shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick a carseat!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm debating between the Chicco Keyfit vs. Graco Snugride, which seem to get the best reviews. Also, is there any benefit to getting the infant carseats that carry up to 30-32 lbs (I think the Keyfit has a version that goes up to 30 lbs and the Snugride up to 32)? It seems not since by the time they're that heavy (I'm having twins) I wouldn't be able to use the Snap and Go stroller anyway, and I could still put them rear facing in the car with one of the Britax seats. Does anyone know if the infant carseats that fit the bigger kiddos are a lot heavier/bigger? Thanks!!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
We have the keyfit 30. I love it and more importantly so does Sophia. She falls asleep within minutes. Its awesome. There aren''t many styles to choose from so if style is important I personally think Graco is better. Also, we live on the second floor so I don''t see me using this car seat for too long since its already a hassle for me and she''s only 9lbs. The other thing about chicco that I don''t like is that the sunshade doesn''t really cover her well. That may not be a problem where you live though (we''re in Florida). But I do like how easy it is to install and how easy it is to put the seat in and take out. Honestly, I don''t think there''s a huge difference between Graco and Chicco except price (chicco is more expensive)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
for both our DDs we have the Graco, we like it, it does the job. i think by the time they are 30lbs that might be hard to lift in and out so I would rather have them front facing by then, and they would like to see around as well, at least my DD was like that, she was sooo done being rear facing and as soon as she could go front facing, that was it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my friend who is preggo asked her pal who is a nurse and she said that the one they recommend as the most safe is the SnugRide. from what i have read though re: US made carseats and manuf...they all have to conform to standards so would be safe, so not quite sure how much safer one is vs the other, but i am still reading.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chicco keyfits. SO SO SO much easier to use than the Gracos IMO. And just as safe.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
We have the graco one and love it. I chose it because I understand it''s the lightest and when you''re lifting a sleeping baby in and out of a car, the lighter the car seat the better.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My bff bought the Keyfit one for her daughter and RAVED about it. Her daughter liked it too. I think we had a Graco one for London, and we reused it for Trapper. I don''t know what model it was tho. It was hard to attach to the vehicle I remember.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Hi Peony!!! How are you feeling??

I have the Snugride, but can''t really comment on how they compare! I got these as a gift from my friend that had twins recently (and BARELY sued them)...so I didn''t research any others. I know she did research a TON and decided on the Snugrides!

Happy shopping :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so it's late. And maybe I'm a little teary-eyed from something I read on another thread or something.

And I look in at the threads in the family and home forum, and I see:

"Please help me pick a corset!"

23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

And I think to myself, dang, this family and home forum sure covers a lot of ground!

Carseat or corset, I'm afraid I the best I can do is wish you good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hear that after the baby some ladies ''bind'' themselves which apparently has to do with a lot of tight material and a CORSET (this is what my friend told me anyway) in order to help the belly go back to normal, so you potentially aren''t too far off, VRB!!!
5.gif

Is anyone else a little offput by the $150 price tags on these infant car seats that only go to about 6-7 months ??? Then you have to get the biggie one for up until ~4 years. Too bad there isn''t a fabulous hybrid (or is there?).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the cheapest, safest, lightest, least bulky seat (that you like out there) for the infant seat. It''s a short lifespan in terms of use. Save the money for the convertible (Britax, Maxi Cosi, whatever). Infant seats are NOT fun to lug as the baby gets bigger.

Unless snugride has changed, it''s known for not having the easiest base to install. Safeseat however is very easy BUT it''s bigger and bulkier. I bought it thinking I could use it longer, but these things made my kid hot and sweaty and that was MUCH improved when we switched to the convertible. They also are one of the leading causes of flathead (plagiocephaly) so it''s good not to get into the having of leaving them in there. If snugride had an easier to install base, I would have gone with that one. I liked the safeseat, but it was unnecessarily bulky for how long I used it (7 months).

I truly would not bother spending a lot on these seats, and for that reason I wouldn''t do the chicco. If you don''t mind paying more for the seat you want, then the chicco is a wonderful choice by all accounts.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Mara, there are some that go 5-80 pounds, but when they''re little it''s easier to have the carrier so you can pull a sleeping baby out and not have to actually unbuckle them. We have a Safety 1st convertable one, which we''ve transitioned him to at 5 months. I got it at Big Lots of all places, for $80. The same one goes for $150 at BRU.

For an infant seat, I just used the one that came with my Baby Trend travel system. It''s not very padded, but he slept in it plenty. I''d say to go play with the 2 your considering in the store and see which you prefer for weight and ease of snapping and un snapping from the base.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We loved out Chicco and more importantly so did T! She slept great in that car seat and we kept her in it for a LONG, LONG time. When she got too heavy (around 8 months of so) I just left the infant seat in the car and used our umbrella stroller/shopping cart. I will say I regret getting the travel system and would avoid ANY travel system and just buy everything individually.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved the Chiccokeyfit! I used it until Jake was 6-7 months. I actually have the travel system and love it, but I''m a cup holder freak and love cup holders for myself and for the baby. I also have a van so the size of the fold-up stroller isn''t an issue. I have the Britax Roundabout car seat for him now.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
We used the Graco & loved it. Now that I''m pregnant again, we''re planning on using it for baby #2 as well.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
The infant carseats with higher weight limits are heavier and bulkier. However, I think most babies grow out length-wise before growing out weight-wise, so you may not be looking at 30-32 lbs of use if you''re trying to think about how heavy they''d be to carry. Although it''s still pretty heavy with G at 16 lbs.

We have the Chicco and love it. The Chicco base is really easy to install and take out, which has been useful lately with grandparents in town. I also found the buckle a lot easier to do than the Gracos. I think they also have the smallest lower weight limit, which is something to consider if you''re carrying twins - although I hope that you don''t need to end up worrying about that!!

I''d go to BRU or somewhere else that lets you take them to your car and make sure that both fit in your smallest vehicle before deciding though - that''s what ruled out the Snugride for us.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 8:57:08 PM
Author: neatfreak
Chicco keyfits. SO SO SO much easier to use than the Gracos IMO. And just as safe.

Just curious what about the Chicco is easier to use? I find the Graco pretty easy. Unfortunately, my son hates it, but that is another story. He also hates the Peg seat that we tried, so I think it''s him, not the seat.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 10:26:35 PM
Author: TanDogMom

Just curious what about the Chicco is easier to use? I find the Graco pretty easy. Unfortunately, my son hates it, but that is another story. He also hates the Peg seat that we tried, so I think it''s him, not the seat.

Personally I think it''s easier to install and adjust. It''s a personal preference but I find it MUCH easier.

And Peony it is also worth mentioning that Chicco''s have significantly (4lbs vs. 5lbs) lower weight limits...which is important if you have preemies or even full term babies with lower birthweights (one of my guys was under 5 lbs even though we went full term). If you don''t have a carseat that legally will go down that far the hospital won''t let you leave with them until you get a seat that will fit them (or use a car bed which is a PITA).

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 10:46:14 PM
Date: 8/17/2009 10:26:35 PM

Author: TanDogMom

Personally I think it''s easier to install and adjust. It''s a personal preference but I find it MUCH easier.

And Peony it is also worth mentioning that Chicco''s have significantly (4lbs vs. 5lbs) lower weight limits...which is important if you have preemies or even full term babies with lower birthweights (one of my guys was under 5 lbs even though we went full term). If you don''t have a carseat that legally will go down that far the hospital won''t let you leave with them until you get a seat that will fit them (or use a car bed which is a PITA).

Good to know! I never really looked at the Chicco that closely. I am glad you guys are happy with it! Thanks for the info on the Beaba on the other thread too, I appreciate your review!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
we have the snugride (the newer one that goes up to 30+ lbs) and love it. This is my 3rd snugride car seat. My son is 9.5 months, weighs 23 lbs and still fits comfortably in the snugride. That's great because I pop the seat in the snap n go frame and off we go around the city in a taxi (If I need). BTW he's 30 inches long and fits rear facing. This snugride is a little heavier but not a lot. I think it's worth the $$ since you can use this one longer than the reg. snugrides

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results