shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me select the correct diamond.. Much obliged!!!

taffylo

Rough_Rock
So I have searched myself silly on this site and many others. I know I am only planning on purchasing a GIA cert ROUND diamond.

With that being said, I went ring shopping this past weekend with the lady and purchased the setting of her choice. Due to the settings having side stones, a 1.5 carat looks perfect in it, anything smaller kind of just blends in and it looks like a cluster of diamonds.

My budget on the center is about 5-6k.
What I want is something with fire, sparkle and eye clean. So when my fiancee is sitting on amongst her friends comparing rings, hers doesnt look inferior.

I went to a jeweler while searching for a setting and he ran a little test on me in hopes of trying to sell me a diamond. He put two diamonds side by side and saying one was 12k and one was 8k. Both the same size, one a gia cert and the other "in house by a gia graduate." (I know, I know that means nothing)

When I told him both diamonds looked identical to me without a loop and I couldnt tell him which the GIA cert 12k was, he said the 8k 1.5 carat was graded in house and a "K" color. The other was an "I". Looking very closely, honestly I couldnt see the yellow tint in comparison. It got me thinking that maybe I could save some money buying a excellent cut K color. I even went back and had him show me both diamonds again and honestly, still I couldnt see a color difference. Now if that diamond really was a K color or not, I dont know. It doesnt have a certification.

Based on that I have narrowed my search down to this diamond:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.54-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-683178

A very fair price and clean diamond. The only thing that worrys me is that with the setting, the diamond may appear yellowish due to the other diamonds. Here is the setting I purchased:

http://design.jared-diamonds.com/Item/R999562375509/sc/

Thoughts?

Thank you

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: Please help me select the correct diamond.. Much obliged

taffylo|1450753380|3964603 said:
With that being said, I went ring shopping this past weekend with the lady and purchased the setting of her choice. Due to the settings having side stones, a 1.5 carat looks perfect in it, anything smaller kind of just blends in and it looks like a cluster of diamonds.

It may help those who can offer advice here on PS to know the color of the side stones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

WOW. Um a whole bunch of issues. First a question or two:
Did she pick out that setting?
Can you return the setting?
Does she have a Pinterest Board?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would not advise buying that stone. The inclusion will probably be eye-visible. And the angle combo is not a good one unless you can confirm it with a IS and you can't until the beginning of the year.

As for what I think you should get instead, that depends on the answer to the questions above.

Are you aware that setting says it cannot be set with a 1.5 carat stone? It specifically says it needs a .95-1.25 carat stone.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your budget is around 5~6k and you want a diamond, 1.5 carat or larger.

With these limitations, some compromise is unavoidable.
And the compromise you have made is cut quality and color. True, the stone is GIA XXX. But the truth is the proportions are less than ideal, and the light performance may be compromised as well.

So... imagine. The centre stone may appear yellowish and dull/dark compare to those sidestones. If you find this to be desirable and can live with it, go ahead with this K stone. Otherwise, you would appreciate inputs from other forum members..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy and I are thinking the same thing usually, so I really don't need to comment. But it's never a good idea to actually buy the setting first. Yes, a K color stone is going to look really tinted if those stones in the setting are around G-H which is typical. The good news is, if the setting is designed for a 1-1.25 ct stone, you can look at 1-1.25 cts in a better color.

I agree with her to return that setting if you can, because I think someone like David Klass can make it for less than that.

taffylo

Rough_Rock

Yes, she picked the setting. She wanted to pick the setting and wants me to do the rest "center stone" on my own. We spent weeks going to jewelers in search of the perfect setting and this one she just loves. So to answer your question, I suppose it can be returned but she loves it.

I didnt see the .95-1.25 center stone on there until now. Thats actually kind of funny, they were pushing me to buy a 1.5 carat in store and were showing me how small a 1.25 looked. I havent actually taken delivery on the setting yet as they couldnt size it due to the design and had to order me another ring in the correct size. They said it will take about 2-3 weeks so that gives me a chance to change my mind.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh that is great news!!! David Klass is excellent and I'll bet can beat that price!! Cancel it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

taffylo

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1450760565|3964653 said:
Gypsy and I are thinking the same thing usually, so I really don't need to comment. But it's never a good idea to actually buy the setting first. Yes, a K color stone is going to look really tinted if those stones in the setting are around G-H which is typical. The good news is, if the setting is designed for a 1-1.25 ct stone, you can look at 1-1.25 cts in a better color.

I agree with her to return that setting if you can, because I think someone like David Klass can make it for less than that.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is David Klass?
I did contact an online dealer selling a GIA certified stone, when I spoke with him and showed a picture of the setting, he said he could make the same setting but better for $2500 and he would use better quality stones. Which would then allow me to increase my budget on the center stone to about 7500-8k, getting what I want.

Im not sure if I am breaking any rules by posting his link on here, but I apologize in advance if I am and I will edit it out. His site is "bestdiamondsearch.com". However, although he has reviews on his site, I am very skeptical about sending money to a random person in hopes I get what I am looking for.

Is there a direction someone could point me in?

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay so. Don't return the setting.

Call them tomorrow and see if the head can hold a 1.5 carat stone, and specifically point out what their own website says.

In the meantime, put this stone on hold if your budget can stretch to afford it:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.58-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-618082

If the it can't take a larger head, then you will need a smaller stone. And I'm going to suggest one of these:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.22-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-762222
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.22-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-762223

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy, I am betting David Klass will do that setting for a good bit less than $3700 +tax.

Jared doesn't care whether the diamond fits right, they wanted to sell a larger stone! Although the stone might not have been well cut and faced up smaller than a 1.5 should. They are too overpriced!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

taffylo|1450761425|3964658 said:
His site is "bestdiamondsearch.com".
Thanks

Yeah. Don't use them.

David Klass is a jeweler in LA many pricescopers use for custom work that is affordably priced and high quality. You can go that route if you wish. He is trust worthy.

Diamondseeker:
Yes, he can probably do that for less than that price. But at the same time, she picked that one. And there is no information on the website as to what point size those diamonds are, and I doubt the OP knows that information. So I wouldn't want the proportions to be off and her to be disappointed. I want her to get what she wants.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know, but David Klass does this every single day. Most people come in with a design in mind (pictures) and he does it and he does it very well from what I have seen. In fact, I think he can do it better than the Jared ring which is overpriced for what they are getting, probably. I didn't see diamond specs on the webpage.

I think he can easily figure it out. It says the ring is 6.75mm wide and the total carat weight is 1 3/8 cts.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1450762018|3964667 said:
I know, but David Klass does this every single day. Most people come in with a design in mind (pictures) and he does it and he does it very well from what I have seen. In fact, I think he can do it better than the Jared ring which is overpriced for what they are getting, probably. I didn't see diamond specs on the webpage.

I think he can easily figure it out. It says the ring is 6.75mm wide and the total carat weight is 1 3/8 cts.

For me, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We'll see if the OP wants to take the chance on it.

taffylo

Rough_Rock

I have decided to stick with the setting. I'm just going to purchase a diamond online and have jared put it in the setting. Based on the setting could someone help me find the best diamond for my money on a 6-7k budget. Looking for a 1.5 ct or even a bit smaller thats face up 1.5 with fire and sparkle. I do have another 3 weeks before i get the setting so if you find a great deal on an eye clean diamond in my budget, please keep me in mind.
Much appreciated!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Did you call the jeweler and ask if that setting can hold a diamond of that size? That was your homework. ;))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

taffylo

Rough_Rock

Lol, I did call and they said exactly what I expected them to say... "I just talked to our jeweler and he said, "of course we can set a bigger diamond in there! Any size you want, its just a matter of swapping out the head which is very simple and easy.""

With that being said, someone did recommend this diamond to me which was around 7k if I remember correctly, but its sold..

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.50-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-772235

Every time I think I have found a good diamond calculating the hca score, checking the depth and table to the charts on pricescope. Im told its a not so great diamond. So Ive just come to the conclusion that finding a good diamond is over my head.

Ideally I would like to stay within my budget in hopes of finding a great stone for that setting at around 1.5 carats in the next two weeks... But if I cant, then I guess I'll have to spend what I have to when the ring arrives.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I do remember reading somewhere that if you have a stone of lower color, "J" or so with light fluorescence in the diamond, it makes the diamond appear to have less color??

I really appreciate your time and help Gypsy. It means a lot!

Thank you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's not over anyone's head.

Stick to tables 60% and under.
Stick to depths from 59-62.4
Stick to crown angle: 33.5-36
Stick to pavilion angles: 40.6-40.9 (although 41 could work with a crown angle 33.5-34).
Make sure the crown angle compliments the pavillion angle (HCA will tell you that). But generally the steeper the pavillion angle (so 40.8 and 41 for example) will pair out with a shallower crown angle (so 34). A steep crown (35.5) and a steep pavillion (40.8 and up) will usually score over 2 unless the table and depth are perfect.

But yes, those of us who have been here a while do find it easier to do this, as we have it memorized.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you are okay with J (I really advise I or better, but what can you do):

Most budget friendly:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-769195

Guaranteed performance:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.53-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-762220

Right at budget and size requested :
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.50-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-825986

Personal favorite and the one I advise you to purchase or at least put on hold NOW (before someone snatches it):
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.41-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-818240

Putting diamonds on hold is no cost no obligation. But your top 3 on hold and keep them there and pick between then.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Steep deep. HCA over 2, most likely.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

Big mistake not going with David Klass many on PS have experience in the swapped out heads not always a clean and beautiful end result - if I was fiance I would want a designer ring especially created for the chosen diamond not one made to badly fit :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results