shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help take a look, which would you pick?

EPdiamond

Rough_Rock
Loose diamond for engagement ring! We looked at both lab and natural diamonds a few years ago and the price difference between mined and lab wasn't as great. I am in the market now because the price of lab had definitely gone done, yet there is a concern that it will continue to go down. I would like some opinions on these two loose lab diamonds for an engagement ring, classic six prong in platinum. One is HPHT and the other CVD. There is $700 price difference, both under $3,000 (which is my budget for loose stone). Thank you for your expertise, really appreciate it!

1. Which would you choose?
2. Why are HPHT are priced lower than most CVD?
3. Any and all recommendations are welcome. Thanks again!

https://loupe360.com/diamond/lg587306342
https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=587306342

https://loupe360.com/diamond/lg583331950
https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=583331950

D

Deleted member 161102

I am nowhere near an expert, but I think both have a slight blue nuance. Not sure if that bothers you or not. I’d wait until someone more experienced chimes in though.

Both seem to have good angles and proportions.

As for the HpHT vs CVD price, it’s actually usually the opposite. CVD is usually cheaper as it’s a faster growth process.

If you have the time you can order both and return the one you don’t like. Hit them with an ASET scope while you have them too, and ensure the light return is good.

Edit: If I had to pick one I would choose the first one(2.93). It’s HPHT, and it has the HA designation(tiny bit of assurance). The angles are better. The size difference is negligible on the larger stone. You are paying a premium for that number that is slightly higher than three that you won’t even notice. Also the angles and proportions on the second one are a little closer to the limit, and due to rounding, it could possibly fall outside of those “ideal” ranges.

Last edited by a moderator:

EPdiamond

Rough_Rock
I am nowhere near an expert, but I think both have a slight blue nuance. Not sure if that bothers you or not. I’d wait until someone more experienced chimes in though.

Both seem to have good angles and proportions.

As for the HpHT vs CVD price, it’s actually usually the opposite. CVD is usually cheaper as it’s a faster growth process.

If you have the time you can order both and return the one you don’t like. Hit them with an ASET scope while you have them too, and ensure the light return is good.

Edit: If I had to pick one I would choose the first one(2.93). It’s HPHT, and it has the HA designation(tiny bit of assurance). The angles are better. The size difference is negligible on the larger stone. You are paying a premium for that number that is slightly higher than three that you won’t even notice. Also the angles and proportions on the second one are a little closer to the limit, and due to rounding, it could possibly fall outside of those “ideal” ranges.

Thank you for responding. I don't have an ASET scope. Is it worth getting? I read that HPHT was the more expensive method due to it being more time consuming, requiring larger equipment and energy. But I have noticed that CVD listed higher than HTHP on Ritani, Dreamstone, Loosegrowndiamond, and many other sites.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one definitely looks like it has blue nuance to me*. Cant tell with the second one.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have videos? The links just take me to the cert

D

Deleted member 161102

Do you have videos? The links just take me to the cert

The upper links for each one should have video and loupe360. At least I was able to see them.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
There’s typically a pretty big discount on HPHT with blue nuance. HPHT with blue/grey will almost always be cheaper than CVD unless there are serious issues with CVD strain.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I see the loup360 now. I much prefer the first one even though it has blue nuance.

EPdiamond

Rough_Rock
There’s typically a pretty big discount on HPHT with blue nuance. HPHT with blue/grey will almost always be cheaper than CVD unless there are serious issues with CVD strain.

I would prefer HPHT, but it seems quite difficult to find one without any to minimal blue nuance.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I would prefer HPHT, but it seems quite difficult to find one without any to minimal blue nuance.

If you want HPHT with minimal blue nuance you’ll likely need to pay more for the same color grade or go with D/E color.

To be clear there isn’t anything inherently bad about blue nuance as long as you know what you are getting.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I like the first one. No scientific reason, I just think it looks prettier. I like the slight blue nuance as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results