shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with a yellow sapphire e-ring for under $1K

ElaineM

Rough_Rock
My sister is getting engaged to a wonderful man and I couldn't be happier for her! My job is to help her find an engagement ring for under $1,000. Sapphire is her birthstone, she loves the color yellow, and she likes a delicate halo in yellow gold. Using the fantastic information I have gleaned as a long time PS lurker, I'm recommending that we do the following:

- Contact a few precision lapidaries to locate or custom order a 2-3 carat yellow sapphire in a true yellow to even pastel yellow with no orange (her color preference). Heated or even BE treated is OK, given our very limited budget. Ideally it would be round and in a calibrated size for under $500.

- Once we have the stone (and love it!), order a setting from one of the trusted eBay vendors, most likely the LOGR below with upgraded diamonds in 18K yellow gold. Have the ring modified to fit the stone as needed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250837673310?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Does anyone have any redflags about this plan? I welcome your wisdom!

preferredsetting.JPG

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Re: Please help me with a yellow sapphire e-ring for under $

I don't have a LOGR setting, but lots of pave may be difficult to wear everyday as an ering if your sister is not very careful. If she plans on wearing it everyday, and is hard on her rings, she should be ready to do yearly maintenance to check prongs and replace melee if one or more have fallen out.

ElaineM

Rough_Rock

Thank you, pregcurious. Good point.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This may be something you've already considered, but a number of LOGR semi-mounts are rather light in metal weight and may not be the best choice for an ER if meant to be worn daily or as a forever ring.

If you are contacting lapidaries, I would suggest also contacting Michael E with your budget and your stone and setting preferences -- he cuts gemstones but also is a jeweler who can create his own settings or use stock pieces from Stuller or Adwar... If you do a search on PS you'll come across a number of beautiful pieces he has done for PSers. http://gemshoppe.com/ Even if you source the sapphire elsewhere, perhaps he can recommend/make a similar setting that would be more enduring.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would also consider DanielM from etsy.com for a setting. He created a solitaire setting for a very reasonable price, for an OEC I bought for my mum. She wears it as an engagement ring and it stands up to daily wear really well.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Michael E would probably be a good one to contact...however an estate piece might get you to fartherest within the budget. I would consider the piece below. I think it's a great deal even if she wanted to get a nicer sapphire and put it in the same setting later:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yellow-Sapphire-and-Diamond-Ring-18K-Gold-Antique-Style-/250710848252?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3a5f87f2fc

also an option but I'd want a better picture:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tacori-Engagement-Ring-w-Yellow-Sapphire-Center-Stone-/270804951903?pt=Wedding_Sets&hash=item3f0d3ba35f

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock

I got a quote from DanielM recently and it was higher than a similar BGD setting in a more expensive metal. I was really surprised! It'd still be worth a shot to get a quote.

ElaineM

Rough_Rock

Thank you for these helpful ideas! I can't wait to look into all of your suggestions. And keep them coming if anyone has other ideas. Thank you again - I'm so grateful for the help!

kt

Shiny_Rock

I just wanted to say that I just got that EXACT setting you have pictured but in a cushion shape for a spinel I have. It's definitely not strong enough for an every day wear e-ring - it's very thin, light and I'd be scared of losing the melee. I'd go for something more substantial, just my $0.02!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

I'm just going to +1 on rethinking a lot of pave at that pricepoint for an everyday forever ring.

I would also avoid BE diffused stone. You can probably get something heat-only in your pricepoint without resorting to BE.

Another +1 for Michael E. He can probably cut you a great stone and set you up with a high quality forever setting, maybe even with some diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results