shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick my five stone setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I have two proposals for my OEC five stone ring. I really like both although they are totally different. I need your opinions on what you would do.

The first would be done by my local jeweler. It is an adopted Stuller design made to fit my five stones. I love the antique look and the filigree on the setting.

The second would be done by Wink and a new jeweler he has. It is Orbaya''s design, of which I love the open profile of the stone, but the top would just look like a shared prong setting.

Besides deciding on which design I want, I have to decide on metal. 14k gold is easily the most affordable, and that has a great attraction. Platinum would be wonderful but is over 3x the price of gold.

What would you do? Filigree or U-prong? White gold or Platinum? I have one week to make this decision before the estimates expire. Please help me decide!

fivestoneproposal.jpg

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Ow man that is a hard one isn''t it.

Well I think because the stones are OEC it would look perfect in the first setting because it has that antique look to it. I am not a huge fan of yellow gold but think in Platinum or white gold it would be beautiful. I love the U prong and am very partial to it because it gives the stones a chance to shine themselves but just wonder if the cut of stone would be more shown off in the first one!

Hmmm curious to see what everyone else thinks. Well good luck and make sure you post the finished jewel, I cannot wait to see it!

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
I like the filigree and platinum to go with your five OEC stones. They both go with the era. The U-shaped ring looks too modern for the OEC stones.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I l
30.gif
ve that Stuller mounting! I''ve never seen that one before. The design is gorgeous ESPECIALLY for OECs.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Surprising thus far. Anybody else willing to add their opinion?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I was soooo about to say the second setting hands down (I love, love, love settings where you get a full view of the stone), but then I realized you have OECs and that makes it hard because I do love old cuts in antiquey settings.

But, I think I''m going to go with my 1st instict and dare to be different here - if I had OECs, I''d want to see the full beauty of those chunky cuts, and I think the stuller setting hides a lot of the stone from view. My vote is for #2.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Wow, both gorgeous rings... but such DIFFERENT styles. Which "look" is more *you*? What style is most complimentary to your other jewelry? A agree that the first style would be gorgeous with OECs, but if your style tends to be more modern, then I''d definitely go with Orbaya''s.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I vote for the filligree. i don''t think the second design will work for OECs as generally the OECs are going to be uneven in size/depth and it may not look good from the side of the ring (where the U s are) once it has been set. The second design will look better with modern cut diamonds where all the cut will look "even" or the same, know what I mean?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normally I would say the U-prong, but I think the first setting would look perfect with your OEC''s.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 8:41:04 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
Normally I would say the U-prong, but I think the first setting would look perfect with your OEC''s.
Ditto. In platinum
30.gif

DD

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going to agree that the antique setting would look better with those stones, but I would have to have some assurance from the jeweler that they will fit properly in that setting. If you spend the money for platinum, I sure wouldn''t buy a setting that was not a perfect fit. I really think you should consider going custom if you decide to go with platinum.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 9:33:16 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''m going to agree that the antique setting would look better with those stones, but I would have to have some assurance from the jeweler that they will fit properly in that setting. If you spend the money for platinum, I sure wouldn''t buy a setting that was not a perfect fit. I really think you should consider going custom if you decide to go with platinum.
I agree!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
The quote for the filigree ring, which I think I am leaning toward (especially with the point made by simplysplendid), is from my local jeweler who would do a custom CAD/CAM to fit my stones using the Stuller as a model.

dinsky

Rough_Rock
I just had a 5 stone ring made and I looove it. I also have an OEC 1.75 M color e-ring which I love so I am familiar with both the diamonds and the settings available for 5 stone rings. I suggest you look into a trellis style for your OEC''s it is a good balance between the vintage and the ultra-modern and think it will show off the diamonds beautifully, whatever you choose will be lovely OEC''s have so much character and fire in the right light.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
dinsky, do you have any pictures of your trellis? I'd love to see them!

There is this trellis setting from Adwar. I don't think it would need any modification. Wonder what the price would be in platinum?

adwarfivestonetrellisformyoecs.jpg

dinsky

Rough_Rock
I don''t have any photos as I am camera challenged. My trellis setting which was designed by a local jeweler (HIghland Park, Il.) is slightly different, it has a center "U" shaped prong configeration with the additional prongs fanning outwards from the center, a more symmetrical design that I like, it also has very tiny baskets to secure the diamonds because I am very hard on my hands. A trellis for your diamonds would be perfect because you can see the lovely diamonds from the side and there is not alot of gold interfering with the look of the diamonds from the top. good luck, There are some very good 5 stone setting threads on this site which have photos of trellis and 5 stone designs.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think that filigree setting is absolutely stunning, but I think I actually prefer the U prong design.

I realize that i am the exception to the majority on this one, but if i had five beautiful stones like that, i''d want to see as much of them as i could regardless of the cut. So my vote is for WG or Platinum U-prong setting.

Either way, I look forward to seeing the finished product - cheers!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the filigree for OEC''s. That setting is so beautiful. I think it would show the uniqueness of the stones better than the modern minimal look.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I love the filagree! So pretty with OECs and in WG/Plat!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2008 10:23:40 PM
Author: Upgradable
The quote for the filigree ring, which I think I am leaning toward (especially with the point made by simplysplendid), is from my local jeweler who would do a custom CAD/CAM to fit my stones using the Stuller as a model.
Oh good!!! I''d recommend looking through the Van Craeynest site just to see if you get any more design ideas.

http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.html

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Oh, diamondseeker, that was a gorgeous surf through VanCraynest''s site!!

I don''t know if it would make any sense, but if I were asked for my two favorite designers I''d have to say Mark Morrell and VanCraynest. Isn''t that contradictory?

sera

Ideal_Rock
LOVE that filigree... so pretty. I love it in the yellow gold and would love it in platinum as well.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
I love the filigree-particularly in the YG but I am biased....
31.gif

Can''t wait to see the finished product!
30.gif

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable, I would vote for the antique setting ,
I have OEC''s 5 stone ring ( almost same size as yours) and 5 stone modern cut one.
my OEC is set in original antique setting but it''s simple 6 prong setting so it''s looks same as modern 5 stone basket setting
to the end. my OEC dose not look antique at all .
I want to change the setting something looks antique wich much with the diamond.

flowersoec.JPG

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
the setting. (compare)

settingoecandmod.JPG

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
front view.( top is OEC)

P1010221.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m still waiting for the quote on the filigree setting, but I''ve chosen all five stones and thought I share some pictures.

allfivestonescollage1.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Sorry the color is so yellow. Those are pictures without flash. When I used flash everything washed out totally. I kind of think it gives a vintage look though!

allfivestonescollage2.JPG

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I think you know what my choice is.
31.gif

Seriously though, I think the Stuller one is gorgeous too and I think that one might be best suited for OECs. I am a bit biased toward the U-prong though.

I'm flattered that you are considering my ring.
4.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhhhh, I just got the call with the quote on the filigree setting! Platinum is definitely out, over $3300! Even the 14k quote was nearly half that.

I''m hoping to get another quote. Otherwise I will be going with the U-prong (and you know I do love it, orbaya) and I might as well spring for the platinum since that was almost as much as the other in gold.

Keep your fingers crossed that I can get this darned project started soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results