shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick one

purplemelody

Rough_Rock
Hi! As you probably remember, I've posted earlier about finding a light pink cushion spinel. Well I did some research and sent out a lot of emails, and have no luck finding one. So I've decided to look for something else like a Malaya garnet or a lavender spinel, but still no luck. Then I come across this gem site and found these little pretty ms. pinkies.

My problem is ... they all look very similar (colour, size, shape wise). So ... I need your help to pick one out please? ;))
How are these stones? I have no idea how to pick a good stone, as I see some pink spinels (even light colours) that has a high price tag, but some bubblepink spinels that go for much less. If anyone knows where I could find a nice cushion light pink spinel, please do direct me there. :)

These all range from 1ct to 1.5ct, and are pictures from the vendor. I didn't ask where these spinels are from and if they are treated ... are these questions that I should ask? And has anyone bought from Gemart before?

Thank you!

KiKi_Spinels_014.jpg

KiKi_Spinels_013.jpg

KiKi_Spinels_009.jpg

KiKi_Spinels_006.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

purplemelody

Rough_Rock
hi tourmaline lover :)
Thank you for answering and providing me links. The two spinels you've posted are actually very nice!!!
My budget for a precision cut is $400-$600, and others $300 below? Does it sound realistic?
Someone quoted me $1000-2000 for a 2 ct nice pink spinel. It was out of my budget ... so I lowered my requirements.

Are cushion spinels not very popular or sell well? I don't see them often.

Their website: http://www.gemartservices.com/index.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplemelody said:
hi tourmaline lover :)
Thank you for answering and providing me links. The two spinels you've posted are actually very nice!!!
My budget for a precision cut is $400-$600, and others $300 below? Does it sound realistic?
Someone quoted me $1000-2000 for a 2 ct nice pink spinel. It was out of my budget ... so I lowered my requirements.

Are cushion spinels not very popular or sell well? I don't see them often.

Their website: http://www.gemartservices.com/index.html

I actually prefer the ones I've posted to the ones that you have posted. Although I do like Jerry and he cuts some awesome gems, I feel that the ones I posted are much better deals, based on the photos. They are also very well cut, as well as some precision cut stones I've seen. I own several pink spinels from that vendor, and I am very happy with them, as well as the cutting on some of them. As for cushion spinels, they do exist, but ovals tend to be a popular shape for spinels. I prefer the second stone, based on your budget. You're looking for a light pink gem, correct?

When you say $1000-2000 for a 2 ct "nice pink" spinel, was the color a hot pink? If the color was a hot pink, or more towards a red, it is priced higher because the color is more saturated (more intense). How was the color on that stone? Are you also open to a hot pink color? Exactly what shade of pink do you want?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi purplemelody! May I know if it must be a cushion? I do agree that the 2nd link that TL provided is much prettier piece. JMO, I will not pay too much for a pastel pink spinel:)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked the second stone as well. In real life they look pretty bright and lively.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Agree, the second link is for a lovely stone...if you are interested you should not let it get bought out from under you.

Laura

purplemelody

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your inputs, I've pulled the trigger on the stone Tourmaline Lover and everyone recommended! Yay! ::)
Even though it's not a medium peachy-pink colour that I'm looking for, I've already fallen in love with this one. I can't wait to receive it!
Everyone has been very helpful, thank u very much. <3

I've found the setting that I'd like for this pretty pink spinel. Would it (8.1mm x 6.7mm) fit in a 6x8mm setting, or a 7x9mm setting? I'm such a noob. :lol:

Tourmaline_lover: The vendor didn't have an actual stone or rough, I asked him roughly how much would it be for a 2ct light pink spinel and he said a really nice one would be $1000-2000. He has a Mahenge spinel rough on hand, but I didn't want hot pink. I think the one you recommended is a great shade of pink that I like. Thank you :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplemelody said:
Thanks everyone for your inputs, I've pulled the trigger on the stone Tourmaline Lover and everyone recommended! Yay! ::)
Even though it's not a medium peachy-pink colour that I'm looking for, I've already fallen in love with this one. I can't wait to receive it!
Everyone has been very helpful, thank u very much. <3

I've found the setting that I'd like for this pretty pink spinel. Would it (8.1mm x 6.7mm) fit in a 6x8mm setting, or a 7x9mm setting? I'm such a noob. :lol:

Tourmaline_lover: The vendor didn't have an actual stone or rough, I asked him roughly how much would it be for a 2ct light pink spinel and he said a really nice one would be $1000-2000. He has a Mahenge spinel rough on hand, but I didn't want hot pink. I think the one you recommended is a great shade of pink that I like. Thank you :)

Purplemelody,
I am glad that you liked that stone, and I hope you love it even more in person. Yes, some Mahenge spinel can be $1K/ct depending on the quality. If you don't like hot pink, that's a good thing for your wallet! ;)) :bigsmile:

I would get a 7 x 9 mm setting, unless your jeweler is very good at fitting a large stone in a small setting. Not all jewelers are.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results