shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help to choose between those two diamonds!!

Dancingbear

Rough_Rock
I have narrowed down my choices to two stones with GIA certificates:

the first diamond is J color, 0.90ct, SI1, triple excellent, HCA=1.7 (within TIC range) (the price is around $4,300), Table: 54%; Depth: 62.2%; Crown Angle: 35.0; Pavillion Angle: 40.8 Girdle: thin to medium; Culet: None

The second one is G color, 1.02ct, I1 (the inclusion is very minor for an I1 clarity), very good cut (Excellent for symmetry and polish), HCA = 0.8 (within FIC range) (price is $4,500), but it has medium blue fluorenscense. Table: 57%; Depth: 61%; Crown Angle: 36.0; Pavillion Angle: 40.0. Girdle: thin to slighted thick; Culet: None.

I really cannot decide which one to pick. The picture shows that the first one looks more eye-clean, but it is under 1 carat, and has a J color. However, the second one has minor inclusion which may or may not be completely covered by a prong, and I am also not sure whether the fluo will make the stone look milky. Any suggestion or opinion is much appreciated!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post the GIA report number, idealscope image if available.

Dancingbear

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

Idealscope image is not available. GIA number: 2131569698; 2131606920

Many thanks for the help!

Dancingbear

Rough_Rock
Here is more information on GIA certificate:

0.9 ct one: Table: 54%; Depth: 62.2%; Crown Angle: 35.0; Pavillion Angle: 40.8 Girdle: thin to medium; Culet: None
1.02 ct one: Table: 57%; Depth: 61%; Crown Angle: 36.0; Pavillion Angle: 40.0. Girdle: thin to slighted thick; Culet: None.

Thanks

Dancingbear

Rough_Rock

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Warning flags:

I would immediately toss the 1.02 because of the 40.0 pavilion angle. That basic pavilion/crown pairing will go dark when viewed close-up (this is an obstruction-issue; a shallow angle combo which darkens faster than other combos as the viewer's head comes closer, blocking the light). Even as a pendant stone, which would be viewed father away, it's only predicted to be AGS4 in performance. The I1 feathers also require in-person scrutiny to see what kind of issues they may cause in setting and future wear. FWIW the medium blue fluorescence would be a non-issue unless you exposed it to UV light in a dark place like a dance club - where it would just glow eerily at you.

The 0.90 has measurements I like. The 54% table is somewhat uncommon, and paired with a CA to give it a nice high crown. Those primary angles are reminiscent of traditional LK and T&Co preferences. Be warned that with the dossier report there is no way to know how significant the grade-setting cloud is. And since it's the only inclusion named I'd want it examined to see if it's one of those rare SI1s where a massive cloud interferes with the optics.

You can view the actual report PDFs by pulling up Report Check pages and selecting "Download Report." Nice feature - bravo GIA!

Dancingbear

Rough_Rock
John Pollard|1312483839|2984209 said:
Warning flags:

I would immediately toss the 1.02 because of the 40.0 pavilion angle. That basic pavilion/crown pairing will go dark when viewed close-up (this is an obstruction-issue; a shallow angle combo which darkens faster than other combos as the viewer's head comes closer, blocking the light). Even as a pendant stone, which would be viewed father away, it's only predicted to be AGS4 in performance. The I1 feathers also require in-person scrutiny to see what kind of issues they may cause in setting and future wear. FWIW the medium blue fluorescence would be a non-issue unless you exposed it to UV light in a dark place like a dance club - where it would just glow eerily at you.

The 0.90 has measurements I like. The 54% table is somewhat uncommon, and paired with a CA to give it a nice high crown. Those primary angles are reminiscent of traditional LK and T&Co preferences. Be warned that with the dossier report there is no way to know how significant the grade-setting cloud is. And since it's the only inclusion named I'd want it examined to see if it's one of those rare SI1s where a massive cloud interferes with the optics.

You can view the actual report PDFs by pulling up Report Check pages and selecting "Download Report." Nice feature - bravo GIA!

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! I have asked JA's expert to examin the 0.9 stone. Once they confirm it is eye clean, I will go with it! Thanks!

Dancingbear

Rough_Rock

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancingbear|1312576536|2985006 said:
farmer gal|1312546946|2984725 said:
I don't know what your max budget is but this one looks really nice. Call BGD for discount, I believe it is 5% off with wiring price for pricescope members.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104052029005

Thanks for the recommendation. However, I have already placed my order for the 0.9 ct diamond. I am looking forward to receiving the stone soon!

Good pick. An I1 stone with the grade making inclusion being a feather may be a durability issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results