shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me evaluate this princess cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PearlEarring

Rough_Rock
I purchased a princess cut (Square modified brillant). I am concerned I did not get a good deal. Specifically, the seller said, "This is a perfectly cut diamond" and now I do not know about the table and depth information.

Here are the specifications from the GIA certification:
M: 7.24 x 7.21 X 4.88 mm
2.09 carats
Depth: 67.7%
Table: 75%
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS1
Color: I
Fluorescence: None
Comments: None

I paid $10,000.
Will this stone sparkle? Are the proportions good? If not, how far off? Did I get a good deal?

I appreciate any and all help with any information due to my lack of expertise on the subject.

Thanks,

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Pearl, it's hard to tell without having crown height and pavilion depth information, but my gut instinct is that you've probably got an AGA Cut Class 2 stone there, which is a "fine make". That's not bad for a princess cut.

The price you paid, depending on what those crown height & pavilion depth measurements are, is very good to excellent.

When you look at the stone in person all questions will vanish. I think you're probably going to be pleasantly surprised.

PearlEarring

Rough_Rock
Hi Rich,

I really appreciate your thoughts on this stone. I have the stone by my fiance and I are having a bit of buyers remorse. We just don't know if we got a good deal but from your response we feel better.

Thanks again.
PearlEaring

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
I think It is a fair price , Even though I have seen some that are cheaper, on the net.or bigger for the same price.
From the measur. it looks like it is an Ok stone.

diamondsman

PearlEarring

Rough_Rock
So Diamondsman, you think it is just OK? Why not better than OK? What are the problems that jump out at you?

Thank you in advance for your time.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pearl,

site. The AGA is one of the few respected organizations that have attempted to grade cut quality on fancies, and from what everybody seems to say, their standards are pretty reliable. You may want to check them out to see what one expert considers to be the optimal proportions for fancies. They don't have valuation information there, but there are plenty of other sources for pricing available on the web.

-Tim

[/u][/u]

PearlEarring

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information. What does a Class 2 diamond mean? Is that on a scale from 1 to 4? It appears to me, from the chart you mention, that this diamond is okay, not great, but an okay one since it is just a little above average. Is that a correct assumption?

Do you know what the spread should be between the table% and the depth%? I was told the closer these are to each other the better. Is that correct?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
If the stone is cut correctly, it sounds like a good deal
1.gif
. The table it's a bit large, but it's still good/very good, the depth is very good, so I guess that it has a good cut.
Is the diamond set in a piece of jewellery or it's loose? If it's still unset you could send/bring it to an appraiser that uses a Sarin or OGI and you'll find out crown height % and pavilion depth %.
Important: how does the stone look to you? Just OK or beautiful? Is it sparkly enough? This is the most important thing...

Giangi

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
----------
What does a Class 2 diamond mean? Is that on a scale from 1 to 4?
----------

Pearl, the AGA Cut Classes are ranked like so:

1A Ideal Make
1B Premium Make
2A Fine Make (very good make)
2B Fine Make (good to very good make)
3A Commercial Make (good make)
3B Commercial Make (fair to good make)
4A Below Average Make (fair make)
4B Below Average Make (poor make)

The parenthetical descriptions are my "translations" of the AGA categories.

I think the diamond you're quoting falls somewhere in the "very good" or "good to very good" category. Crown height and pavilion depth will tell us which category.

The fellow was stretching a little bit when he said "this is a perfectly cut diamond". On his behalf, he might not have known better. What type of establishment is it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results