shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me out - is this diamond alright?

leesey

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I'm new around here!

I've recently started the search for a half carat diamond, and came across this one:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.50-carat-k-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-917410

On paper, it sounds good. The video makes it look good - I checked the HCA on it and it scores a 1.3. I do spot the feathers, however, it's super zoomed so it's understandable. And the colour is good for me. I haven't asked for the ASET yet.

Does this one seem like good value for the price, or would I be better off at looking at something that's a VS1 or VS2?

I've tried to do my research on diamonds, but in the end, I'm still pretty new to this all.

I appreciate any and all help :)

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi :wavey: - I'm in the trade so I can't speak about this stone in particular - but one comment I'd make is that, even if you're ok with a K colour, you might want to check if you're comfortable with a brown body colour rather than a yellow tint? Some people don't care either way, and some prefer one over the other - but you might want to have that squared away in your own mind before making any purchase.
Also, with SI2 inclusions, if you can find something off the table, that's light in colour and not too solid, you're probably going to be fine in a 1/2ct stone - remember, live it's only going to be about 5mm in size - - and if it's an inclusion that's on the girdle, a claw may help to cover a bit of it up.
Hope this helps.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is unusually clean for SI2. I cannot locate the clarity-determining feather inclusion(s), although I see small ones here and there.

I would ask the exact location for the feather(s) and see if it has any durability issue.

Besides that, a nice looking 0.5c far below 1k

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
flyingpig|1459993412|4016426 said:
It is unusually clean for SI2. I cannot locate the clarity-determining feather inclusion(s), although I see small ones here and there.

I would ask the exact location for the feather(s) and see if it has any durability issue.

Besides that, a nice looking 0.5c far below 1k

Hey flyingpig :wavey: - 1 o'clock on the girdle / 230ish...not quite 3 o'clock on girdle runing into the stone / 4 o'clock on the girdle

leesey

Rough_Rock
ADN|1459992626|4016421 said:
Hi :wavey: - I'm in the trade so I can't speak about this stone in particular - but one comment I'd make is that, even if you're ok with a K colour, you might want to check if you're comfortable with a brown body colour rather than a yellow tint? Some people don't care either way, and some prefer one over the other - but you might want to have that squared away in your own mind before making any purchase.
Also, with SI2 inclusions, if you can find something off the table, that's light in colour and not too solid, you're probably going to be fine in a 1/2ct stone - remember, live it's only going to be about 5mm in size - - and if it's an inclusion that's on the girdle, a claw may help to cover a bit of it up.
Hope this helps.

Thanks! I actually prefer brown to yellow. I love the stones that have a pink tone to the brown as well. But I realize that brown and grey are often considered less than desirable in a diamond.

It'll be set in a rose gold vintage looking setting, too, so I'm hoping they complement each other well :D

I appreciate the helpful information!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results