shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help put a estimate price on this Sapphire ....

neonsaffire

Rough_Rock
Hi

I have come across an exquisite sapphire but it comes with a premium price tag.

I want to gauge your opinions on how much this gem really values at in the current market, in order for me to decide whether its a good deal or not.

The stone is GIA certified to be:

Weight: 8.10 Crts
Size: 12.68 x 9.12 x 7.56
Shape: Oval
Cutting style crown: Modified Brillian cut
Cutting style Pavilion: Step cut
Transparency: Transparent
Treatment: NO INDICATIONS OF HEATING
Species: Natural Corundum
Variety: Natural Sapphire
Color: Violetish Blue

The color of this stone is just superb, great luster, bright neon / velvet color.

See pictures attached of the stone. Please let me know your thoughts :angel:

_1216.png

_1218.png

_1219.png

_1217.png

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you get hold of the gia certificate number? I would not be happy paying any money with such bad pictures. I can't tell if the stone has surface reaching inclusions, if it is windowed, or if multiple of the photos got eddited on ms-paint. All of which are huge red flags in an expensive stone. Without better pictures I honestly think you should run.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qubitasaurus|1465691315|4043063 said:
Can you get hold of the gia certificate number? I would not be happy paying any money with such bad pictures. I can't tell if the stone has surface reaching inclusions, if it is windowed, or if multiple of the photos got eddited on ms-paint. All of which are huge red flags in an expensive stone. Without better pictures I honestly think you should run.

+1 to this! The photos are really questionable and make the stone look windowed or highly included.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is customary for vendors to include a description of the stone's clarity as well as it's other aspects so I would make certain the vendor responds with this information and gives you some detail in what you would see in hand in terms of level, visibility, and placement of inclusions.

You write that "the color of this stone is just superb, great luster, bright neon / velvet color." Is that your description - meaning you've seen the stone in person - or the sellers?

neonsaffire

Rough_Rock
The pictures were taken with flash so may distort the image.

The sapphires is described as water like see through clarity, it does have some natural inclusions due to it being a completely natural sapphire.

The stone is shimmers and sparkles with a displays of internal flashes of dark blue, light blue & violet blues shades.

I have uploaded a video of the sapphire which is currently in a ring, this will give a better idea of what the gem is like.

https://vid.me/cq5P

Can anyone put a estimate price on its value please

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
neonsaffire|1465717428|4043136 said:
The pictures were taken with flash so may distort the image.

The sapphires is described as water like see through clarity, it does have some natural inclusions due to it being a completely natural sapphire.

The stone is shimmers and sparkles with a displays of internal flashes of dark blue, light blue & violet blues shades.

I have uploaded a video of the sapphire which is currently in a ring, this will give a better idea of what the gem is like.

https://vid.me/cq5P

Can anyone put a estimate price on its value please

No, I seriously doubt anyone here will be comfortable providing an estimate based on such meaningless descriptions as "water like see through clarity." Is it eye clean or not? If not, does it have only slightly visible inclusions or is it moderately to highly included? Do the inclusions affect the structural integrity of the stone - that is, is the stone at risk of cracking or chipping due to the inclusions? If the seller will not disclose the information, do not do business with that seller.

Assuming the video has not been enhanced to exaggerate the stone's intensity of color, the stone appears to be medium to medium dark in tone, with strong saturation (definitely not vivid though), eye visible inclusions and a window as a result of less than ideal cutting. With that information, you can compare it to sapphires being sold by other vendors. I would look at Africa Gems and Gemfix for comps. I would also, as others have suggested, verify the veracity of the vendor's claims by confirming the GIA report.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the vendor's water is like that sapphire, I hope they have a very good filtration system. There are a lot of inclusions in that stone. It also seems very dead, not sparkly or velvety. The video seems to have shot mainly to make the diamonds sparkle, not to show off the workmanship of the piece or the quality of the stone.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The sapphire looks highly included. How much is it being sold for?

Also, something cannot be as clear as "water" and still have "natural inclusions" unless the vendor means under magnification; if it has inclusions then it isn't completely clean!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure I'll play, the stone is a highly included medium blue with either a big window or huge area of extinction in the centre in a fairly unattractive setting. Total value = $1000.00 to $2500.00. I personally wouldn't pay more than about $500 to $800 wholesale for it but the gold and the diamonds in the setting alone would be several hundred, so I took that into account, it might be worth more if the diamonds are a decent colour and clarity. It looks like something mass produced in India and as a result is not what I would describe as particularly outstanding in colour, cut or clarity. Retail no doubt they are trying to say it's less included and worth thousands because of the size of the stone, the fact it's unheated and the setting is distracting prospective buyers with lots of razzle dazzle around it. (Because lets face it a decent 8+ carat sapphire wouldn't need the excessively huge bling around it for distraction). So if they write their own over inflated certificates I dare say they are stating it's worth many thousand. It might be worth remember something like this is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If you are enticed by all the bling around it and like it for whatever reason then it's worth whatever you are willing to pay for it.

So I guess what I am saying, since you are insisting on a response is "if you are paying a premium for it" as you state in your opening comments, unless that is a really bad video and the pics above are not very accurate, then NO it isn't worth it. If it's a bargain and you like it, great if you expect to get rich reselling it or want it as some type of investment forget about it.

If you are planning on forking out thousands for it, find a reliable appraiser and get them to give you their opinion on it.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone who knows almost nothing about sapphires, I still wouldn't buy that stone. It looks highly included, not very saturated in colour, badly cut, and honestly the video seems designed to avoid allowing light through the stone (probably to hide how included the sapphire is). I'd guess it's worth very little despite its size.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Arkieb1 gives a good estimation on what this ring would sell for. And- it may take awhile to find a buyer. The inclusions in the sapphire are as distracting as the setting. This is coming from someone who actually likes somewhat gaudy rings. I am sorry but the one thing I have learned from collecting stones is it does not matter how big or how rare a colored gemstone is- it is beauty that sells.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert, however, as a consumer, I am not interested this sapphire, as I could see inclusions and a window, and it looks badly cut to my untrained eyes.

The colour is nice to me, however, due to the bad cut and inclusions, I would pass on this stone.

DK :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1465757048|4043262 said:
I am not an expert, however, as a consumer, I am not interested this sapphire, as I could see inclusions and a window, and it looks badly cut to my untrained eyes.

The colour is nice to me, however, due to the bad cut and inclusions, I would pass on this stone.

DK :))

Yup, agree with DK here. I wouldn't get near this stone because of the inclusions, the cut, and huge window. I doubt its worth much at all, as Arkie said previously.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
I'm sure the inclusion-free areas of the stone are clear like water - this is akin to saying monsoons are very dry between the rain drops. A stone with nice colour and size (though not shape, with that window) that wouldn't be described as gem quality in most of the world but can be found in tourist traps across India and Southeast Asia - I suspect the $500-800 is right on, IF you could find anybody willing to buy it. In most US/UK/Australian jewelers, it would be impossible to sell. I'm a little surprised it has a GIA report, to be honest...

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1465734086|4043156 said:
If the vendor's water is like that sapphire, I hope they have a very good filtration system. There are a lot of inclusions in that stone. It also seems very dead, not sparkly or velvety. The video seems to have shot mainly to make the diamonds sparkle, not to show off the workmanship of the piece or the quality of the stone.

This is why I thought too and I'm just a casual observer

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just came across this ring on Etsy when browsing. The price is $9250.00.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results