shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help Need to decide which one!

Beckywecky

Rough_Rock
Please help me decide which one. I am especially interested in the specific reasons for your decision. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1E47045F-9FC9-4182-A579-1E23A02CA2C1.jpeg
    1E47045F-9FC9-4182-A579-1E23A02CA2C1.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 13
  • A984C488-BED9-4F28-9AE0-678909EDF6C4.jpeg
    A984C488-BED9-4F28-9AE0-678909EDF6C4.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you run the HCA scores on these? Guessing the first one (2.01 G) will score under 2 (possibly under 1) and the second one (2.00 G) will score over 2. Meaning the first one has potential, but it is more a 60/60 style diamond (some like this style, but it tends to be more white than fiery) and it has a cavity, so it would not be my choice. And the angles of the second one aren't complimentary, so I also wouldn't pick it. So basically, neither of these work for me.

Beckywecky

Rough_Rock
Have you run the HCA scores on these? Guessing the first one (2.01 G) will score under 2 (possibly under 1) and the second one (2.00 G) will score over 2. Meaning the first one has potential, but it is more a 60/60 style diamond (some like this style, but it tends to be more white than fiery) and it has a cavity, so it would not be my choice. And the angles of the second one aren't complimentary, so I also wouldn't pick it. So basically, neither of these work for me.

What do you mean by not "complimentary?" Thank you!

Beckywecky

Rough_Rock
Here is diamond #2. I can’t edit to add to the original post. 3676DF37-6E8B-4C37-8CB2-A14E4FD23C90.jpeg

Beckywecky

Rough_Rock
What do you mean by not "complimentary?" Thank you!

I just ran the HCA ( I had to buy more) on the SECOND one. It scored a 3.5, Very Good, worth buying if the price is right. I am still curious to know your concerns.

The first one scored a 1.6, sparkles beautifully, good size for its carat weight.

What is the scale and range for this tool? The higher the better? Sorry, new here. Thank you!

Thank you.

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ran the HCA ( I had to buy more) on the SECOND one. It scored a 3.5, Very Good, worth buying if the price is right. I am still curious to know your concerns.

The first one scored a 1.6, sparkles beautifully, good size for its carat weight.

What is the scale and range for this tool? The higher the better? Sorry, new here. Thank you!

Thank you.

The HCA is used to help select stones that are worth considering- if they score above 2 they would usually be rejected. The second stone falls into this category plus it‘s cut a bit deep and will likely face up smaller than it should. The first stone has a good HCA score so is worth looking at, however it has a cavity listed which as mentioned above might put some people off.

What are you looking for? Is this an ER stone?

Beckywecky

Rough_Rock
The HCA is used to help select stones that are worth considering- if they score above 2 they would usually be rejected. The second stone falls into this category plus it‘s cut a bit deep and will likely face up smaller than it should. The first stone has a good HCA score so is worth looking at, however it has a cavity listed which as mentioned above might put some people off.

What are you looking for? Is this an ER stone?

What is an ER stone?

I'm looking for 2 ct, GIA XXX, Round SI 1, F-G.

Thank you!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You should pass on both.
Diamond 1: As stated earlier, I would personally not purchase a diamond with a cavity. Beyond that, I do not care for the larger table as I don’t like the look of its large table reflection. I also like a higher crown. I had a stone once with those characteristics and it was not favorable to me and I got rid of it. It is a little larger for its carat weight and will give you a big look but I think that comes at a price (sacrifice).
Diamond 2: Additional clouds not shown under comments is always something to look further into when in an SI clarity grading. Anything with an HCA like that is something you should pass on. The diameter is too small for its carat weight... and that comment is coming from someone who has a 2.01 ct that is a little deep, hence a wee bit smaller for its size (& there are reasons I bought it) but the stone under consideration is even smaller, not even being a minimum of 8.0 mm. I do not believe the angles work. As for the photo, while I do love the visual of a higher crown and its reflection, the photo appears to just have minimal flashes of fire with the rest being dead areas. The photo from the jeweler for certain should be seen at its best under their fancy lights and if it is already presenting itself as such I would pass. There is just so many diamonds out there. I know they are triple excellents which I’m sure the jeweler is selling you and it would seem to makes sense but the way GIA grades is that some parameters that would qualify it for that cut grading just don’t necessarily yield the best outcome when combined with one another.
I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that these have been provided to you by a local jeweler? May I ask how much these stones are? If I am write, you could do much better purchasing on line and get a much better stone for less money. I’m all about supporting local, but I don’t think you have been presented with great options.
Also, as a point of reference, there will be a large cost differential between an F color and a G.

Beckywecky

Rough_Rock
You should pass on both.
Diamond 1: As stated earlier, I would personally not purchase a diamond with a cavity. Beyond that, I do not care for the larger table as I don’t like the look of its large table reflection. I also like a higher crown. I had a stone once with those characteristics and it was not favorable to me and I got rid of it. It is a little larger for its carat weight and will give you a big look but I think that comes at a price (sacrifice).
Diamond 2: Additional clouds not shown under comments is always something to look further into when in an SI clarity grading. Anything with an HCA like that is something you should pass on. The diameter is too small for its carat weight... and that comment is coming from someone who has a 2.01 ct that is a little deep, hence a wee bit smaller for its size (& there are reasons I bought it) but the stone under consideration is even smaller, not even being a minimum of 8.0 mm. I do not believe the angles work. As for the photo, while I do love the visual of a higher crown and its reflection, the photo appears to just have minimal flashes of fire with the rest being dead areas. The photo from the jeweler for certain should be seen at its best under their fancy lights and if it is already presenting itself as such I would pass. There is just so many diamonds out there. I know they are triple excellents which I’m sure the jeweler is selling you and it would seem to makes sense but the way GIA grades is that some parameters that would qualify it for that cut grading just don’t necessarily yield the best outcome when combined with one another.
I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that these have been provided to you by a local jeweler? May I ask how much these stones are? If I am write, you could do much better purchasing on line and get a much better stone for less money. I’m all about supporting local, but I don’t think you have been presented with great options.
Also, as a point of reference, there will be a large cost differential between an F color and a G.

Thanks for that advice. They are not from "local" jewelers in my area, but they are not online diamonds. Both are about $19,500. Since I'm looking at SI1 stones, they are all going to have flaws. Unfortunately, I won't find an IF stone in my budget and criteria. So, I'm trying to decide what flaws are acceptable. I was told this stone presents more like a VS2 as far as inclusions.....

Beckywecky

Rough_Rock
Not sure if this is best format, here's a video to Diamon #2:

Beckywecky

Rough_Rock
And one more video:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results