shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find an OVAL.

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Following up on KKJohnson's post, here's a photo of a 1.5 ct with a small halo on a size 5 finger. I wanted you to see this depiction of a real life ring because it does not have a pave shank & I'm thinking that a plain shank might better suit a woman who's said she wants "simple and elegant" ;))
1.5 ct oval on size 5 ring finger.jpg

Your ring is beautiful! Thanks so much - definitely helps put it in perspective.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've seen the 1.53 in person. It was eyeclean and insanely glittery. The AVOs are so much more sparkly than a traditional oval, IMO. It's closer to the D/E/F range that you started with wanting and the price is excellent, which would leave you with plenty in your budget for a great setting and a wedding band.

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Still waiting to review the AVOs, but any thoughts on these potential settings? Would still want the ring to be set with 4 claw prongs, but unsure how to achieve this with the image 2.

1)
upload_2018-10-29_20-31-28.png

2)
3Carat-Solid-Gold-14K-Lotus-Flower-Shape-Vogue-CHARLES-COLVARD-Moissanite-Engagement-Ring-Long-Time-Last.jpg

3)
01p_ea9ff955-b455-4d10-af3f-6a1881dd6d84_800x.jpg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like #3 too.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I don't need to say which one I would choose! :mrgreen:
Just for the record, most of my jewelry collection, diamond and otherwise, is pre-owned. I think that many PSers can say the same. The Jubliee in the top ring of my avatar was a stone that was pre-owned and returned to Jonathan. I have been enjoying it for 11 years now!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The 1.53 is a higher G color than the 1.6 J (has your girl tried on a J colored diamond, there will be a yellow tint) I also don’t like the dark streak across the stone.

E1B2D7C0-2E03-493B-9B78-AAB77EFA4EEB.jpeg

Here is the ASET comparison between the 1.6 and 1.5, both have pros and cons. The 1.5 has more red which means it’s going to sparkle like crazy but it also has some black which means there is a tiny bit of light leakage (I haven’t seen it in person but others have and all say they loved it), while the 1.6 has a lot more blue throughout the stone meaning the flashes won’t be as brilliant and again that streak really bothers me.

A9971599-D3A1-4CFA-9DE3-15720A522973.jpeg

For me the 1.53 and 2.01 are cut better than the 1.6, I like the 2.01 I color over the 1.6 J color (I color is safe for people who not color sensitive but it’s a larger stone so you might see slight color warmth in some lighting; also this is a far cry from the D/E/F you were first wanting). Lastly for the 1.53 I like the G color (will be white diamond) and even with it being Si1 the people who have seen it in person all say it is eye clean.

I still think it’s between the 1.53 and 2 ct., but then again 4K is a big price jump and that 4K could be spent on the setting instead. Can Jon not get a video comparing them all together? Also I’m wondering if he can send them to an appraiser for you to look at in person? Sometime people have had that done, they have diamonds shipped prior to purchase to view to a mediator and then whatever stones are rejected get sent back to the dealer.

Preowned is not a big deal

YoManila

Rough_Rock
The 1.53 is a higher G color than the 1.6 J (has your girl tried on a J colored diamond, there will be a yellow tint) I also don’t like the dark streak across the stone.

E1B2D7C0-2E03-493B-9B78-AAB77EFA4EEB.jpeg

Here is the ASET comparison between the 1.6 and 1.5, both have pros and cons. The 1.5 has more red which means it’s going to sparkle like crazy but it also has some black which means there is a tiny bit of light leakage (I haven’t seen it in person but others have and all say they loved it), while the 1.6 has a lot more blue throughout the stone meaning the flashes won’t be as brilliant and again that streak really bothers me.

A9971599-D3A1-4CFA-9DE3-15720A522973.jpeg

For me the 1.53 and 2.01 are cut better than the 1.6, I like the 2.01 I color over the 1.6 J color (I color is safe for people who not color sensitive but it’s a larger stone so you might see slight color warmth in some lighting; also this is a far cry from the D/E/F you were first wanting). Lastly for the 1.53 I like the G color (will be white diamond) and even with it being Si1 the people who have seen it in person all say it is eye clean.

I still think it’s between the 1.53 and 2 ct., but then again 4K is a big price jump and that 4K could be spent on the setting instead. Can Jon not get a video comparing them all together? Also I’m wondering if he can send them to an appraiser for you to look at in person? Sometime people have had that done, they have diamonds shipped prior to purchase to view to a mediator and then whatever stones are rejected get sent back to the dealer.

Preowned is not a big deal

You are the absolute best - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

She has not tried anything lower than an H, hence my concern; I've heard a J has a stronger yellow tint than a G/H/I.

1. 2.01 I SI2 ASET https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn6l5YhAOto/?taken-by=augustvintage
  2. YouTube comparing the three
  3. Current setting idea
    upload_2018-10-30_21-19-3.png

@KKJohnson Any opinion on pave wrap vs hidden halo (over the prongs)

I hope to make a decision by tomorrow, so any other final insight would be fantastic. Fingers crossed.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok I am 31 seconds into the video and the 1.6 is totally out for me.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FB89015D-A26A-48FC-AFEC-0393CBF527D0.jpeg

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting is GORGEOUS!!!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the 1.5 in the sun better than the 2ct, the center on the 2 ct is doing something odd for me but maybe someone can chime in on that as well.

578BEE79-6357-4B2E-8379-F0CDF428E943.png

As for the setting how about doing this instead? Where the hidden halo is on the outside of the prongs? I think it looks cleaner and it’s a bit more unique
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmj6u6rl5Nl/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=ocujlijp6uf5

This is how the current setting halo and prongs would look IRL, hope this helps!
595EC0CA-BA95-4EFA-B904-56DC4C025E48.png

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let us know when you make a decision, ultimately you can’t go wrong with either the 1.5 or 2ct! Now I’m going to sit and watch for updates lol

Oh! Also updates on the setting as well! Can’t wait to see the finished product in your intended finger :kiss2:

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your choice. You have a rare, fine diamond. Please come back and post the finished ring. We all love to see fine jewelry.

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Back with more questions:
  1. Is having the shank taper from 2.2mm to 1.5mm too risky. I've heard I should avoid <2mm for structural integrity
  2. Should I make the prong meatier
  3. Will the diamond on the pave rails fall out easily? If so, should I just remove it all together.
  4. Open to ideas to make it more unique

image001.jpg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you have a full on side view of the ring?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Following up on KKJohnson's post, here's a photo of a 1.5 ct with a small halo on a size 5 finger. I wanted you to see this depiction of a real life ring because it does not have a pave shank & I'm thinking that a plain shank might better suit a woman who's said she wants "simple and elegant" ;))
MollyMalone - such a gorgeous ring. Is it yours?

YoManila

Rough_Rock

Hi @MollyMalone

I really like the delicate look of your halo! What size are the diamonds in your halo, if you don't mind answering? The oval diamond i bought is roughly 8x6 and I am considering the following:
  • 1.0mm is .005ct
  • 1.3mm is .01 ct (1pointer)
I am worried about integrity as well? Do you have any issues with diamonds in your halo falling out?

Thanks!

Last edited:

YoManila

Rough_Rock

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Top down view is classic but basic (everyone is doing them and you really cant mess it up) but the side view I dislike, the basket in my opinion is way too high (cathedral look that is either you like it or hate it kinda of thing).

SO in saying that what your lady tried on and liked? What type of work, activities, hobbies does she do, this is important since a high set diamond can get knocked around in certain situations. Also does she have a desire over how the wedding band sits (does she mind/like the gap between rings or wants a flush finish)? I know this may seem like a lot of questions but don't stress! This is the fun part

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Top down view is classic but basic (everyone is doing them and you really cant mess it up) but the side view I dislike, the basket in my opinion is way too high (cathedral look that is either you like it or hate it kinda of thing).

SO in saying that what your lady tried on and liked? What type of work, activities, hobbies does she do, this is important since a high set diamond can get knocked around in certain situations. Also does she have a desire over how the wedding band sits (does she mind/like the gap between rings or wants a flush finish)? I know this may seem like a lot of questions but don't stress! This is the fun part

I dislike the look of the basket in the photo too.

I have thought about the gap between the ering and band as well. She wants it to sit flush (see attached photo of current CAD render). She also works in an office so I don't think that is considered a high risk space.

Do you think 2mm is too thin and lacks integrity and will risk diamonds falling out? Open to 2.25mm ering as well but then I wonder if a 2.25mm wedding band for a total of 4.5mm is too much on a 4.25 ring size

For the halo, do you think 1/2 pointers (1mm) are too small? Would 1 pointers (1.3mm) make the ring too large on her finger?

Any thoughts on how the pave shank should be set? Does the image look okay?

Lastly should I try to reduce the space between the shank and undercarriage of the ring? Or is that extra space useful for cleaning?

received_709730002729431.png

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Update! I went with a 2mm shank (shared prong) and a 1mm halo.

Relieved of my over-analyzing self (at the moment) and excited to see the final ring. Also, can't wait to see the AVO in person!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good choice! The CAD looks good! Sorry work gets busy so answering is difficult

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results