shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help. Opinion needed. For it all to work out, need to buy before 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wistletown

Rough_Rock

All in all, this is probably a Canadian stone but proof has been lost because the people involved in the cutting or processing of the diamond was not part of the Canadianmark program. All things aside, whether it''s Canadian or non-Canadian, is this stone worth buying? It''s NWT enscribed on the girdle but I highly doubt I will get my hands on the paperwork. It does come with the GIA certificate though.

$23,156
G color, VSI clarity
GIA certified
Comment notes NWTXXXX is engraved on the girdle
2.01 carats
table: 56.5
depth: 61.2
cutlet: none
fluorescence: none
girdle: thin to medium
cut: very good (there is a comment saying "cut grade was affecting because of brillanteering")
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Crown Angles: 34.5
Pavilion angles: 40.8

8.18mm X 8.21mm X 5.00mm
~wistletown

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
I think it depends on your tolerance for risk.

The numbers definitely look good, but I don''t know a lot about the brillianteering (is this painting?? - if so, I think most the experts here are OK with a little bit of it).

Will you have a chance to inspect (or have it appraised) and return? If so, I''d jump on it. If not, again, its about your tolerance for risk. Chances are it will be a nice stone, and the deal is pretty good, but really - who knows.

FYI, I did a quick search for stones from 2.0 to 2.02 G VS1 here and found 4 that rate under a "2" on the HCA - $26k, $27k, and 2 $30k''s. Only one of them faces up as large as this one - and its a WF ACA.

My guess is this is a really nice stone and a good deal, maybe in part b/c of the knock on the cut grade for brillianteering. If someone else can comment on that.. I dunno - if it were me, I''d probably go for it.

My $.02.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much. Do you know in what situation would brillanteering would not be so tolerable?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d be tempted to go for it, too. Is there a return policy? I''d at least want it verified that the stone is as stated on the cert before I was obligated to keep it.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 4:33:25 PM
Author: wistletown
Thanks so much. Do you know in what situation would brillanteering would not be so tolerable?
Sorry, no, I really know nothing about it. I'd just suggest running a search and seeing what you can learn in 20 min. Maybe someone will post who knows.

PS - Tell us the verdict!!
31.gif

wistletown

Rough_Rock
At last I was not able to make the decision and won''t be in able to get everything ready to propose on her bday. I couldn''t pull the trigger but did find another stone I like. Thanks so much for all the help thus far.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Nothing wrong with exercising a little discretion - $23k+ is a lot to drop on something without thoroughly thinking it over. Good luck!
35.gif

mikespooner

Rough_Rock
Btw, "brillanteering" is really just a fancy word for polishing. So that stone would not have been polished very well, if that dropped the overall cut grade. You could technically repolish it, but that would of course cost extra so perhaps it''s for better that you didn''t go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results