shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help, need advice and suggestions on Diamond Ring

Twilu3

Rough_Rock
Hello,

My fiance and I are shopping for engagement rings together. We started off probably on the wrong foot and went to a chain jewelry store first (Kay Jewelers). Although we were adament upon having a GIA certified diamond, apparently Kay does not carry these on hand. The manager spoke to us and somehow convinced us to look at the Tolkowsky Ideal Cut Diamonds. Now, it says on their website that all Tolkowsky diamonds are IGI certified (and from what we have researched, IGI is not very reputable/accurate)... But the diamond we ended up liking says it is GSI certified. Needless to say, there is a LOT of information, and we are just really confused now...We were told that GSI (apparently either affiliated with IGI or Gemex) holds the same standards as GIA. Not so sure about that though... Basically we have gone to TWO jewelers now and here is the info on the first one... We need advice/suggestions please, thanks!

So, we basically chose a Tolkowsky Diamond which has an Ideal Cut (we deff want an Ideal/Excellent cut diamond, very important). It has been graded G for color and SI2 for clarity (but we forgot to ask more about size/location of the inclusions...). It is 0.76 carats, (but has the look of a 1 carat)
Its really pretty and it definitely has a great sparkle to it.

We decided to have this diamond put into a Neil Lane setting...now here is where things get even more complicated...
We have read mixed reviews on these Neil Lane settings with side stones falling out and even the actual diamond itself! Then others say the settings are perect and never had any issues and love it. I happen to LOVE the look and style of the setting I chose.. and with the 0.76 Tolkowsky diamond placed in this setting..WOW, it will be incredible and will really shine! Setting is 14k white Gold.

Main concerns are the mixed reviews on the Neil Lane setting and the fact that the Tolkowsky Diamonds are not GIA certified.

NEXT...
We went to a local jewelry store and found a similar style ring for less money and better quality (we think). It is a Hearts on Fire diamond and settings and BOY does it SPARKLE! It is a 0.5ct diamond but 1ct TW. Graded by AGS with H color and SI1 clarity. The diamond is the "Dream/Square" style and HoF diamonds are all IDEAL cuts from what we were told and shown and read about. It is gorgeous and the settings comes in Platinum! Its very dainty which I like. This probably should be a no brainer, but we are concerned about the fact that this ring is a "branded name" and just have some doubts about if it is truly worth the cost for what we are gettings, or are we paying for that "brand name". I feel like it is a better quality ring than the one at Kays but I really like the profile look on the Neil Lane setting.

I realize it is hard to compare these because the Tolkowsk is 0.76 carats and the HoF is 0.5 carats.. they are very different but very similar (if that makes sense).

Here are two links to show you because in the HoF setting, the diamond is more secure, but you see less of it. The Neil Lane setting will have the Tolkowsky Diamond more "on display" but might not be as secure... yet I like the look better on the Neil Lane setting..SUCH A HARD CHOICE!!

Okay, so look at these pictures and please look at the PROFILE VIEWS so you see what I mean:

http://www.kay.com/product1%7C10101%7C10001%7C-1%7C94020181399?catalogId=10001&searchText=94020181399&globalSearchText=94020181399&langId=-1&storeId=10101&totalRecords=1&ddkey=http:SterlingSearch

http://www.heartsonfire.com/shop-jewelry/rings/engagement-rings/transcenddreamengagementring.aspx

Each place said they offer a service where you can "design" your ring. If it were possible to have the HoF ring designed more in the style of the Neil Lane settings, so the diamond is more on display, than I think this decision would be a lot easier.

We are still shopping around. We deff will buy in-store and no online. Please kindly give your thoughts/suggestions.
We can use all the help we can get right now.

Thank you so much and sorry this was so long!

:)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what was the prices you were getting on all of these? Why won't you buy online, exactly?

Twilu3

Rough_Rock
Thnx for the link ;-)

The 0.76 carat Tolkowsky Diamond in Neil Lane setting (and also matching wedding band) is around $11k but with upcoming deal it will end up being around $6K. Also will need to pay for Care plan.

The 0.5 carat HoF Diamond engagement ring is $5500
Care plan is free.

We don't want to purchase online because we want to see what we're buying before paying for it. Nothing against online sellers but this is just our preference. I'm sure there are return policies but it is just a preference to buy in-store.

Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK. What about this? It would have to be a round because they dont sell those fancy hearts and arrows squares, but ritani sells a similar setting and nice well cut diamonds. And you can design it online and have it shipped to a local store free of cost, review it there and seaside on it or not. Because that is ridiculously overpriced.
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/halo-french-set-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/6113

http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-0-90-Carat-H-color-AGSL-certified/D-C3YH2K

Adrienne2006

Rough_Rock
Hi. My b/f amd I have been shopping for rings like yourself. At first we were against online buying...how unromantic, and wanting to see it in person because we thought we'd be able to pick out the best one ourselves. But now that we've done more research on price scope I must say I feel sorry for the people who buy in a local shop. The prices are absolutely outrageous :angryfire: especially the settings. we still look around in local shops so we can decide on how color sensitive we are and what size looks best, maybe theres a great deal we can nab. But every time it's frustrating because the sales people have no clue what I'm talking about when I ask certain questions...things I've learned from the wonderful people here.. Things that are important when making such a big financial/emotional purchase. They can't provide ideal scopes, aset images, magnified pictures, heck We have a hard enough time getting the certificate!!! I think I've learned enought to know that a .7 anything cant look like a 1 carat, or if it does something is really wrong with its cut!! :read: I like that most online vendors will send it to a gemologist to get his/her opinion first, I don't trust my self with the magnifying loupe they give you!

Please next time you're at a store right down some specs and look at pricescope vendors like. Goodoldgold.com whiteflash.com jamesallen.com bluenile.com. You'll be amazed how much bigger and better you can get online for the money. I swear you even get to see the diamond better online. Jamesallen.com has some crazy videos on every one. :love: all you have to do is give everyone your budget and they can link you to some amazing stones, ones that fit some mathematical guidelines of the diamond lovers world. :razz: I wish you the best of luck.

sha4000

Shiny_Rock
Adrienne2006|1367357296|3437688 said:
Hi. My b/f amd I have been shopping for rings like yourself. At first we were against online buying...how unromantic, and wanting to see it in person because we thought we'd be able to pick out the best one ourselves. But now that we've done more research on price scope I must say I feel sorry for the people who buy in a local shop. The prices are absolutely outrageous :angryfire: especially the settings. we still look around in local shops so we can decide on how color sensitive we are and what size looks best, maybe theres a great deal we can nab. But every time it's frustrating because the sales people have no clue what I'm talking about when I ask certain questions...things I've learned from the wonderful people here.. Things that are important when making such a big financial/emotional purchase. They can't provide ideal scopes, aset images, magnified pictures, heck We have a hard enough time getting the certificate!!! I think I've learned enought to know that a .7 anything cant look like a 1 carat, or if it does something is really wrong with its cut!! :read: I like that most online vendors will send it to a gemologist to get his/her opinion first, I don't trust my self with the magnifying loupe they give you!

Please next time you're at a store right down some specs and look at pricescope vendors like. Goodoldgold.com whiteflash.com jamesallen.com bluenile.com. You'll be amazed how much bigger and better you can get online for the money. I swear you even get to see the diamond better online. Jamesallen.com has some crazy videos on every one. :love: all you have to do is give everyone your budget and they can link you to some amazing stones, ones that fit some mathematical guidelines of the diamond lovers world. :razz: I wish you the best of luck.

Could not have said it better.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Where are you located? Not all online PS vendors sell strictly online, many also have BM storefronts that you can visit...even some that sell online will allow you to make an appointment to see the stone in their offices. I also agree with adrienne2006, there is something special about viewing the stones and settings together in person, but very very rarely do BM stores offer the technical information necessary to buy a truly well cut stone. Most won't even be able to explain to you why one performs better than another. They also tend to be much more expensive because they have much higher overhead costs. Do some research here while you continue to look locally for a stone, ask lots of questions before you purchase. You may find that you begin to change your mind about how you feel about shopping online. Oh, btw....you do NOT need to buy the care plan. Read the fine print carefully before you purchase. Insuring your ring on your own often is a much better and cheaper way to go.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sha4000 and Christina have said it all. OP read their posts carefully.
If you still want to go for a true B&M store to buy, and pay lots more and probably get lower quality, its your coin. Best of luck.

Twilu3

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for all the information and the links.

We have been pretty stubborn about buying in-store, but like you have all said, it is overpriced and we realize this. It really has been a matter of just being able to see (and try on) rings, but the more and more we research and read the more open minded we are becoming about the possibiliy of buying online.

Perhaps someone can just please fill us in a little bit on the care plans that you will receive if you purchase online.

The problem I am facing right now is that I cannot seem to pull myself away from the Neil Lane setting that I saw at Kays. I love the Modern Vintage look of it and love how (which ever diamond we choose) it sits higher up so it really pops!

Would it be possible to purchase a diamond online and then have it placed into the setting from Kays? (the link for this setting is in one of my previous posts).

What would be the care plan on this to cover the diamond (say) if it ever fell out? :/

Thanks again everyone for ALL your help! We really appreciate it!

brellymom

Shiny_Rock
The setting you have chosen is very lovely - I can see why you are reluctant to 'walk away' from it. The challenge you have is to stick with that setting, as is, and likely accept a lower quality stone, or to select a higher quality stone and find a similar setting or work with a vendor to custom make a setting using the one you love as an inspiration. I echo the sentiments of the others - i strongly encourage you to keep researching. I have had great luck finding a stone at a B&M vendor at comparable prices to online vendors - but you have to do your homework. And it's usually a high end jeweler, not a mall outlet like Kay's. I am extremely confident that you can find a phenomenal stone, better in quality AND price than what you'll get at Kay's, and probably get a lovely setting from an online vendor. Surprisingly, you may even find a custom setting is not much more (or even as) costly as the one from Kay's. Keep doing your research - stay open minded, and good luck! Oh, and remind yourself that this is actually kinda fun!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results