shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find this!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
My uncle gave DH and I a Marquis Waterford "marriage bowl" for our wedding gift. It came with a little story... I *think* it said it was an Irish tradition to give one to the newly weds and that as long as the bowl was safe (not damaged, etc), then the marriage would be good. I tried searching for one because my sister-in-law is getting engaged soon and we thought it would be a good wedding gift for them but I''m having NO luck finding one anywhere. I assume ours was newly purchased when he gave it to us last May but I couldn''t find them on the Waterford website, ebay, or yahoo. There is a wedding heirloom bowl but its just not the same and doesn''t have the little story that ours came with. Can anyone help me locate this bowl? Ours is footed, about 8" tall, and scalloped across the top with some decoration on the side. I hope they still sell them and that I''m just going crazy and don''t see it or something. Thanks!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Oobie, I married into an Irish family and giving a Waterford crystal bowl is indeed an Irish wedding tradition for the new couple. We received one for a gift.

From what I understand, the tradition encompasses any of the Waterford patterns that the couple likes. Marquis is one such pattern and I was able to find a Marquis pattern online. I don''t know if it looks like what you have in mind but the link is:

http://www.homeclick.com/1/1/63044-marquis-by-waterford-sheridan-bowl-10.html

If you would like some other things to think about, Waterford also makes crystal bells and the bell is also an irish tradition that a couple''s argument must come to an immediate end with a kiss when one of the couple "rings the bell". If you would like to find out more about gift ideas and traditions, these are sites that I shop at both in the store and online.

irishongrand.com or irishindeed.com

Good luck with your search!

Julie

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I really appreciate all of the replies! I was under the impression that the bowl we were given was actually called a "Marriage Bowl"... like that was the pattern or something. I looked around ebay some more and actually found our bowl and its called "Canterbury". So now I''m wondering why our bowl came with the marriage bowl tradition story... do ALL Waterford bowls come with that or something? It was printed by Waterford so its not like my uncle just wrote it up and put it in the box, you know?

luckystar: I LOVE that seahorse bowl! Its definitely on the list of contenders... thanks!
jmtomaui: Thanks for the info on the bowl tradition and the bell. I''ll check out the links.
sparklz: Thanks for the suggestion. I like that that one comes with the story.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Oobie, I don''t know where you live but if you have any irish shops in the area, they would more than likely be able to help you. The heritage wedding pattern is the one that keeps popping up in my searches so that may be the one most people think of.

As you shop, you may find that the stores have the cards that can be enclosed with any pattern of bowl.

Waterford itself is undergoing bankruptcy issues so I don''t know if anyone at the factory would be able to help much but it may be an option.

I hope you find what you are looking for. I think it is a lovely tradition and one that could be passed on down to each of the sons and daughters in the families as they get married.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 4:21:50 PM
Author: jmtomaui
Oobie, I don''t know where you live but if you have any irish shops in the area, they would more than likely be able to help you. The heritage wedding pattern is the one that keeps popping up in my searches so that may be the one most people think of.

As you shop, you may find that the stores have the cards that can be enclosed with any pattern of bowl.

Waterford itself is undergoing bankruptcy issues so I don''t know if anyone at the factory would be able to help much but it may be an option.

I hope you find what you are looking for. I think it is a lovely tradition and one that could be passed on down to each of the sons and daughters in the families as they get married.
While it would be nice, we don''t have any Irish shops here in the Texas Hill Country lol. We have a Waterford/Wedgwood outlet store and they didn''t know of any "marriage bowl" when I asked, but maybe they have some of the cards with the story sitting around that they forgot about or something. I think we will wait and see if they happen to register for any crystal and then try to find a bowl that goes with the other pieces and just print out the story to include with it. Or if I see a good deal on a pretty pattern I might pick one up sooner. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions!
1.gif

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
The marriage story is applicable to any waterford bowl. (Or any brand, I guess. I've just always given a waterford bowl as that's the only brand I've seen which can be purchased and packed with the explanation.) The tradition simply applies to giving the couple a crystal bowl - not a particular pattern. Therefore, you could simply buy a lovely bowl and enclose a copy of the story. I know all the waterford outlets offer the story with crystal bowls. I don't think many authorized vendors (Macys, etc) have the story on hand, however.

ETA: I would act fairly quickly, though. The factory is currently closed due to bankruptcy. They are in discussions with one or two buyers but nothing is set in stone. Apparently, the workers aren't leaving yet because they are hopeful that a factory with experienced artisans will sell more readily than simply a factory. The waterford artisans apprentice for YEARS, so they aren't easily replaced.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Hi Oobiecoo!

I'm Irish, and I've gotten loads of Waterford crystal as engagement presents. It is a very common tradition, Waterford crystal is beautifully made and highly regarded. Haven't heard much about marriage bowls...but Waterford stuff does usually come with a story! I found this one on their website.

Just to let you know - it's looking like Waterford Crystal will be closing down, due to the bad economy. According to the news here there are talks of takeover bids, but I think the future of the company is looking gloomy. I say this because should the company close down, Waterford crystal will become more rare and valuable. Making it the perfect time to buy
1.gif

If you need any more help on it let me know! I'm well acquainted with it as an Irish bride
2.gif

ETA looks like we posted at the same time Munchkin!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I saw that Waterford had closed down but I am really hoping that they will find a buyer. It seems impossible that no one would want to purchase such a prestigious company. I''ll keep watching the story though because I will definitely buy up the whole store we have here if they don''t find a buyer for the company.
7.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
http://www.waterford.com/shop/collection.asp?id=873&cat=&terms=

Hubby gave me this one year for V-Day, sweet.

You could call Roberts Fine China and Crystal in Houston. I think they are on or near Memorial Drive.
Maybe Neiman Marcus would know something.
I was in the Waterford Outlet in San Marcos not too long ago, I''m sure they are nice folks, but sometimes I knew more than they did!

Strange you can''t find it though. I''m with you, maybe the "story" just got slipped in the bowl .
Can you email Waterford somehow?

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Bebe - It isn't actually a particular bowl. Waterford gives you that story to enclose with any crystal bowl you are giving to a couple. The "marriage bowl" refers to the tradition, not an actual product.

ETA They do have that gorgeous heirloom collection you have (I have the candlesticks and they are SO beautiful) but the OP likely couldn't find a particular product in the crystal line she was searching in because it only theoretically exists.

Am I babbling or am I making sense?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results