shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find peace of mind

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lakerdiamond

Rough_Rock
I went through a family friend (a wholesaler) to get an engagement ring for my girlfriend.

Did I get a good, decent, or bad deal?

The diamond is a round EGL-USA certified with the following stats:
1.70 CT
VS2
I Color
7.99-7.93x4.51mm
56.7% Depth
61% Table
10.8% Crown
42.7% Pavillion
Thin to Med Girdle
No Cutlet
Very Good Finish
Price = $9000 after tax added

I know the depth and table are not "ideal," but the diamond looked to me but I am by no means an expert.
40.gif

Please give me your honest advice. Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

Have you reversed the depth and table measurement? It would be more likely the depth is 61 and the table 56.7? If you could check that, it would help!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 4:44:25 AM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome
35.gif

Have you reversed the depth and table measurement? It would be more likely the depth is 61 and the table 56.7? If you could check that, it would help!
As large as it''s facing up, I''m thinking maybe not...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good catch El, good morning/ evening to you!!!
9.gif
That is facing up huge, so I bet you are right...Also I don't know how to convert % to angles with c and p, but I think the crown angle looks very shallow, which would fit with a shallow depth too
34.gif

Laker, if this is a done deal and you love the diamond, I wouldn't worry about it. If you wonder if you could have got a better cut, the answer is yes, but if your eyes tell you the diamond is beautiful then that is all that matters. If you are within the return period, then you could change it if you wished. Is this a done deal?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'm starting to think it's true that one needs something "higher" for true inner peace...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2007 5:14:38 AM
Author: JulieN
i''m starting to think it''s true that one needs something ''higher'' for true inner peace...
Sorry Julie, I am not following you?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 5:09:28 AM
9.gif
That is facing up huge, so I bet you are right...Also I don''t know how to convert % to angles with c and p, but I think the crown angle looks very shallow, which would fit with a shallow depth too
34.gif
Hey you! It''s very early AM here, can''t sleep.
32.gif

Yes, I was looking at the crown and pavillion depth and they do indeed look shallow.

Laker, have you seen a lot of diamonds, to compare to this one?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry you can''t sleep Ellen
24.gif
24.gif
Nice to have your company though!
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 5:21:57 AM
I am sorry you can''t sleep Ellen
24.gif
24.gif
Nice to have your company though!
35.gif
Me too....

35.gif

DBM

Shiny_Rock
It''s a spready stone for sure which compromises the "idealism" of cut but certainly gives by way of appearance.

7 grainers (i.e. 1.75 caraters) are very hard to find in the market right now and are selling at lower discounts on the wholesale boards than the other sizes. That, in addition to the unique cut of being a spready diamond has to be taken into consideration. In other words, besides for the issue of "is this a properly priced diamond as far as the list price of colors and clarities" there''s an issue of "could i have found another diamond like this in the market".

lakerdiamond

Rough_Rock
I already bought the diamond. The diamond clearly looks bigger (on the face) than a typical 1.7 ct.

I put the information through the Holloway Cut Adviser and got a result of 3.8, which is in the very good range.

The diamond has as mush sparkle as diamonds that are ideal. My main concern was on the price - $9000 for a 1.7ct, I, VS2 (assuming the cut is acceptable b/c accoridng to the naked eye, it is)

Please respond; Thank You.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price sounds okay for an EGL stone...not a good deal, but probably fair. Good cut I VS2 GIA stones sell for a little more than that, but you pay a little more for the reliability of the GIA cert.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif
That is facing up huge, so I bet you are right...Also I don''t know how to convert % to angles with c and p, but I think the crown angle looks very shallow, which would fit with a shallow depth too
34.gif

Laker, if this is a done deal and you love the diamond, I wouldn''t worry about it. If you wonder if you could have got a better cut, the answer is yes, but if your eyes tell you the diamond is beautiful then that is all that matters. If you are within the return period, then you could change it if you wished. Is this a done deal?
I *think* I know how to convert % to angles. It came out to CA 29 and PA 40.5 -- I''m not sure I''ve ever seen a crown angle that low before though, so maybe I made a mistake.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2007 5:48:42 PM
Author: jayrenay9

9.gif
34.gif

Laker, if this is a done deal and you love the diamond, I wouldn''t worry about it. If you wonder if you could have got a better cut, the answer is yes, but if your eyes tell you the diamond is beautiful then that is all that matters. If you are within the return period, then you could change it if you wished. Is this a done deal?
I *think* I know how to convert % to angles. It came out to CA 29 and PA 40.5 -- I''m not sure I''ve ever seen a crown angle that low before though, so maybe I made a mistake.

I guess maybe that is possible for the CA to be that low.....Jay, can you tell me the formula you used for that please, I would be really interested to know?
34.gif
This is something I have been wanting to know for a while.

lakerdiamond

Rough_Rock
I just got the diamond set in the setting i designed and am very happy with the appearance.

I compared it my friend''s 2ct, I, SI1 and they look very identical in size and appearance. I realize my stone only weighs 1.7ct but its table is very comparable to a 2ct.

I also know that the measurments and stats are not typical, but for some reason it really shines and stands out. I am not an expert like you all are, but this measurment combo really works! It maximizes size and appearance.

The only regret I have is with my color selection - I would prefer a more colorless stone.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you love it, that''s all that matters.
2.gif

Post pics if you can, and congrats!

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 4:45:49 PM
Author: lakerdiamond
I already bought the diamond. The diamond clearly looks bigger (on the face) than a typical 1.7 ct.

I put the information through the Holloway Cut Adviser and got a result of 3.8, which is in the very good range.

The diamond has as mush sparkle as diamonds that are ideal. My main concern was on the price - $9000 for a 1.7ct, I, VS2 (assuming the cut is acceptable b/c accoridng to the naked eye, it is)

Please respond; Thank You.
can''t comment on price. sorry.

you''re not the first customer i''ve met that is happy with the "spready cut" stone and satisfied with the light return even though by today''s trends the proportions are considered non-ideal. recently sold a 1 carater with a 55 depth and they loved it even in comparison side by side with a diamond of better proportions.

enjoy.

lakerdiamond

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 4:05:48 PM
Author: Ellen
2.gif

attached is a pictures i just took - the setting has a halo w/ round diamonds and 3 rows on the side of channel set princess cut diamonds - the total diamond wieght on the setting is over 2cts.

i took several other pictures but the file sizes are too large too upload on here.

100_015311.jpg

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 4:41:45 AM

9.gif
34.gif

I guess maybe that is possible for the CA to be that low.....Jay, can you tell me the formula you used for that please, I would be really interested to know?
34.gif
Lorelei,

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/an-easy-way-of-calculating-crown-and-pavilion-angles.20396/

There are step by step instructions in this thread.

jayrenay

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 7:07:05 PM
Author: lakerdiamond

Date: 1/27/2007 4:05:48 PM
Author: Ellen
2.gif

attached is a pictures i just took - the setting has a halo w/ round diamonds and 3 rows on the side of channel set princess cut diamonds - the total diamond wieght on the setting is over 2cts.

i took several other pictures but the file sizes are too large too upload on here.
Looks nice from what I can see. Resize the pics so we can see more!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2007 7:54:53 PM

Date: 1/27/2007 4:41:45 AM

9.gif
34.gif

34.gif
Lorelei,

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/an-easy-way-of-calculating-crown-and-pavilion-angles.20396/

There are step by step instructions in this thread.

jayrenay

Thanks, must have missed that thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results