shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE HELP! Need opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bariww

Rough_Rock
I am considering having a 2.03 carat RB EGL USA stone shipped in from a PS vendor so I can take a look at it, but want to get some opinions first before I pay to ship it here. Any help would be soooo greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

This is what I know....

2.03 RB EGL USA - $14,260
Ideal Plus
E color
SI1 clarity - says that his diamond manufacturer people say it''s very eye clean.
Says it''s H&A
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
No flourescence
No cutlet
8.18x8.15x4.97
Total Depth 60.9
Table 58
Crown Angle 34
Pavillion Angle 41
Crown % 14.1
Pavillion % 43.1
Girdle 1.2%-2.1%
Scores a 1.5 on HCA -
Excellent
Excellent
Very Good
Very Good

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 4:32:22 PM
Author:bariww
I am considering having a 2.03 carat RB EGL USA stone shipped in from a PS vendor so I can take a look at it, but want to get some opinions first before I pay to ship it here. Any help would be soooo greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

This is what I know....

2.03 RB EGL USA - $14,260
Ideal Plus
E color
SI1 clarity - says that his diamond manufacturer people say it's very eye clean.
Says it's H&A
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
No flourescence
No cutlet
8.18x8.15x4.97
Total Depth 60.9
Table 58
Crown Angle 34
Pavillion Angle 41
Crown % 14.1
Pavillion % 43.1
Girdle 1.2%-2.1%
Scores a 1.5 on HCA -
Excellent
Excellent
Very Good
Very Good
Well it looks promising by the numbers but a few cautions....Firstly the term Ideal Plus doesn't mean a lot, this looks like a well cut diamond from what I can tell but Ideal Plus doesn't guarantee you a particular level of cut quality.

Secondly although it is being sold as a h&a diamond, we have no way of knowing without images - particularly of the hearts - to judge overall cut precision, so ask if the vendor can supply these. Also an Idealscope image would be useful if this could be arranged also.

If you are ok with EGL and don't want to stick to GIA or AGS graded diamonds then this one could be a possibility - you might want to get the diamond independantly appraised during the return period to make sure the colour and clarity check out.

Here is the appraiser tool

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

bariww

Rough_Rock
I''m aware of the whole EGL vs GIA vs AGS thing, but I''m trying to stay focused on buying a diamond not a piece of paper. That being said, I''m just trying to get some opinions based on the info I do have as to whether or not this is something that I should spend $50 bucks on shipping in (and $50 back if I don''t like it). For whatever it''s worth, the PS vendor said that his diamond people said that this is truly an E and very eye clean. This whole process is getting soooo frustrating that it''s not even enjoyable anymore.... UGH!

bariww

Rough_Rock
Lorelei -
I just re-read your post and I''m confused. The EGL USA diamond analysis report they sent me says Hearts & Arrows on it. Can they put that on there if it really isn''t? I''ve attached the document for you to take a look at. Thanks!

Bari

EGL Cert.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 5:29:59 PM
Author: bariww
Lorelei -
I just re-read your post and I'm confused. The EGL USA diamond analysis report they sent me says Hearts & Arrows on it. Can they put that on there if it really isn't? I've attached the document for you to take a look at. Thanks!

Bari
Hi Bari!

Yes this can happen that h&a can be put on a report or applied to any diamond which shows an arrow pattern. The thing is - even if a diamond does show a strong arrow pattern and hearts, it may not actually be considered worthy of the h&a title by experts who specialize in the study of this precision cutting type. There aren't really any accepted standards as such for h&a diamonds to the best of my knowledge, but the best way to be able to judge overall cut precision is to obtain hearts and arrows images - many vendors who sell branded h&a diamonds can prove the cut precision by providing these images. The diamond looks to be well cut from the info given, but whenever the h&a title is applied to a non branded h&a diamond and we don't have images - then I personally want proof of this claim. If having a near h&a is fine with you or just a well cut diamond then this might fit the bill, but without images I personally would not want to tell you yes, this is definitely a h&a cut when I have no evidence that it is.

Sorry, I can't read the report , it isn't quite large enough.

This tutorial explains more.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/65/1/Hearts-and-Arrows-Diamonds-and-The-Basics-of-Diamond-Cutting.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results