shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help on a "G"color diamond-Stumped

lumhechati

Rough_Rock
I bought a diamond ring with a .95 carat round-vv2,i had the diamond pulled to weigh it and get a color grade.The color is determined to be a G-so i had 3 other GIA gemologist look at the color--one said it's a brown diamond and put a K next to it-No match,so i went to another he put the diamond in a electronic reader??and he stated it read out a G color TLB that's what he said but he's lied to me many time's trying to get me to sell it to him---He wrote up a .75 carat "old mine cut" :angryfire: he lent me a 1,000 i went back and got it back he tried to say wholesale is only 800.per carat,then offered 500.I then went to my father GIA gemologist 50 yrs he said it's a G vv2 cut very good.He checked it and it's a G color--here's where i'm lost i know diamonds have a yellow tint(overtone) o.k now what about a brown G color diamond?????????isn't a G a G color,i have photos a diamond next to G color masterstone and a H color masterstone---how would GIA color grade this as a Brown G?? or a G color---i thought a G color is a G color diamond.Please help me understand this.

_37130.jpg

_37131.jpg

_37132.jpg

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
lumhechati|1462777049|4029195 said:
He checked it and it's a G color--here's where i'm lost i know diamonds have a yellow tint(overtone) o.k now what about a brown G color diamond?????????isn't a G a G color,i have photos a diamond next to G color masterstone and a H color masterstone---how would GIA color grade this as a Brown G?? or a G color---i thought a G color is a G color diamond.Please help me understand this.

Hey mate - sounds like you've got a few issues to sort out...I'll try not to add to the mess and only comment on one of them ;-) ...
Diamonds can have many different hues - - the most common gem quality goods in the normal D-Z colour range are yellow or brown (yellow is the preference). But having a brown body hue isn't necessarily a problem (unless you personally don't like it). So yes, you can have a yellow coloured G or a brown coloured G. Also, colour grades are a range - so you can have borderline grades like top end Gs which on another day may have been graded as an F...and low end Gs which may have been given an H on another day by another grader...and you can have G colour goods that sit right in the middle of where they should be.
Hope this helps

lumhechati

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help,so if sent it in GIA would i end up with a G color grade?or a brown diamond color grade??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You would end up with whatever grade they assign it. No telling what that would be. But, no it will not come back brown fancy or anything like that.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Let me break this down for you:

1. Diamonds have several body colours.

2. Diamonds with body colour yellow, brown and Grey are graded on normal D-Z scale

3. Diamonds with K colour and below receive a letter grade + brown comment for brown stones.

4. Diamonds with grey tint DO NOT receive any colour grade below J. Only comment Faint Gray, Light Gray.

5. Yellow tint and mixed tint with Yellow as dominant colour do not receive color comment only Letter grade.

6. All other colours with saturation equivalent to G and below receive fancy colour grade.

7. All normal tints (Yellow, brown, gray) receive fancy grade when having saturation more than Z on D-Z scale.

Hope this clears out your confusion.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
gr8leo87|1462789790|4029220 said:
Let me break this down for you:

1. Diamonds have several body colours.

2. Diamonds with body colour yellow, brown and Grey are graded on normal D-Z scale

3. Diamonds with K colour and below receive a letter grade + brown comment for brown stones.

4. Diamonds with grey tint DO NOT receive any colour grade below J. Only comment Faint Gray, Light Gray.

5. Yellow tint and mixed tint with Yellow as dominant colour do not receive color comment only Letter grade.

6. All other colours with saturation equivalent to G and below receive fancy colour grade.

7. All normal tints (Yellow, brown, gray) receive fancy grade when having saturation more than Z on D-Z scale.

Hope this clears out your confusion.

Here's a chart to help visualise the above:

colour-grade-terminology-boundaries.png

Hope this helps

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent information gr8leo87 and ADN!

lumhechati...my only advice is to not go back to a jeweler who has lied to you before. I would say once would be my limit.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is long standing feeling against brown tinted diamonds in the trade.
In this day and age with anything and everything being cut and sold it is less than it once was but the old school still turn up their noses at any brown tint.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Re: Please help on a "G"color diamond-Stumped

Karl_K said:
In this day and age with anything and everything being cut and sold it is less than it once was but the old school still turn up their noses at any brown tint.
That's correct.

The brown stones are also discounted by about 5% especially with colours H and below.

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
gr8leo87 said:
The brown stones are also discounted by about 5% especially with colours H and below.

What is the discount for grey stones? Other colors?

ADN said:

Hope this helps

What are the "Other Colors" that would still be graded as D, E, and F?

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Re: Please help on a "G"color diamond-Stumped

Skhii said:
gr8leo87 said:

What is the discount for grey stones? Other colors?

ADN said:

Hope this helps

What are the "Other Colors" that would still be graded as D, E, and F?
Grey tint is a bit rare. But I would expect the discount to be similar.

The other colors could be really any - green, pink, etc etc.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1462810099|4029316 said:

+1

Great thread - good information for anyone who has questions in this arena.

lumhechati

Rough_Rock
This has been so very helpful,i want to send it to GIA but was worried they'd grade it a brown diamond instead of a G-color,answered a classified ad for this in a mounting for 200.00 and at first sight i thought great a cz,but saw faceted girdle then tested it-i was shocked but bought/gentleman knew it was real.clarity is vv2 at .95 round :clap: thank you-Roy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results