both, spend a few days with them, and return one.
There is nothing like seeing both, in person, side by side.
Another possibility is buy only one, and immediately bring it to the other vendor's location to view them both side by side.

Another idea: Could one vendor ship it to the other vendor for side by side pics and videos?
Just a thought.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto Kenny. I was about to say the same thing. You might not notice the orangey shade as much irl. Reason I asked for argyle grade.

As we know colored diamonds are hard to photograph. So having both in front of you will do wonders! One will definitely stand out more than the other!

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Just for the record, I too prefer the intense one. I saw 2 argyle EC in Vegas. One was Fancy Pink and the other was Fancy Intense Purplish Pink. The difference in saturation was bar none!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Really good advice - I'm currently asking how to reserve the gem and actually thinking how to view them in person - a trip is in order I believe. Having them side by side will be critical to evaluate. Thanks.

What do you think of the gem in the box? I think with the white background it looks true to colour vs the prong pictures - but I have no experience with how they look set. Will it darken up? Platinum setting.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
do you prefer the more saturated color or do you prefer pastel color? it also depends on your taste... here, i'm attaching the difference between Fancy Pink and Fancy Intense Purplish Pink... my eyes just gravitate towards the Intense Purplish Pink naturally...

the stone should be darker when set... especially if you have pink cup under the stone...

jck2011_10.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind Fancy and Fancy Intense are ranges that are next door neighbors.

Nature gives us Fancy Pinks that fall all along the range from less to more saturated.
Same with the Fancy Intense range.
If you had enough stones to pick from it is possible to put the most-saturated Fancy Pink next to the least-saturated Fancy Intense Pink and you would see little difference.

Where they fall within each range is also factored into the price.

In the box at least I can detect no windowing.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
right, and at the other end of that extreme is a world of difference... just saying it's best to see both RB together... one will stand out between the two...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One is pink and the other is peach. Everything else aside, what color do you prefer? To me, the more pure pink would be more desirable because the presence of brown makes me think less valuable. Plus, I think the difference in size would be critical in a ring. Oh, is this for a man's ring or woman's ring? I might have different thoughts if I know this answer.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Its for a lady =) An extremely special one.

Men's ring with pink would be little ones in a channel set band methinks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, then, for an extremely special lady, I would definitely choose the .5 more pure pink one. And I'd make the head of the ring in rose gold and have a white diamond halo around it to accentuate the pink!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, but I'm very adverse to halos. Just don't like them personally. If I wanted just large bling, an E/F ideal cut would have been huge. I prefer very subtle and not showy. I believe a soft pink FCD would be just what the doctor ordered. Pity it is so so far out of my original budget - gonna be in the poorhouse for a while

Hope to find a really nice simple setting to bring it to life though.

Now just trying to arrange a face to face with the gem before money changes hands

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first in a simple, perfect, lovely rose gold solitaire!!!!!!!!!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Just when I thought I had narrowed it down, I did a final check of other vendor inventories and saw these:

http://www.langerman-diamonds.com/shop/diamond/1897/Pink-diamond-Pear-Shape-031-ct-polished_Diamond

http://www.langerman-diamonds.com/shop/diamond/1881/Pink-diamond-Round-025-ct-polished_Diamond

The colours made my mouth drop. but the size is very different although the pear comes in close in terms of size...

I don't love the shapes - but the round 0.53 in this colour on this site sold for like $78K, so yes, I think there is a premium for this colour.

What do you think of the two?

Honestly I like the pure pink a lot, but the intensity of these two were just amazing. Guess I need to see my two choices in real life.

T

talamasca

I know nothing about FCD's or gems for that matter, but I am in love with the first and not keen on the other 3 at all really.

The first is a beautiful soft pale pink that I think would look wonderful in a very plain setting with thin shoulders. Of course then it would be very much like the style of the engagement ring I've chosen so that's probably why I can picture it so clearly :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1308899332|2953830 said:
Just when I thought I had narrowed it down, I did a final check of other vendor inventories and saw these:

http://www.langerman-diamonds.com/shop/diamond/1897/Pink-diamond-Pear-Shape-031-ct-polished_Diamond

http://www.langerman-diamonds.com/shop/diamond/1881/Pink-diamond-Round-025-ct-polished_Diamond

The colours made my mouth drop. but the size is very different although the pear comes in close in terms of size...

I don't love the shapes - but the round 0.53 in this colour on this site sold for like $78K, so yes, I think there is a premium for this colour.

What do you think of the two?

Honestly I like the pure pink a lot, but the intensity of these two were just amazing. Guess I need to see my two choices in real life.

Another person who knows very little about FCDs (just know what my eyes like). I still like the very first one best (.53 I think).
Its a lovely color. The darker ones you posted here could be mistaken for a colored stone other than diamond (IMO).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results