shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help Pick the Perfect Diamond (For My Budget)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scoseg

Rough_Rock
Wow. There are lots of diamonds out there. I think I just upsold myself as a customer. Maybe spent too many years in middle school behind the counter repeating, "For just 75 cents more you can get the large popcorn" and now it''s back firing on me.

I''m looking for an engagment ring for my lady. My budget is around 10K for everything. I can''t say enough about how helpful this forum and site have been. I''ve only posted once but have given the search engine a workout over the past few months.

I went out to a B&M this morning (Shane Co.) and felt very relaxed and prepared to do some "eyes on" learning. They were very helpful. Although I am far from an expert I knew I was more prepared than the majority of guys that stumble in. My trip established that it does seem that online sellers are more affordable and provide much more information about each diamond. I would post info on the two that I narrowed it down to at Shane but I''m sure those diamonds would have more questions than recommendations on this forum.

I emailed WF late yesterday and received a helpful response from Katie this morning. I visited Shane Co. and called WF when I got home. Katie wasn''t around so Tracy did a great job in helping me with more questions and I''m at a fairly comfortable decision but was hoping you all might be able to steer me clear of any potential issues.

1.203 ACA H&A H SI1 - $7576
1.226 ACA H&A G SI1 - $8260

Right away I would say the second one is the way to go since more money equals a happier girl. I''ve talked to her quite a bit about this so I''m not guessing too much. She hasn''t done much (really any) research which is great by me and I don''t think the difference between G or H will matter that much to her. I could tell a slight difference at the store with a G and H side by side. Wondering if you all think it''s worth the additional $$$ for the G. Also, it would help a ton if there are suggestions on a better deal out there on a similar diamond.

I ended up putting the 1.226 G SI1 on hold until Monday morning. Tracy said all of the information and picture are not currently uploaded since this diamond is new in their stock and that pics and other info should be up by Tuesday. I''m hoping the info currently provided is enough for the educated PS users to give some feedback.

The diamond will be in a Tiffany style platinum setting. WF offers one for $1275 but I am a little hesitant to buy the actual ring there since I''m sure I won''t get the size correct on the first go. I have an idea after taking in one of her other rings to the B&M. It''s for the ring finger on her right hand and both the B&M and WF said her left hand would be around a size or so smaller. I know WF will do resizes but the total cost to send the ring to them and get it back is $75. Should I just have them send me the diamond and find a place to do the setting by me? I guess there is the setting fee if I do it locally. Advice appreciated on this one as well.

I''m looking for some opinionated people out there! Thanks for any feedback!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like you have a few great choices. But are you serious that more money = a happy GF? That seems a bit odd to me. That being said, I don't think anyone would notice the difference between the G and the H. I'd save the $ personally. And if it's an ACA you don't have to worry, it will be stunning.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi scoseq,

Good for you for using that search feature!
2.gif
You''ve picked two great stones, one is not better than the other. Honestly, I''d recommend the H. In a well cut stone, you''re not going to see much of anything at that level, and it would save you some money. And it doesn''t sound like your gal is really picky, so I really think you''d be fine.

I would also recommend having WF set the stone, then it''s covered should something (rare) happen. And you''re right, if you have to send it back to get it resized, that cost is most likely going to be less than a settiing fee from someone local.
28.gif

scoseg

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the quick responses! Completely joking about the more $$$ = happier g/f thing. Humor is tough online. I guess that's why they make
emteeth.gif
's.

I'm suprised that the first two comments suggested going for the H. That just means I have some extra money budgeted for a nice dinner and some other fancy treats the day I propose!

Came back to mention what I'm going after. Looking for the best cut, and then, per her preference, carat size then color and then clarity (as long as it is eye clean).

Thanks again for all of your help!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 7:27:37 PM
Author: scoseg
Thanks so much for the quick responses! Completely joking about the more $$$ = happier g/f thing. Humor is tough online. I guess that''s why they make
emteeth.gif
''s.

I''m suprised that the first two comments suggested going for the H. That just means I have some extra money budgeted for a nice dinner and some other fancy treats the day I propose!

Came back to mention what I''m going after. Looking for the best cut, and then, per her preference, carat size then color and then clarity (as long as it is eye clean).

Thanks again for all of your help!
Then I''d say with the H, mission accomplished!

And yes, we''ll expect a fine dining review later.
9.gif
2.gif

We all have seen enough well cut stones to know that it is quite easy to go a bit lower on the color scale, than say, with mall diamonds. The cut really does make all the difference.
28.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diamonds are all in the G-H range, and there is not that much difference. But there really is only a few hindred dollars difference in the 1.20 H and the 1.22 G, so I'd probably just stick with the G since it will be within your budget with the setting.

Incidentally, I wouldn't go a full size smaller than her right hand ring size. If it is a little big, she can still wear it to show if off. But if it is too small, she won't be able to! I'd probably go 1/2 to 3/4 size smaller.

Oh, and you know the price will be 5% less on an ACA with the wire and Pricescope discounts, right?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

scoseg

Rough_Rock
Thanks to you all for your help and wisdom so far.

It sounds like the average person won''t really be able to tell the difference in G vs H with these particular cuts so I''ll probably save the money. I don''t mind spending more but it has to be worth it for me to let the cash run out of my pocket.

The WF setting (Tiffany style platinum) does seem pricey compared to other similar settings. I would rather them do everything but wondering if maybe they have some room to move on the setting itself? It wouldn''t be a big deal but it''s about $300-$400+ more than similar settings. I know WF does a price match but not sure if that extends to settings.

Oh, and you know the price will be 5% less on an ACA with the wire and Pricescope discounts, right?

Thanks for the info. Tracy mentioned this to me on the phone and it was a pleasant surprise! I thought I would get the 2% wire discount but she said it was 5% for all ACA diamonds. I don''t believe there is an additional discount for mentioning PS but I''ve dropped the name plenty in emails and phone calls.

I''m getting excited to buy this and hand it over to my girlfriend. We''re heading to the mountains (Telluride - long history there) over the 4th of July where I plan to be as smooth as possible!

Thanks again!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:32:47 AM
Author: scoseg
Thanks to you all for your help and wisdom so far.

It sounds like the average person won''t really be able to tell the difference in G vs H with these particular cuts so I''ll probably save the money. I don''t mind spending more but it has to be worth it for me to let the cash run out of my pocket.

The WF setting (Tiffany style platinum) does seem pricey compared to other similar settings. I would rather them do everything but wondering if maybe they have some room to move on the setting itself? It wouldn''t be a big deal but it''s about $300-$400+ more than similar settings. I know WF does a price match but not sure if that extends to settings.

<quote>Oh, and you know the price will be 5% less on an ACA with the wire and Pricescope discounts, right?</quote>

Thanks for the info. Tracy mentioned this to me on the phone and it was a pleasant surprise! I thought I would get the 2% wire discount but she said it was 5% for all ACA diamonds. I don''t believe there is an additional discount for mentioning PS but I''ve dropped the name plenty in emails and phone calls.

I''m getting excited to buy this and hand it over to my girlfriend. We''re heading to the mountains (Telluride - long history there) over the 4th of July where I plan to be as smooth as possible!

Thanks again!
Never hurts to ask.
2.gif

And what a fabulous place to propose!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results