shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help, need advice on a specific diamond

Babalou119

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am proposing to my girlfriend at the end of September. I have been trying to learn about diamonds for the past couple months to make sure I buy a good diamond. I found a diamond on James Allen this afternoon that I have put on hold for 48 hours and would really appreciate any feedback on it.

Here is the link:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3038870

When I first started shopping for a ring, I set my budget around 10k. After researching diamonds, I realized this is almost impossible to find a good quality diamond around 1.75 carats at that price. I considered dropping down to 1.5 carats if I could find a great deal on a diamond. The ring above is over my budget, but if it is a good value then I know I need to make some sacrifices and up my budget. If you think I can find a better diamond around 1.5 carats at my budget please let me know. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your feedback!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone! Nice angles...h&A in my book.

What is the price on that stone? We may have some other suggestions for you.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the stone, and to be honest, the price looks pretty good too!

Babalou119

Rough_Rock
Thank you for taking a look tyty and tophat.

Tyty the price was around 13,900.

sachiemay

Rough_Rock
Very nice! What setting were you thinking of?
You might be able to find a 1.5 with a higher color grade for less but the I's still look pretty white to me! Especially in a round brilliant.

If this is the one, she's a lucky girl!

Babalou119

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I'm still undecided on an exact setting. I know it will be platinum. I was looking at a Pave or Channel setting.

sachiemay

Rough_Rock
Not that you asked, but I vote channel! Keep us posted on what you end up going with and remember to show pics. Buena suerte!

sachiemay

Rough_Rock
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3856779.htm

Check this dude out! Higher clarity grade. Smaller carat weight but quite frankly, barely noticeable size reduction. It too is an I color but with Medium Blue flouresence which could cancel out any yellow tint. AND it's Excellent Cut, Polish and symmetry. Imo, it's worth asking for a pic/video?

$8529 is a bank wire price. Figure about a grand or so more for a platinum solitaire. More with stones in the setting, other than the main diamond.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um.. please ignore the WF virtual inventory suggestion and the channel setting suggestion...Both are a no-no.

Some channel set bands are pretty, but for an engagement ring, I would definitely go with pave. It is much more feminine, younger and definitely trendier today. There are multiple types of pavè, so it is really about finding a classic style that you like and she will like. What is the budget for the setting?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd vote pave for setting over channel. Channel to me is more of an anniversary rig or right hand ring than for an engagement. I also second SimoneDi's view on the previously suggested WF virtual inventory stone. A tad deep and the angles are not that complementary for me. If you are looking for a stone with blue fluorescence, my first place to look would be Brian Gavin Diamonds for the BG Blue stones.

Babalou119

Rough_Rock
Thank you all, I really appreciate the feedback.

I have been looking at some of settings on James Allen and here are some the ones I liked:

1. 4 prong pave - https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...ut-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-2018

2. 6 prong pave- https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...ave-taper-milgrain-engagement-ring-item-55578

3. 4 prong twist - https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...tinum-twisted-pave-engagement-ring-item-53679

Any recommendations between a 4/6 prong setting? Thanks!!!

Babalou119

Rough_Rock
Just want to say thanks to everyone for chiming in on the diamond above. I just received the diamond today and it looks gorgeous. Any input on the setting regarding the prongs? Thanks

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 prong can sometimes square a round a little visually especially if they're not delicate. In a larger stone, 4 prongs may not be as secure either.
6 will ensure the stone is safe from knocks and keep it looking round.
Has she expressed any sort of preference?

Katesimone

Rough_Rock
I think someone else calling a channel set ring a no no is very rude. I really like channel set rings and if you think your girlfriend would like it you should go for it!

Babalou119

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Fox. No she hasn't made a reference to type of setting at all. I know she prefers white gold or platinum, but that's about all the assistance I got from her. It's a total surprise.

My biggest concern was about the diamond being secured. I had read some reviews about online retailers not advising customers properly on the setting and they ended up with a loose stone. So I will definitely lean more towards the 6 prong setting. Thanks.

Babalou119

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Kate. I wanted something more than a solitaire setting and the two best settings I saw was either pave or channel. I like the complimentary stones on the side. Just trying to find the right one that pops to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results