shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help Select Diamond for Engagement Ring!!!

cesmit2

Rough_Rock
I am very new to diamond basics, so I can use as much help as I can get. I have read as much as I can in a short period to try to get up to speed. I am presently looking to purchase an engagement ring...white gold solitaire with 1/2 carat princess-cut diamond - I have a very limited budget ($900).

I have narrowed down my online search to the following:

These 2 diamonds from Blue Nile:

Diamond #1
Price: $531
Carat: 0.45
Cut: Very Good
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
L/W Ratio: 1.05
Depth %: 70.5%
Table %: 67.0%
Measurements: 4.45 x 4.25 x 3.00 mm
Fluorescence: None
Girdle: Slightly Thick
Culet: None
Price Per Carat: $1,180
Report: GIA

Diamond #2
Price: $578
Carat: 0.48
Cut: Very Good
Polish: Very Good
L/W Ratio: 1.02
Depth %: 74.4%
Table %: 62.0%
Measurements: 4.32 x 4.22 x 3.14 mm
Fluorescence: Faint
Girdle: Medium
Price Per Carat: $1,204

and this one from James Allen:

Diamond #3
Price: $550
Carat: 0.46
Cut: Ideal
Polish: Excellent
Depth %: 73.7%
Table %: 71.0%
Measurements: 4.25 x 4.19 x 3.09 mm
Fluorescence: None

I will most likely be going with Blue Nile because they offer a setting for $200, compared to $400 at James Allen.

Are these good choices? Which would be the best to choose? and why? (I have been leaning toward Diamond #2 but am not sure if that is the best choice).

Any and all help would be so greatly appreciated. I need to make my decision soon. Thanks in advance!!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way to judge the cut performance of a princess without images, ASET image and GIA does not grade the cut performance of a princess, so the cut grade is what BN gives, and not sure of what they based it on, so basically shot in the dark on all these 3. Buying from BN, safest best is to go with AGS 0 cut performance graded stone or at least BN's Signature Ideal, which have the GCAL optical brilliance map.

This should be nice.
http://www.bluenile.com/princess-cu...-very-good-cut-i-color-vs2-clarity_LD02020275

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since GIA doesnt grade the cut of princess stones, getting an AGS0 stones is your best bet in terms of getting a well cut- sparkly stone. Vendors like James Allen will take ASET images of stones for your and e-mail them. This will help to determine the cut quality of non-AGS graded stones.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

cesmit2

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much for your help! I'll probably go with the Blue Nile AGS 0 stone that "should" be good that Amy said should be nice. Do you all know if Blue Nile will provide an ASET image if requested like James Allen?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. They do not provide any such service as they are a drop-shipper, meaning they just advertize stone that other jeweler's hold, quite common practice. They only own their signature ideal stones. Which is why we suggest to go with AGS0 stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results